JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a dude in my 20's and I plan on hunting a deer with a gun in 2017.

I come from VERY hardcore anti-gun family, so no one thought me this stuff at all, which is why I am here. I do know I need a license to hunt, but do I need to take a hunting class?

If yes, where do I go? Im near the Portland area.

Also, regarding deer tags, where do I buy them? Do they sell it at Cabela's?

thanks for your help

Yes you will need to take the Hunter Safety course.
Contact your Oregon Fish and Wildlife Dept. for a list of where you can take the course.
You need a hunting license and tags most sporting goods stores sell them.
Andy

In Oregon just do the hunter safety class and get your license & tags. Just be sure it's the right season...

giphy.gif

Also practice with your rifle a lot!
Try shooting from "hunting positions" ( off hand , kneeling , sitting etc ... ) not just from off the bench.
Get and stay fit.
Hiking with your gear is a great way to break in boots , your ruck and other gear.
It can also serve to get the "bugs" out of your gear or see how it works outside of the store.
Andy

I am a dude in my 20's and I plan on hunting a deer with a gun in 2017.

I come from VERY hardcore anti-gun family, so no one thought me this stuff at all, which is why I am here. I do know I need a license to hunt, but do I need to take a hunting class?

If yes, where do I go? Im near the Portland area.

Also, regarding deer tags, where do I buy them? Do they sell it at Cabela's?

thanks for your help

In Oregon you don't need to take a hunter safety class if your over 17 yrs old, so your good to go. Not that I'm discouraging you from taking a class... I'm going to encourage you to do so, since you said your from an anti-gun family and no one has taught you this stuff. Gun safety and hunting ethics are paramount in the field regardless if your on public or private lands.

give some gun clubs a call and ask about hunter education classes. If you can join a gun club range, you will need to spend time with your rifle. learn how to estimate range/distance in the field and don't take shots beyond what you have actually practiced, know whats beyond your target.... memorize Jeff Coopers 4 rules to gun safety.
Jeff Cooper - Wikipedia

Yeah read the regs closely. Then read them a couple more times.
O out with your hunting gear, minus rifle, and the boots you will wear.
Get a map of the area you'll be in and just go explore that area. It will help you a ton come hunting season.

Make a checklist of stuff to bring, but when your hunting, pack light!
After a couple times out you'll realize how little you need until you shoot something.

Bring a good sized water or camelbak and some snacks.

And remember getting out in the woods is the best part, getting dinner is a bonus.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top