JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I prefer lead but ITX caters to the muzzleloading crowd with ball and shot that are lead free and apparently work as intended.

Perhaps some people confuse shooting nails and what not from their muzzleloading firelocks with the trash that was sometimes fired through muzzleloading cannons. That ammunition was used enough to acquire a name: langrage.

Langrage_improvised_cannon_shot_Fort_York_Toronto.jpg

I have 11 reproduction cap and ball revolvers from a Walker down to an NAA .22 magnum cap and ball. All of them are a hoot to shoot but I only shoot what they were designed for: black powder or subs and lead balls, unless using them with my cartridge conversion cylinders. I can't imagine getting too much accuracy shooting junk out the barrel of a muzzle loader unless at point blank range. Pattern wuld be worse than shooting shot out of a rifled barrel. Also black powder is not too forgiving if there is any sort of air space between the powder and the projectile.

Since you mentioned safety Andy... Don't underestimate how much dammage BP guns can do. A couple years ago I shot a gopher in my mom's hayfield with a .45 colt SAA replica. The ball went through 4" of dry hard dirt, through the gophers head, and at least 4" more dirt before it stopped. I was impressed. Not even a max load.

"Often I have heard the statement:
That folks in the past would load rocks , glass , chain , nails and their ram rod down the bore and shoot the gun."

Andy

I recall a school field trip to the Chickamauga Battlefield many (MANY) years ago, and our guide said that after the battle some of the trees looked like porcupines because of all the ramrods sticking out of them. Whether that was true or not, I can understand that in the heat of battle, one might not have enough time to finish properly loading, and one just might have to choose between getting run through with a saber or firing a ramrod. People who would do such a thing intentionally, of course, are people I try to avoid.

If we are talking to people who are new to muzzle loaders we should also mention the need for cleaning compared to modern guns. My father in law gave me his Remington 700ml in 54 cal when it got hard to find that cal. I found a (I think) brand new ss barrel in 50 on eBay. Had it installed and had a great gun. I sighted it in and hunted with him a couple years. I approached cleaning like my other guns. That was a bad mistake. Now I need to try to find another barrel. Lesson learned.

Is casting lead a.k.a. "runnin' ball" as therapeutic as general reloading? I get dismayed at the thought of having a lube press. My first handgun was an 1860 Army knockoff
I hunted with a few guys who used front stuffers. I had a M1A that I considered a front stuffer. I had a friend who built his own .58 cal and the rust finish was lovely. I suppose some of our readers will think I am being cheeky here. The end result was a beautiful plum brown color.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top