JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, i'm trying to find the date of manufacturing of this Iver Johnson in 38 SW.
I think it's an early third model due to the patent AUG 25 96
The stamps on the barel, the cylinder and the frame, means that it has been nitro prof by the Birmingham prof house after 1954 (that's what i've found...).
If someone can help me to know more about this gun, i'll be thankfull. DSC_3922.JPG DSC_3925.JPG DSC_3926.JPG DSC_3924.JPG DSC_3940.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The Best First Date Tips For Women
  1. Plan ahead and go in feeling confident and relaxed.
  2. Dress appropriately and be comfortable. ...
  3. Let someone know where you're going. ...
  4. Take a deep breath and (ya, I'm going to say it) be yourself. ...
  5. Try to avoid serious or controversial conversation topics. ...
  6. Look out for red flags. ...
  7. Have an exit strategy and a wind-down routine.

Take a deep breath and (ya, I'm going to say it) be yourself. .

Be yourself... hmmm, I'm fat, ugly, losing my hair, old, only interested in sex, a poor conversationalist, still angry with my ex, highly anxious, have bad breath, don't dress well, smelly, have social anxiety, fear of crowds and strangers, poor social skills, aaaaaaaaaaaaaand........ I LOVE ARs!!!

OK... Dating was not the good word....I apologize...

Is there someone who can help me to find the year of manufacturing and the version of this model ?

Show me good views of the proof marks, and I'll give you a better idea of when THAT happened. But bear in mind that that will NOT be the dom, or even near it.

EVERY US-made firearm has to be proofed here in yUK or in any of the other 13 CIP signature nations, before it can be sold commercially.

Show me good views of the proof marks, and I'll give you a better idea of when THAT happened. But bear in mind that that will NOT be the dom, or even near it.

EVERY US-made firearm has to be proofed here in yUK or in any of the other 13 CIP signature nations, before it can be sold commercially.
Thank you all so much !
Here are some pictures of the BNP proof marks. Not verry good pictures, but that's the best i can do...

barel-jpg.jpg

bnp-jpg.jpg

cylinder-jpg.jpg

'kaaaaaaaay. What we are looking for is the actual view marks stamp from either Birmingham or London.

BNP = British Nitro Proof.

.38" = calibre

.767 = length of cartridge in decimal inches.

3 1/2 tons (per square inch sign) = nominal test pressure.

Birmingham -
Look for a pair of crossed sceptres - usually stylised and looking like thin swords X with a letter on each side and a number under the centre.

London - Crown over CP or arm and scimitar over NP.

If it's Birmingham, then dating it is VERY easy, if London, not so easy...

'kaaaaaaaay. What we are looking for is the actual view marks stamp from either Birmingham or London.

BNP = British Nitro Proof.

.38" = calibre

.767 = length of cartridge in decimal inches.

3 1/2 tons (per square inch sign) = nominal test pressure.

Birmingham -
Look for a pair of crossed sceptres - usually stylised and looking like thin swords X with a letter on each side and a number under the centre.

London - Crown over CP or arm and scimitar over NP.

If it's Birmingham, then dating it is VERY easy, if London, not so easy...

Thank you one more time tac !

There's no other stamp on this gun except the Iver Johnson stamp...

But The BNP stamp on this gun are not very old ? I've found 1954 until now.

The gun seem to be an early version of the smokeless powder Iver jhonson, that's what i don't understand...
Is it possible that it has been sold in the Uk a long time after the manufacturing ?
It's strange...

Heck, yeah. ANY firearm made in the USA for which ammunition is currently made MUST go through the proof process here, and, as I noted, in any of the 14 CIP nations. That's because the USA does not have any kind of federal proof facility. Most modern guns made in the USA and imported over here are only fired once in the factory, to prove they function - that does not cut the mustard here, désolée.

As an example, EVERY single Springfield Rifle Model 1873 in .45-70 MUST be proofed here, although they are almost 150 years old. We cannot have them as an antique, as ammunition is readily available...but the predecessor, the .50-70, can be bought by anybody over age 18.

You are totally correct with the dating, but it is very unusual not to find any other stamp. (Gallic shrug)

BTW, you are from further away than I am!! How did YOU get here?

Last Edited:
Heck, yeah. ANY firearm made in the USA for which ammunition is currently made MUST go through the proof process here, and, as I noted, in any of the 14 CIP nations. That's because the USA does not have any kind of federal proof facility. Most modern guns made in the USA and imported over here are only fired once in the factory, to prove they function - that does not cut the mustard here, désolée.

As an example, EVERY single Springfield Rifle Model 1873 in .45-70 MUST be proofed here, although they are almost 150 years old. We cannot have them as an antique, as ammunition is readily available...but the predecessor, the .50-70, can be bought by anybody over age 18.

You are totally correct with the dating, but it is very unusual not to find any other stamp. (Gallic shrug)

BTW, you are from further away than I am!! How did YOU get here?

I was looking on the web to know more about this gun, and what i've found here makes me think that it was the good place !
Members are very active and there is a lot of nice people here, like you are !

I've found another stamp but it doesn't seem to be a british proof mark... Maybe you know what it is ? (HB 2)
DSC_3953.JPG

I know what it is - it IS a Birmingham proof mark for 1982.

F B = 1980

GB = 1981

HB = 1982

JB = 1983

KB = 1984

The number underneath is the inspector by seniority - so yours was inspected by Mr Number One!

After 1984, they reverted to crossed sceptres, letter and numbers for the inspector..

When I locate my list I'll post it here for everybody.

Great !

So it means that this gun was imported in UK in 1982.

I have a part of his history now. Thank you a lot!

Now i hope that i can learn more about his American history. Specialy the date of manufacturing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top