Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Playing with his pistol in church...

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by chemist, Feb 18, 2012.

1. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

... and kills a young woman.
    Woman, 20, dies after freak Fla. church shooting - Yahoo! News
    Once again, the press reports that the gun shot itself, excuse me, "went off," and fails to mention if the shooter was the owner of the gun or the man to whom he was showing it - who was also the fiancée of the dead woman.

How many times has this happened? How many more times does it have to happen?? And why oh why does an innocent party have to pay the ultimate price???

I'm sure the men are sorry as can be, now that it's TOO LATE.:(

2. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Anywhere is unacceptable. Check the tube!

3. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

This wasn't a freak shooting. It was a result of negligent handling. Removing the magazine doesn't clear the weapon. I'm also willing to bet the gun "went off" because someone pulled the trigger.

People really need to learn how to safely handle guns. Clearing a gun is one of the most basic, fundamental techniques for safe handling.

4. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Hopefully someone else has an accident before this moron contributes to the gene pool.

MikeE, mjbskwim, Riot and 3 others like this.
  5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Finger OFF trigger and pointed in a safe direction.
    No sense in taking the gun outside to show it off or clear it
    Wonder if he knew the woman was behind the wall?

6. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

Another reason not to carry with one in the chamber.

7. chemist

Sure, it would've been incrementally safer if he carried empty-chamber. But it would've been safer still if he left it in his sock drawer, or never bought it in the first place!
    Somebody that does so many dumb things in a row may not yet be enough of a grownup to carry.

8. Fumes

Fumes Wa. Active Member

Doesn't matter they'll eventually learn to load themselves as well.:rolleyes:

9. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The irony-o-meter is pegged, on this one.

Here she is... was.

hannahkelley-facebook4.jpg

I'm usually the guy who says things like "the punishment of wearing that badge for the rest of his life is enough, in this situation." But this time, it's some jackass killing somebody totally unrelated to him. I'm sort of leaning toward this guy needing some criminal charges... how bubbleguming more negligent can you get?

10. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Are you advocating to carry without a round in the chamber? I'd disagree with that. If someone can't figure out how to properly unload a gun, they shouldn't have one.

11. noshis9s

noshis9s Bend New Member

How sad. At the very least he should never be allowed to own a gun again.

Just too bad being stupid isn't a crime.

12. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

=====================================================================

I was thinking about the "do you carry with one in the chamber" thread, which the few who advocated for not always keeping a round in the chamber were lambasted.

And although I don't carry period, which is why I never commented in that thread, I thought this was a good example why some should not keep a round in the chamber.

Some people should just not carry period, which is why I don't. And some that shouldn't, that still do, should maybe leave the chamber empty.

Not saying I am stupid, but I have done my share of stupid things in the past, and just that I do not have the muscle memory, and unwavering discipline at this point to carry safely.

lowly monk and (deleted member) like this.
  13. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

Another reason for proper education and training.

Stupidity goes both ways... people who fail basic handgun safety and people who try to defend themselves with a unloaded gun against someone with a loaded gun.

svtrc51 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Luieburger

Luieburger El Paso, TX Member

We all hate reading about these events. Thankfully they don't happen as often as the media would like us to think, but they shouldn't happen at all.

Be safe, don't play with guns, know where you are pointing, keep your finger off the damn trigger unless you are shooting it at something you are willing to destroy.

PinoyBoy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. chemist

16. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

First off he should not have been showing off or what ever, his handgun in church, second he was a fool without training or just plain careless. Accidents can happen but they usually happen to idiots.
    Now do a search... stabbings in the UK.........................................................

17. Fumes

Fumes Wa. Active Member

Better yet do a search on how many responsible gun owners get through every day without incident through using common sense. Oh wait you won't find any because that's not what the fear mongers want you to hear.
    And if you think there is not a round in the chamber with your powers of assumption than you shouldn't touch a gun at all, and if you think you shouldn't carry one in the chamber then you shouldn't leave the house with it. A bat would be more fitting.

18. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

The idiot shooter was a middle aged Security Guard for the County Schools. I assume the schools required firearms training.

He was showing how the safety worked without clearing the chamber first and pulled the trigger. Stupid. This has nothing to do with carrying it chambered or not.
    Here's pics of the shooter, victim and fiance/gun buyer. Tragic all around.

Pastor's daughter accidentally shot in head at church | church, zambrana, daughter - WPEC 12 West Palm Beach

19. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

20. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Idiot. There has to be a big price to pay for being this irresponsible and stupid. Maybe the victim's family will 'forgive' him in front of the judge; unlikely though since most religious types are not that way.

Sorry, as pro-gun as I am, and douche like this gets no second chances with a gun - no guns ever for life. Felony negligent homicide. 1,000,000,000,000,000 community service hours scrubbing the toilets at the church, gardening, cleaning up, and worse - he has to listen to every sermon, everyday for ten years. All of this after a lenient couple years in a cage.

Unfortunately, if this guy was a cop, he'd get a stern 'talking to', a week off with pay, etc.