JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
DISLIKES:
*I greatly dislike having to mail a check every year. Let me give you a credit card payment for the next 5 years (non-refundable is fine) or put it on yearly auto renewal till my CC expires and I can forget about it.

You MUST pay in check? Well, as a not-yet-member I can say that I'm now a Not-ever-member. I don't use em, won't get em, that really blows.

There is a female RSO, seen her a couple times. She really hates people with semi auto rifles. Really bad attitude and hates people with AR-15s. Once I was shooting a bolt gun and over heard her tell another RSO to help her watch a group of people who were normal well mannered and shooting their AR-15 just sighting them in and shooting at a slow rate maybe once a minute or so.

She is the RSO that treats semi auto rifle owners like terrorists that I mentioned before. Most RSO don't even notice me when I pull out my SCAR 16s but she watches me like a hawk, never says hi, never talks to me when I say hi.

I really can say if the neighbors shut down TCGC, it would be no loss to the community.

There is a female RSO, seen her a couple times. She really hates people with semi auto rifles. Really bad attitude and hates people with AR-15s.

Unless it's a different woman, I can't say I had the same experience. I was blasting away with a M1A more than 1-shot-a-second and she didn't give me a second look. One crotchety fudd gave me crap for violating 1-shot-a-second rule with a 22LR pistol at the indoor range. He also happens to be the same guy who always asks me for my brass. I deliberately dump the brass in the donation bin to keep it out of his hands.

OK I'll Chime in here:

Been a member since 1994 and rules don't bother me. I've been "out in the woods" shooting and been somewhat fearful as others don't take some pretty basic precautions (Put down the beer and watch where your barrel is pointed dude).

Like:
Price, Close, and a ton of stuff to do.

Don't like:
Have to have release signed for guests. I like bringing people to shoot. It builds our sport like nothing else. But when you have to track down a RO and sign paperwork this sucks. I go skiing and don't have to sign a release. I think legal dept got club management in a lather now were all searching for a pen.

Unless it's a different woman, I can't say I had the same experience. I was blasting away with a M1A more than 1-shot-a-second and she didn't give me a second look. One crotchety fudd gave me crap for violating 1-shot-a-second rule with a 22LR pistol at the indoor range. He also happens to be the same guy who always asks me for my brass. I deliberately dump the brass in the donation bin to keep it out of his hands.

Tell the crotchety fudd to READ the rules...

I'm a TCGC member (with this year's renewal form sitting on his desk right now), and I give TCGC an A- to a B+ because I've found it WISE to keep a copy of the rules with your gear, and (politely) MAKE the RSO show you the rule if you are in doubt/conflict.

I got called for "rapid firing" my WASR-10 on the 100 meter range, but little did the RSO know that I was videoing my 30-round volley. I showed it to him and it PLAINLY showed me shooting a round about every .75 seconds (while standing), with only TWO rounds (out of the 30) going off in less than one second... still not a "rapid fire" according to the rules. (in a nice 30-round, 4" shot group while standing @ 50-yards... I might add :s0155: )

There was also another guy (who talked WAAAY to much and WAAAY to loud... I wanted to kick him in the shins, actually) a couple bays over shooting an AMD-65 and a PCL, so the weapons' reports sounded similar if not identical. The RSO was an older gentleman, and I think a bit "confused" (but he was nice about it, I must say).

He said, "rapid firing was more than ONE shot every second". I said, "that I read the rules and it said more than TWO shots a second". He said, "nope". I didn't have a copy of the rules with me so I sucked it up (that time).

From the TCGC rules:

Section II (Definitions)

B. Rapid firing: firing more than two shots in a one second period.

For those with low reading comprehension skills....

Rapid fire is MORE than TWO shots a second... Rapid fire is MORE than TWO shots a second... Rapid fire is MORE than TWO shots a second...

I'm a highly (military) trained/skilled marksman and I excel at CONTROLLED double taps (like the big boys do it) at no more than 1 second intervals (because of range rules), and THAT is NOT "rapid firing" according to the rules. I'm also a PAYING member that doesn't appreciate getting hassled for my money ESPECIALLY when I'm not risking anyone's health/safety and/or property damage, and NOT violating the published rules.

God help the female RSO if she (or any other RSO for that matter) gets snarky on my AR's or any of my other semi-auto hardware... Not only will I embarrass her in front of everyone as only a former Infantry Drill Sgt. can do, I'll file a formal harassment complaint against her... I'm one of those, "someone who you come across once in a while you should have never messed with", types.

Maybe anyone reading this who is SOMEONE at TCGC could bring this "rapid fire / snarky RSO" issue up and either PLAINLY STATE (in the rules) that more than ONE round a second is rapid firing, but lets get on the same sheet of music... hmmm?

It's too bad there's so many complaints about this range. I was digging around on the website and it looks like a really nice place.

It is a GREAT facility, and have no complaints actually... outside of that one incident I outlined above.

It's the internet, famous for complaining, not so much for complementing.

Hey... I inserted a compliment in my rant... the RSO WAS nice/pleasant through the exchange.

Consider this,
Hold a door open for a stranger and they remember you for a minute,
urinate on their shoes and they remember you forever!

NICE!!!

I really can say if the neighbors shut down TCGC, it would be no loss to the community.

I think it would be a great loss to the community if TCGC were to be close down. Then I'd be forced to either drive many more miles to a safe friendly place to shoot, or spend time risking my neck when I want to change my target.

Stomper while you may be correct about the rules on 2 shots per second, it still does not matter, TCGC rules are the RSO is absolutely correct on the spot, if you disagree with him you must not fight it on the spot but rather write the board about what happened and allow them to make the final determination.

Again, stupid club, I feel more like a lawyer there trying to read every bit of rules and wondering about the exact meaning and less about shooting.

I feel sorry for all the guys who think this is a good range, if just means you guys have never shot anywhere else. I've been a member of multiple private and public ranges in 4 states. This is by far the worst. The range run by the State of OHIO, yes the STATE had less rules than this place and the RSO who were wildlife officials where easier going and nicer than this bunch.

I can't really argue with the above fairly because I've never been to any outdoor range other than TCGC. There may be ones much better out there for all I know.

I will say that once you get certified to use the Action Range(s) it is 10x more fun. You show that you know how to safely handgun a firearm and get a lot more freedom of movement. You can shoot steel targets, work on transitioning around drums, etc.

I took a couple 10/22s and a Glock there by myself last night and really had a great time. I really prefer movement with my shooting vs standing still at a range and shooting at a target. Let's face it, if I ever have to defend myself with a gun that is not the way it is going to happen.

If you follow just some basic rules at the Action Range (less stringent than the other ranges) the RSOs leave you alone. No flags, you control your own range/area - it feels like being out in the woods without having to worry about hikers or other impediments. You can do controlled rapid firing also. (which is fine with my .22s and steel)

I bet that if they spent some time training and testing their RO that it would be much better.

It is the inconsistency that drives you crazy. If the RO's do nto know the rules then you have conflict

I've been a member for a couple of years now and I'd really like:
Indoor center fire pistol shooting;
Outdoor Conventional pistol range with lights (winter days can be pretty short!)
Higher berms in the action range (for obvious reasons)
Reliable supply of targets and target choices in the club house. This is pretty hit and miss on what is available and when.

It's an awesome club and range. Keep up all the good work.

The only female RSO out there I know can hit the end of a pencil head 20x times in a row with a .22 at 50' freestanding and do the same with a 4" bulls eye at 1000 yards with a high caliber rifle. Yes, she is a stickler for rules. Especially for guest releases. When someone has skills like she has I have to respect that and I'd like to learn from her sometime how to have such shooting control,

Pro: Large, fairly modern facility with a variety of ranges, 24hour indoor 22lr, current focus seems to be "Action Bay" (traditional independent shooting) and automated shotgun contraptions
Con: Rather stiff initiation fees and length of legal language expands every month.
-NO FULL AUTO
-NO 50 BMG

I still find myself going into the woods unless I'm shooting trap (thrower broke) because of the full auto and 50 BMG prohibition.

It's too bad there's so many complaints about this range. I was digging around on the website and it looks like a really nice place.

Filter all these negative comments carefully. I've been a member for nearly 12 years. I've had nery a negative experience at all. I shoot at the action range, the 100 yard utility range, the .22 outdoor range, static outdoor pistol range. All the R.O. 's I've been in contact have been courteous, friendly and helpful. I have several friends and relatives as members also. Not a word like some of the comments on this thread. If you go looking for problems, you'll likely find somethint to b**ch about! Greydog.

I have come down to three comments:
1. Site range is in good shape - many options And they are improving slowly over time
2. RO's very inconsistent from person to person - Again my belief that if you attacked that problem through training and testing it would be a much better site and most issues would go away. But that recommendation falls on deaf ears ( President)
3. Lowest ranking is the leadership - Poor leadership at the top - lots of "Leader POsitions" few leaders . Arrogance. If you like to sit in on bureacracy - this is it in spades. They move slow as molasses and fail to address safety issues in a timely fashion.

I alwya thought the attendance at the monthly meetings is a sign sucess or failure/ When you have to figure out if you have enough people to hold a meeting - That is a problem.
I second look at how the board members observe the rules - major problem there - so it is do as I say Not as I do management.
So again I place the issue directly on the President . board.

I bet if you brought in a new crew it could be shaped into something very good. But I seriously doubt that would happen - I thought the latest news letter said it all - Thye are taking recommendations for people on the board submit your training and experience to be considered by the nomination board.
Again reminds me of beauracracy and arrogance.

So if you want to enjoy yourself - you have to ignor leadership and take a copy of the Range rules to read to the RO's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top