JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been on the fence on this for some time. On one side, when was the last time Joe Nobody really needed a chest rig/plate carrier in the last 40+ years? On the other hand, what's the harm?

I could do more than have $200 sitting in the closet. Maybe use it a few times for practice. Not to get on a bandwagon but am I missing something?

i really like wearing mine with my 300blk pistol on a single point sling. they just feel really good to wear. when i go shoot on public land, i plan on wearing it.

the way i look at it... if SHTF i'll be glad i have level 3+ armor in front and behind me.

COuldn't hurt - could be helpful to have if we see TEOTWAKI (you know, the cool acronym for SHTF before people got too lazy to type 8 letters instead of 4)

I've got a chest rig - non plate carrier style - and sort of wish I went with the plate carrier route, just so I could throw some of the less expensive AR500 plates in it. My cousin has a couple carriers, and a set of the AR500 level 3 plates - it's not terrible to wear, they're not terribly heavy. Anything that helps bulletproof you is a good thing if you expect to get shot at. If you've got the disposable cash to do it - go for it.

I see it as one of those things kind of like a parachute hope you never need it, but sure glad you have it. I run a hybrid with both soft and hard, customized with gorget (I learned from experience that it's really nice to have ) and find the best comfort and life span out of this set up! Mine is rated at 4+ with secondary crush/blast protection.
For most folks, A set of AR500 plates and a decent carrier is more then enough. I know a lot of fellas that run a lev 4 plate up front and a lev 3 on the back, this keeps the weight down by about 1 pound, and is pretty comfortable to wear!

I have always been a fan of these.
IMG_1049.JPG
Go for a plate or two made of AR500 in a decent plate carrier. It'll work just fine.

I have two plate carrier 's one is loaded with AK mags and the other is rigged for a AR each one carries Six mags the AR one also has 3 pistol mags and a CAT AND KNIFE plus I have medical supplies in a back pack my sister is a fire fighter EMT so I get some training on emergency medicine I also have gas mask and filters call me crazy but it took me some time to buy all this stuff little at a time if I was to buy it all at once I would be bankrupt lol

I think it is a good idea if you have the money to invest in a plate/armor carrier.
I wear the Oregon City Armor Carrier at work ( <broken link removed> ) and currently I run level 3A with Protech IMPAC Special Threat 7x9 trauma plates front and back.

I can also slip hard plates in my vest. I think the slim armor steal plates would work better with my vest, because I have ceramic plates and they are about 1 inch thick and they really bulk things up if I run soft and hard armor at the same time, but I digress.

Also one other thing I like to do is to use a vacuum sealer and the special air tight bags and make my own IFAC and slip it in my rig behind my armor. I make it as flat as I can and about the same size as my 7x9 plate so it fits nice in the internal pocket behind the armor.

Last Edited:
Yup, equip the family if you can afford to. Just gives that extra bit of insurance.

I just bought a 10"x12" AR500 plate from on here.

Fits one of our carriers well, but that ones all set, so I put it in my backpack for everyday carry.

Pretty convenient actually, and the backpack can be slung in front as well if need be. Will add a bit of insurance to get me home...

Mine are not made for everyday they are steal plates 8lbs each so that's 16 pounds plus the weight of Mag's and any thing else you strap to it there are lighter plates out there that they say do the the same thing but they are triple the price chances are you will not have time to put your plate carrier on unless the shot hit's the fan and you have time to get it together I also have a rig that carries 3 Mag's plus the one in the gun that will be go to first then if I have time put the plates on

I have been looking into those plates that go into a back pack for my nephew and niece light weight. Bullet proof plate that will stop pistol round because my niece and nephew never go anywhere with out there backpack

If you are gonna wear a LBV with all kinds of mags and gear attached to it, it may be a good idea to have a dedicated palate carrier, wear that, than put your LBV or whatever over it.... that way you don't have one carrier with a ton of stuff added to it on top of heavy plates in it already. My stand alone level 4 ceramic hybrids are also 15 pounds of dead weight (one plate is 7 and one is 8 pounds).

Also here are some pics of my vest :)
16649412_1172226949556965_6244884954609356547_n.jpg 16649382_1172226989556961_4397712869211781697_n.jpg 16602826_1172226992890294_5131302785024035316_n.jpg

Yep the rig I got that carries 3 Mag's is just a quick grab and go thing lol like a purse throw it over your shoulder and you could put plate carrier over the top of it if you had to

Basically the tan plate carrier is set up for me and my AR the other one is set up for my brother inlaw and my AK this is a last resort plan in the event of SHTF LAST STAND I can put my plate carrier on just like I'm putting on a AT shirt

But yes this is a big investment for something that might never be used so you might be better off buying food and water and others prepping stuff because spending $250 to $500 to sit in the closet can be a problem but buy what you think you need then go back and buy what you think you need plus some extra it might take awhile but little at a time adds up $20 a week or $50 a week out of your paycheck or less or more before you know it your a crazy person with a room full of guns and food and bla bla LOL

I have my eye on a Patriot Armor rig but the Portland gun show is also coming up in a few weeks. I've seen some stands there but never really looked into it. That always seemed like the "next step".

If I pick something up it will likely be steel. If I need it I really need it, type of thing. Your inputs have been helping. Thanks.

The AR 500 steal is good but like I said its heavy front and back is 16 lbs that don't sound like a lot but strap 16lbs over your shoulder and walk around for a day lol or March across the desert with it on and you will feel each pound

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top