JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to identify the rifle the lady is holding. I believe this photo is from 1948, and features my Dad and Grandma. I have the rifle he is holding a Winchester 62A. I think hers may be a Remington 341, but seems like maybe the magazine tube had become unattached from the barrel? Obviously, bolt action, tube magazine, large, maybe knurled, screw holding the stock to the action about 4" in front of the triggerguard. Forward end of the handguard is perhaps a distinctive indicator also?

Sorry about the photo quality. I continue to look through boxes of old photos and negatives for another photo.

Any help or leads appreciated.

-Big Al 1911

Shooting1.jpg Rifle2.jpg Rifle1.jpg

It's a bolt gun, not Semi-Auto. OP advised such and @Velzey's contribution caused me to verify.

The bolt is plainly visible near Grandma's (rather alluring in that fringed skirt!) exposed calf.

Therefore, with credit to @Velzey for blazing the trail, I'm going with a Savage Model 5.

Scan_20220308 (2).jpg

Ok this is weird there is three photos? I'm only seeing two and then an X
Last photo not loading. But if it does have a bolt Spitpatch is correct in it being the model 5 Savage.

Thanks all for the feedback. I had not considered Savage, but looking at the model 5, the front of the stock appears very squared off, and Grandma's gun appears very tapered/angled. My theory is the mount that holds the magazine somehow came disconnected, and thus the large gap and wire holding it. I've also looked at a Stevens (unsure which model) and a Winchester 72 at the last WAC show and ruled them out after comparison against the photos that I had on my phone. I will try to find a Savage Model 5 for an in-person evaluation.

As far as Dad, the 62A has a large thumbscrew for takedown on the left side. I think there may be something either on the negative or on the photo when I scanned it. If it's not a 62A, then it's not his, since I have it in my safe, and have other photos from a similar era with him shooting it.

Unfortunately, neither are still around to ask, I didn't find the photo until I was going though boxes of old photos from my parent's house. I'll keep looking, there may be more, or maybe negatives from the film roll with other angles.

Big_Al1911

I have focused (as I am sure others have) on key details such as presence or absence of flutes on the front of the comb , style of front sight, distance from tip of magazine to tip of barrel, and the taper of the front of the forearm.

Some of these criteria are more discernable than others in the photos.

The Rem 341 photo here shows a ramped front sight, initially disqualifying it, but perhaps that photo is of a later manufacture than the photo date, and the front sight was changed in the course of production.

What might seem to be a deal-breaker in this exercise might easily be not so definitive.

In regards to a 341 and a ramped front sight...the Remington 341 P ( for peep sights ) did have a ramped front sight.
The base model 341 did not have ramped front sight.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews