JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I purchased ten 5-gallon plastic jugs that were originally used to import Vanilla. ( Bought on craigslist - <broken link removed> ).

I rinsed them thoroughly, then Dawn soaped them, then rinsed again (twice) and let dry. I then put a couple ounces of 90% rubbing alcohol in them and rolled around to coat the inside and then let evaporate.

I am hoping to use these for fuel, but could end up as water storage if that doesn't work out. Anything I need to take into consideration? How do I test if it's fuel-proof? If it lasts a day I'm good, or could gas eat through it slowly? There is a gasket, but is there a backup/trick to ensuring a seal? I'm thinking like seran wrap over top but under the lid, but I assume that wouldn't hold up to fuel. Maybe aluminum foil? Something else?

Anyway, what should I consider when using these for water and fuel storage? How do I test whether they can be used for gas/diesel?

Thanks in advance-
Nate

My advice would be DO NOT use them for water after you used them for gas. You could just buy the red 5 gal. gas jugs and use those for water, if they are tough enough for water you can then put gas in them. But DO NOT use them for water after you used them for gas. You could buy 5 gal. water jugs, fill them with Vanilla extract, empty them and wash them good and then fill them with water. If they hold water, you can then see if they hold gas. If they hold gas DO NOT use them for water, they will NOT work. :s0102: :s0083: :s0077: :s0092:

It ain't all the same!! Some materials are manufactured for different purposes. If'en those containers were used for food, chances are water storage would be ok.

Use only approved containers for fuel!!!And so plainly marked for gasoline, diesel, etc.

Foreverlost,

Plastic has pores. When I was in the route business selling to restaurants, a somewhat common error would happen if the (uneducated) kitchen help would pour leftover milk based products (like gravy or cream soup) into those green pickle buckets. Even though they had been washed through multiple cycles of their (commercial) dishwasher, the remaining vinegar in the pores would 'break' the gravy/soup and they'd lose the whole batch.

I have those same jugs but they are dark blue in color, originally they contained antifreeze. I used them to store diesel and in this case they worked fine for over twenty five years.

I have had varying degrees of success [mostly limited and short term] using white containers for fuel storage even short term they do not seem to last very long.
I do have one white six gallon jug that did hold up long term storing diesel.
It seems pigmented plastic works best against UV also, as the sun can also destroy plastic if it is not built to resist.
Silver Hand

Nate
Is there a symbol and letters on the bottom of the jug?
Yes.
Plastic #2 – HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)
  • Plastic #2 is typically opaque and picked up by most curbside recycling programs. This plastic is one of the 3 plasticsconsidered to be safe, and has a lower risk of leaching.
  • It's found mostly in milk jugs, household cleaner containers, juice bottles, shampoo bottles, cereal box liners, detergent bottles, motor oil bottles, yogurt tubs, and butter tubs.ilk jugs, detergent bottles, juice bottles, butter tubs, and toiletries bottles are made of this. It is usually opaque. This plastic is considered safe and has low risk of leaching.
I also found plastic gasolene containers made of HDPE.

Thanks guys for the concern, but I have no intention of putting water in them after gas ;) I bought them because they were $6 each vs. $20-30 for a red one with spout. They would be stored in a shed out of the sun. I guess the main concern is whether they'll melt with gas/diesel or not. and how best to keep them from leeking (if I have to trailer them a couple hours away) Probably not a problem, as I'll just keep them upright.

-Nate

Not all plastics are created equal.I would store gas in 1 for a while and see if it lasts.
I wouldn't bother to coat the insides with rubbing alcohol cause it won't do any good with gas in there and I sure don't want it in there for my drinking water.Rubbing alcohol has something like baby oil in it?

Stealth-x,
Sorry about the miss read on the original post.
Those would work actually pretty good I bet.
I put gas in an opaque one gallon chlorine jug from my pool supplies and the gas has been in there for over a year.....stored outside. Has worked perfectly.
Saw the CL post, good find and a good buy if you get a few to lower the price. Otherwise.......hello Walmart red gas jugs.

I'd compare the stamps on the bottom of your new containers with the stamps on the bottom of the fuel centainers.

The invisible demon to some plastic, aluminum, & rubber would be ethanol....unless your'e buying clear gas..

Since BiMart sells the 5 gal blue jugs for $9.99 (when on sale), they are a good bet;they fir perfectly into milk crates. They also sell white fuel containers for the off road driving customers; the stamps on the bottom of those could also be compared.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top