JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Please feel free to delete or move my thread if this doesn't belong here or anywhere else.

I am considering selling my vintage 1911, but I need help to find a fair price for it. I'm not a vintage 1911 expert by any mean, so I would really appreciate your help. There are things that I found about this gun after a research. But again, I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong as well. Please correct me if you see any errors.

1. The frame is from 1917 per the serial number, but the slide is a WWII USGI. There is a possibility that the slide is from 1918 per that's the 1st year of the Colt started appearing in the middle of the slide. (I could be totally wrong with this.)
2. The gun doesn't have stamps for rearsenal work, therefore the gun was parkerized perhaps by civilians.
3. Safety lever seems to be non-original.
4. I believe the barrel is from the Remington during WWII era, per the "P" stamp on it.
5. The magazine is not the original as well.

Thus, I know that this is a typical "mixmaster" 1911 that I know for sure that I will not make any fortune out of it. I just wanted to get some opinions for the reasonable price for my ad. The gun shoots amazingly good, totally functional. I shoot it routinely.

There were moments I considered to buy parts to 'correct' this gun. However, somehow I felt this would be a pretty rude approach to this old horse with lots of stories behind.

Offers in this thread will not be considered and the gun will be listed in the classifieds once the value is determined.

Thanks!

A96Y5185.jpg A96Y5186.jpg A96Y5187.jpg A96Y5188.jpg A96Y5189.jpg A96Y5190.jpg A96Y5192.jpg A96Y5193.jpg A96Y5194.jpg A96Y5195.jpg A96Y5196.jpg A96Y5197.jpg A96Y5198.jpg A96Y5199.jpg

Last Edited:
Cool gun.

They made a bunch of 1911's in 1918. Would be nice to have the serial number with last few x'ed out.
Helps ID the correct parts.
Is this a heart cut frame under the stocks?

A proper barrel would be H P marked on the hood. Might cost $500 if you can find a decent one.
But with the wrong slide why bother. I would leave it be. As you said.

The barrel it has now may be from Remington Rand. Not Remington.
Show me the markings and I can tell you?

Last Edited:
I love ya Certaindeaf. But you can be such a cranky pants. :D

When I here someone ask for a guns value. I guess I kind of look past the fact there selling.
After all that's the next step right?

Still. Your right. It's not the correct way to sell a gun here. Even though some people just want info.
Most just want to twist out a sale for top dollar and avoid the rules.

He did say we could move or delete?

I despise this ploy/tactic of selling crap here.

I love ya Certaindeaf. But you can be such a cranky pants. :D

When I here someone ask for a guns value. I guess I kind of look past the fact there selling.
After all that's the next step right?

Still. Your right. It's not the correct way to sell a gun here. Even though some people just want info.
Most just want to twist out a sale for top dollar and avoid the rules.

He did say we could move or delete?

OH NO!!!! :(:(:(

I apologize if my thread made you guys upset. It's is correct that I want to sell the gun. Otherwise, I would not have spent my time with writing this thread and taking lots of photos for it. However, it is also true that I only needed the information as well in this particular forum section. I was going to post my ad once I get the price info, and I thought this thread would be useful information for others in here as well.

However, I wasn't sure if I was violating rules, so I had to put the 'move or delete' disclaimer in the beginning. I was actually advised to post this by my range buddies at Johnson Creek Gun Club, but seems like I didn't make a proper move...

I have no problem to erase this thread if I can. (not sure I can still do it since I received comments from here?) But then... is it also OK if I just bring this question to the classified section? Let me know please!

Cool gun.

They made a bunch of 1911's in 1918. Would be nice to have the serial number with last few x'ed out.
Helps ID the correct parts.
Is this a heart cut frame under the stocks?

A proper barrel would be H P marked on the hood. Might cost $500 if you can find a decent one.
But with the wrong slide why bother. I would leave it be. As you said.

The barrel it has now may be from Remington Rand. Not Remington.
Show me the markings and I can tell you?

Thanks for the input!

The serial number is 163***. I don't know what "a heart cut frame under the stocks" means, so I will need to google tonight to get more info to give you an answer. I will get back to you later one this. Not sure if this thread can stay here? Otherwise, I will at least get back to you through PM.

Mine has only P marking only, yes when I searched it seemed like it was from Remington Rand since it only has one "P" mark on the barrel. I will post more photos of the barrel tonight. Absolutely. This one has been aged so good as it is right now. I would feel really bad to make a change to it...

Last Edited:
It became in my possession a while ago. Not a family inheritance. My family inheritance is the 1915 Savage pistol that was made in 1915. :) Something that will be passed on to my next generations.

It's worth about ten bucks. But, me being a nice guy, I'll give you twenty and take that problem child off your hands.

Actually, I have no idea how much it's worth. But someone here will be able to help you. GLWS

I dont know an exact value either,but I will be watching closely..hopefully,when you decide on a price,I will dive in and snag it:eek:

I think Medic is 100% correct with his evaluation,but even THAT is subjective.

OH NO!!!! :(:(:(

I apologize if my thread made you guys upset. It's is correct that I want to sell the gun. Otherwise, I would not have spent my time with writing this thread and taking lots of photos for it. However, it is also true that I only needed the information as well in this particular forum section. I was going to post my ad once I get the price info, and I thought this thread would be useful information for others in here as well.

However, I wasn't sure if I was violating rules, so I had to put the 'move or delete' disclaimer in the beginning. I was actually advised to post this by my range buddies at Johnson Creek Gun Club, but seems like I didn't make a proper move...

I have no problem to erase this thread if I can. (not sure I can still do it since I received comments from here?) But then... is it also OK if I just bring this question to the classified section? Let me know please!

Large bunch of people here. Far as I can tell you "bothered" one person who seems to need to switch to decaf. If the people who run the site had a problem the post would be gone. When someone goes off on some rant you ignore it. The net is famous for that.
As for price this is a VERY subjective thing with something like this. It has no real collector value do to it being a parts put together pistol. BUT, and here is the big but. Some still just go nuts over anything mil surp. These kind of 1911's were not long ago seen all the time. FAR more rare now. I have zero doubt some would be glad to pay enough to buy a new in box 1911. Assuming you are not in a hurry to sell this is what I would do. Put it up on the classified. They have one here. Ask enough to buy whatever nice gun you would like. See who bites and what they offer. To me it's worth only what a decent old shooter 1911 is. I have seen many pay 3 times that for something like this though. So if someone wants to pay you that why not.

I say the beauty in this gun is just the way it is. It looks right. It has the right, or right kind of parts and it just looks nice.
I looked around for something like this a handful of years ago and would have parted with a Grand, no problemo, for a gun like this.
Maybe I'm one that's all googly-eyes over something like this, but I'm not the only one. Nice, old 1911s bring pretty good money with the right audience for it's sale. And this sure appears to be a nice gun.

Large bunch of people here. Far as I can tell you "bothered" one person who seems to need to switch to decaf. If the people who run the site had a problem the post would be gone. When someone goes off on some rant you ignore it. The net is famous for that.
As for price this is a VERY subjective thing with something like this. It has no real collector value do to it being a parts put together pistol. BUT, and here is the big but. Some still just go nuts over anything mil surp. These kind of 1911's were not long ago seen all the time. FAR more rare now. I have zero doubt some would be glad to pay enough to buy a new in box 1911. Assuming you are not in a hurry to sell this is what I would do. Put it up on the classified. They have one here. Ask enough to buy whatever nice gun you would like. See who bites and what they offer. To me it's worth only what a decent old shooter 1911 is. I have seen many pay 3 times that for something like this though. So if someone wants to pay you that why not.

Why don't you just relax. Or switch to decaf.
I don't want to listen to you being just what you denounce. ;)

I say the beauty in this gun is just the way it is. It looks right. It has the right, or right kind of parts and it just looks nice.
I looked around for something like this a handful of years ago and would have parted with a Grand, no problemo, for a gun like this.
Maybe I'm one that's all googly-eyes over something like this, but I'm not the only one. Nice, old 1911s bring pretty good money with the right audience for it's sale. And this sure appears to be a nice gun.

A GRAND? I guess my offer of twenty bucks aint looking so good right about now...

IMG_0403.GIF

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top