Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Plastic mags for AK 47?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by hackercat13, Sep 25, 2011.

1. hackercat13

hackercat13 Steilacoom, WA Active Member

Hey all!
    I am fairly new to AKs, and have a question about mags for some of you with much more experience than I. I have always stuck to metal mags, both for my AR-15 (the Army issued me metal mags!) and now for my AK. I know people swear by Pmags and magpul studd for ARs, but what about plastic/polymer mags for the AK platform?

Opinions, experiences, preferences welcome and appreciated!
    Chris

2. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Bugarian waffle circle 10 mags are the best polymeer mags out there for the AK platform. They compare to Pmags for the AR platform.

3. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

I am interested in the responses too.
    Mike

4. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I use Tapcos in my NHM91 and Promags in my Saiga 12. Supposedly two of the worst brands out there but I've never experienced a problem with any of them. But I don't use them daily. I also have SGMs and AGPs for both of my Saigas and they've worked 100% too.

Metal feed lips are generally considered superior to plastic.

Keith

5. CleverName

CleverName Southern Oregon Active Member

The only polymer mags I would use on an AK are the Bulgarian Circle 10s or Finnish Greens (rare). Some have used Tapco and Promag and never had an issue, and you may not either. But for me, I would not use any USA made AK magazines. This includes US Palm. They are usually not metal reinforced in the feed lips or locking lug or both.

6. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

Bulgarian ((10)) or commie metal. All the others are pretty much crap.

H

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I'm not a fan ANY polymer mag as I'm an all metal mag-man myself... however, no choice with my Glock but its got inner metal reinforcement and doesn't rely on locking lugs like an AK does.

8. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

Actually US Palm AK-30 mags are reinforced with Stainless at both the lug and lock tab + there is also a Stainless cage near the top of the mags (all of them).

9. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

Surplus mags have worked great for me!

10. hackercat13

hackercat13 Steilacoom, WA Active Member

Ugly! That is why I have a bias towards metal, but was wondering if I was missing out not trying polymer. I want reliability. Sounds like I may want to stick with metal mags.

11. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

The cracking feed lips will never happen with a Bulgarian circle 10 mag.

12. pogi

pogi Gresham, OR Active Member

Milsurplus Combloc bakelite or poly mags are GTG. Bulgy ((10)) and Russian Izzy/Tula in 7.62 are great. Stay away from the newer Bulgy mags with the bullets on the mag body and the newer Polish 7.62 mags (no steel feed lips).

13. H2O MAN

H2O MAN Georgia - USA Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I have a number of Chicom metal mags and Bulgarian circle 10s for my AKM.

I also have a few Chicom 75 and 100 round drums.

14. Caleqs

Caleqs Eugene, OR Member

Wow, first I've heard of the US Palms failing. That sucks.

15. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

You need to get out more. There were guys breaking them within the first month after they came out.

Big hoohaw over at Gabe Suarez's club house over it. As I recall, guy posted over there that he got his to break. He was banned by GS and the posts were deleted.

Of course, this was after Gabe was telling everyone that the Palm magazines would cure bad breath, make you feet smell better, and get you laid.

And he was selling them in his store too.

H

16. Caleqs

Caleqs Eugene, OR Member

Guess so. =)

17. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

+1 for Circle 10's and those feather weight "Bulgarian" steel mags with the polymer follower. Those have done well by me.
    But honestly, After you've purchased a few fine "worth while" or "SHTF" magazines, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy bulk loads of the el'cheapo Tapco magazines for training? And yes, I know they don't fit well in all rifles.. but I'd rather bash around a few craptastic mags and practice rather than banging up a few mags I spent $30-$40-$50? for.
    Not only that, but if we had enough poor reviews as well as before and after range pictures detailing any stress wear Tapco may finally succumb to the requests of many AKM shooters and finally add a molded steel magazine latch, feed lips/cage and a rubber floor plate. But alas, that would jack up the price.. With new $$ for molds/poly blends/Beta testing..etc.

18. CleverName

CleverName Southern Oregon Active Member

And a witness window on the side like a P-Mag. That would be a US mag I would buy!

19. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You can damn near run them over with a tank and they'll still work.

20. FMJ 911

FMJ 911 Snohomish, Washington Active Member

Surplus Bulgarian AK-47 mags work very good! I have 4 steel 30 rounders, and they are great quality.