JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
C'mon... gimme a flippin' break. This is such a weak concept, and I would imagine anyone smarter than a 5th grader could punch holes in this argument all day long... but it begs the question: Why is the AP pushing this weak-sauce out there again, so soon?! It's almost like they have an agenda or something... (laying the sarcasm on pretty thick there).

Distress call put out from Mexico to ban assault weapons
Associated Press
Oct. 14, 2009, 6:37AM

MEXICO CITY — The United States should reinstate a Clinton-era ban on assault weapons to prevent such guns from reaching Mexican drug cartels, former officials from both countries said in a report released Tuesday.

The group, which includes two former U.S. ambassadors to Mexico, also said the U.S. should do more to stop the smuggling of firearms and ammunition into Mexico by stepping up investigations of gun dealers and more strictly regulating gun shows.

The Binational Task Force on the United States-Mexico Border listed the assault weapons ban as a step the U.S. should take immediately to improve security in both countries. The 10-year ban expired in 2004.

"Improving our efforts ... will weaken the drug cartels and disrupt their illegal activities, and make it easier ultimately to dismantle and destroy them," said Robert Bonner, co-chairman of the group and former head of both the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and Customs and Border Protection agency.

U.S. and Mexican officials say drug cartels frequently use assault rifles, which are banned in Mexico but easily purchased in the United States.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon launched a nationwide crackdown on drug cartels when he took office in December 2006. The offensive has been met with unprecedented violence, leaving more than 13,800 people dead.

During his run for office, President Barack Obama promised to push to reinstate the ban. He has since said he would rather enforce existing laws that make it illegal to send assault weapons across the border.

Other recommendations related to border security included restructuring Mexico's law enforcement operations to create a counterpart to the U.S. Border Patrol, increasing U.S. assistance to Mexico to build up law enforcement and reducing demand for drugs in the United States through more treatment programs.

This is all about the Mexican govt's inability or unwillingness to control their own crime problem. If it weren't for the graft and corruption south of the border, they would probably have a standard of living that rivals the U.S. As it is, there's almost no middle class in Mexico.

I love how they take pictures of full auto AK's and RPG's and imply they are coming across the border from the U.S. There's an idea! Maybe I'll pick up an RPG at the gun show this weekend! :s0114:

C'mon... gimme a flippin' break. This is such a weak concept, and I would imagine anyone smarter than a 5th grader could punch holes in this argument all day long... but it begs the question: Why is the AP pushing this weak-sauce out there again, so soon?! It's almost like they have an agenda or something... (laying the sarcasm on pretty thick there).

Distress call put out from Mexico to ban assault weapons
Associated Press
Oct. 14, 2009, 6:37AM

U.S. and Mexican officials say drug cartels frequently use assault rifles, which are banned in Mexico but easily purchased in the United States.

I really wish they'd fact check their articles. Assault rifles have been effectively banned, or at the very least not easily purchased, in the United States for quite a while.

Easy enough to solve. We build a big fence as was promised in 05 and protect our borders! It would keep any weapons from being transported into Mexico from the US, and it would keep them from importing drugs and illegals into the US. Seems like a win win situation to me! Then all imports and exports would be controlled by both countries as they should be. I will bet that isn't a solution that Mexico wants though.

Easy enough to solve. We build a big fence as was promised in 05 and protect our borders! It would keep any weapons from being transported into Mexico from the US, and it would keep them from importing drugs and illegals into the US. Seems like a win win situation to me! Then all imports and exports would be controlled by both countries as they should be. I will bet that isn't a solution that Mexico wants though.

If you build it they 'WON'T' come.
:s0155:

Big Fence.:s0155:
Get rid of the corrupt politicians.:s0155:
Crack down on the drug dealers. :s0155:
Quit blaming law abiding US citizens for Mexico's problems.
We've said it all before. They just don't get it.

Mexico's government is even more corrupt than the one we just installed.. This whole "war" is over them wanting to control the drug trade..instead of the cartels..

CLOSE OUR BORDERS...NOW!!!!!

They could just declare the border the worlds largest free shooting range.

I think after the first couple weeks the targets would get real scarce.

Does anyone know what assault rifles the bad guys use down there

all the weapons they use are from the corrupt and deserting army personel,that's the M-16s you are seeing and hearing about,which do come from the U.S.,but they come from the government,not us.The AK's you see are coming from colombia,nicaragua,honduras,guatamala and el salvador via china and cuba.Gimmie a break.

Chris61182 suggests that the news media (the Government's anti-gun mouthpiece) should do a "fact check" before they print anything. The thing is, the "lap-dog" media NEVER let facts get in the way of the story they want to tell.

funny, Canada never complains about "illegal weapons" flowing north in large numbers...... so what is Mexico on about? Seems our neighbours to the north have effectively dealt with the problem on their end. Why not ours to the south?

Hmmmm.. seems the poor Mexican government needs to have a whinge elsewhere. But they won't. Mr O has pledged to give them what they want.... wish he'd give them what they NEED. Hmmm.. no there's a concept.

Mexico is having a "Civil War". The Mexican government is corrupt and unable to control the drug dealers and thus they pass the buck by blaming American gun owners. And, of course America's anti-gun crowd is playing the same card.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top