JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all!
I am fairly new to AKs, and have a question about mags for some of you with much more experience than I. I have always stuck to metal mags, both for my AR-15 (the Army issued me metal mags!) and now for my AK. I know people swear by Pmags and magpul studd for ARs, but what about plastic/polymer mags for the AK platform?

Opinions, experiences, preferences welcome and appreciated!
Chris

I use Tapcos in my NHM91 and Promags in my Saiga 12. Supposedly two of the worst brands out there but I've never experienced a problem with any of them. But I don't use them daily. I also have SGMs and AGPs for both of my Saigas and they've worked 100% too.

Metal feed lips are generally considered superior to plastic.

Keith

The only polymer mags I would use on an AK are the Bulgarian Circle 10s or Finnish Greens (rare). Some have used Tapco and Promag and never had an issue, and you may not either. But for me, I would not use any USA made AK magazines. This includes US Palm. They are usually not metal reinforced in the feed lips or locking lug or both.

Milsurplus Combloc bakelite or poly mags are GTG. Bulgy ((10)) and Russian Izzy/Tula in 7.62 are great. Stay away from the newer Bulgy mags with the bullets on the mag body and the newer Polish 7.62 mags (no steel feed lips).

Wow, first I've heard of the US Palms failing. That sucks.

You need to get out more. There were guys breaking them within the first month after they came out.

Big hoohaw over at Gabe Suarez's club house over it. As I recall, guy posted over there that he got his to break. He was banned by GS and the posts were deleted.

Of course, this was after Gabe was telling everyone that the Palm magazines would cure bad breath, make you feet smell better, and get you laid.

And he was selling them in his store too.

H

+1 for Circle 10's and those feather weight "Bulgarian" steel mags with the polymer follower. Those have done well by me.
But honestly, After you've purchased a few fine "worth while" or "SHTF" magazines, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy bulk loads of the el'cheapo Tapco magazines for training? And yes, I know they don't fit well in all rifles.. but I'd rather bash around a few craptastic mags and practice rather than banging up a few mags I spent $30-$40-$50? for.
Not only that, but if we had enough poor reviews as well as before and after range pictures detailing any stress wear Tapco may finally succumb to the requests of many AKM shooters and finally add a molded steel magazine latch, feed lips/cage and a rubber floor plate. But alas, that would jack up the price.. With new $$ for molds/poly blends/Beta testing..etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top