JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have both. My PC is about 25lbs (Spartan AR500 armor with side plates). It's what I would wear for sure around the house in a WROL situation or where I am almost certain to have contact with bad guys.

Then again in a bug out situation or patrolling situation over looooong distances (I occasionally do 15+ mile hikes with a heavy pack in rough terrain) that PC is going to get really heavy. So would a chest rig be the better option in that scenario?

It's good to have options depending on the scenario, bow do you decide which option you wear?

If it weren't for the weight, I'd prefer something that stops bullets, but at the same time, weight is a consideration over long distances with a heavy pack.

Eagle RRV with Modular Plate Carrier rear plate bag; its basically a chest rig that accepts a 10x12 plate up front, and the Eagle rear plate bag is made to directly replace the back straps and shoulder straps of the RRV.

Blackhawk! Industries made a copy of the same thing by the way.

Best of both worlds really, you can carry the rear plate bag and front plate in a backpack then when needed, swap out and put on the complete package. No side pockets for side armor though.. this is primarily for mobility.

On the other hand, a simple front/back PC with either Swift Clip or custom mounted chest rig/tactical assault panel would work just as well.

Me? I usually use a LBE or large chest rigs but I do have armor carriers just waiting for funds for getting armor...

Edit. For my needs, a LBE usually does the best job, as I can actually not wet the entire front of my shirts from a chest rig.. or the entire torso from a whole 360 degree covering plate carrier... and seeing as heat injuries can make things even worse for people not acclimated to the heat... a LBE makes more sense given the season.

Still...he said slick plate carrier with chest rig...drop the carrier....makes no sense AT ALL.

Translation:

Wear a plate carrier w/o any integrated attachments underneath a separate chest rig that has all the fixin's attached to it, that way if for some reason you need to temporarily drop the weight of the steel plates yet still have your kit fixin's so you can do a task specific activity you'll have better options over what a combined plate carrier/LBE can give you.

Copy?

I have a HPG heavy recon kit bag, which is basically the civilian version of a chest rig. I can fit "mission critical" (lol) items in it, or 6 mags + a pistol if needed. As long as I keep magazines inside of it, it looks pretty low-profile, aka I don't look like a wannabe soldier.

I also have a plate carrier with all the fixings, for HD or total SHTF/civil war because I wouldn't want to look unfashionable at the end of the world!

Translation:

Wear a plate carrier w/o any integrated attachments underneath a separate chest rig that has all the fixin's attached to it, that way if for some reason you need to temporarily drop the weight of the steel plates yet still have your kit fixin's so you can do a task specific activity you'll have better options over what a combined plate carrier/LBE can give you.

Copy?

That makes no sense at all. :s0131:

Three options, if one must drop the weight of any of their gear other than melting pounds off their bodies :rolleyes:

1. Drop weight of pack-easiest; set up an OP or hidden base camp;

2. Drop weight of armor
Not so easy, upgrade to ceramics for best weight reduction, a slick rig could stay in a go bag, trunk, or hanging on the seat backs of vehicle

3. Drop weight of ammo&rig
The worst option of the 3; you lose your defensive options, and likely other needed gear like FAK, water, knife, pistol if carrying.

Three options, if one must drop the weight of any of their gear other than melting pounds off their bodies :rolleyes:

2. Drop weight of armor
Not so easy, upgrade to ceramics for best weight reduction, a slick rig could stay in a go bag, trunk, or hanging on the seat backs of vehicle

The worst option of the 3; you lose your defensive options, and likely other needed gear like FAK, water, knife, pistol if carrying.

FRAK!!!! I just ditched my FAK!! :eek:

2. Drop weight of armor

You COULD and SHOULD cache items all over AOO. I have thought about ditching long gun setups and going purely with a pistol. If can hit a balloon from 100 yards reliably with a handgun you are good to go in most cases. This would save a lot of weight.

You COULD and SHOULD cache items all over AOO. I have thought about ditching long gun setups and going purely with a pistol. If can hit a balloon from 100 yards reliably with a handgun you are good to go in most cases. This would save a lot of weight.

You could build a pretty light AR pistol that wouldn't add much over a normal pistol. The ammo weight is not much more due to the much lighter bullet.

Sure you might be accurate with a pistol, but a rifle bullet should hit quite a bit harder.

Nope nope nope .
The pistol is your back up gun.
Not a primary gun.
Get a AR pistol or a regular AR carry as much ammo as you can.
Then a pistol . probably 9mm because everyone has one and ammo would be easy to find.
With 3 to 5 extra mags.
I would never drop my rifle for a pistol.
JUST SAYING.
do what you want.

And if you are worried about the weight of a plate carrier loaded up with mags and a backpack full of gear.
If you are talking about the SHTF.
and a long hike .
For get about that if it comes to that.
You will be making short moves street to street combat.
Building to building.
Not a long hike up to the top of a hill to watch the sunset or sunrise.

We did recon missions without plates, some used them...most did not, wasn't worth the cost of mobility.

I find a good percentage of people that have them, don't give enough consistent training time with them.

Some that come to my classes with them drop them within the first hour or so.

Fitness, terrain and weather are my main questions. If you are walking flat terrain short distances or driving maybe the oc. Over 5 miles and most would take their chances without. For me a 5 miles walk and I'm still in housing developements.

Unless I was in a similar equipped group a pc plus a rifle probably not a great plan. A concealed pc & pistol is better, imo.

I always figured I'd get knocked on the head anyway, so I never bothered. Or, take one to the heart right as I took it off. Similar to that "saving Private Ryan" scene in the beginning where the guy had a bullet bounce off his helmet, then he took it off to look and got popped in the forehead? Yeah, that's me.

Soft Armor III+ with full coverage is how I roll, and I can add a slick plate carrier really easy to an old school H harness. it's a little bulky this way, but with just the soft, its a hell of a lot lighter then plates and with plates, its still doable for short stretches! My biggest concern is low speed punctures like knives or other close weapons and pistol protection, while the plates give me extra protection for rifle fire!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top