JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yup, its a lot of work but worth it to learn to provide your own food. Dont get discouraged if it takes a few years because the average rate is only about 15% and half of that is from hunters with access to private lands.

I didnt get mine last year.... Came close, but he outsmarted me by one footstep.

Go to caltopo.com. in the upper right corner is a pulldown menu, select "land management" and wait for it to load.
I figure getting the big game will be sparse. But I will be hunting birds as well during their respective seasons.

I figure getting the big game will be sparse. But I will be hunting birds as well during their respective seasons.
I took up grouse hunting last couple years because I always see them scouting for deer season. Great way to go about it all, pretty much spend all my time in the woods between Sept thru elk season.

I took up grouse hunting last couple years because I always see them scouting for deer season. Great way to go about it all, pretty much spend all my time in the woods between Sept thru elk season.
Being new to the state I really hope I can get out there often, especially with my wife. Being fat its gonna be "fun" getting in shape for the coastal hills.

Last year was my first time hunting in WA. Been a life long hunter in the midwest (Minnesota, Iowa, South Dakota). I gotta say that I was very disappointed in WA. The state just sells as many licenses as people will buy consequently you end up with a freeway of orange walking around areas no matter how remote you think it is before season. I was up 5500+ ft in elevation, 20 miles from Canada and it was still a pumpkin patch.
Too many hunters, confusing litany of rules, it was bad experience. The Only way I can see hunting out here is have or know someone with land.

Anyway, I'm going hunting back to South Dakota this year. Plenty of deer , fewer hunters, clearly marked maps FREELY available from the State on where you can and can't hunt. Just need to winterize a bit more.
L8rz.

Already started scouting in a couple of places along the coastal range. I don't expect anyone to give away their hunting spots or anything like that. I am just really looking forward to my first hunting season and wanted to share with somebody as my wife doesn't really share my hunting passion.

Last year was my first time hunting in WA. Been a life long hunter in the midwest (Minnesota, Iowa, South Dakota). I gotta say that I was very disappointed in WA. The state just sells as many licenses as people will buy consequently you end up with a freeway of orange walking around areas no matter how remote you think it is before season. I was up 5500+ ft in elevation, 20 miles from Canada and it was still a pumpkin patch.
Too many hunters, confusing litany of rules, it was bad experience. The Only way I can see hunting out here is have or know someone with land.

Anyway, I'm going hunting back to South Dakota this year. Plenty of deer , fewer hunters, clearly marked maps FREELY available from the State on where you can and can't hunt. Just need to winterize a bit more.
L8rz.
Having never hunted big game period. I am gonna have to give it a whirl here in oregon where it will cost me less in general. As much as I would love to hunt in another state I just cant afford it yet.

I actually dont have much if any gear. So I am collecting it as quickly as I can.

Just don't get suckered into a pile of gear you won't use. There are for sure wants on top of Needs but there is a lot you can get away without.

Imo - boots broken in and waterproof gear isn't probably the most important. Anything else you can get is just luxuries.

I.e. You can cook over a fire if you don't get a propane cook top, flashlights instead of lamps etc.

Otherwise, sleeping gear is also needed if you are going for days instead of per day.

L8rz.

SW WA has some nice hidden spots if you know how to get there.

I've not tagged anything (seen lots of fresh sign) but I also don't see hardly any hunters, maybe 1 a day at most if that. That's in modern firearm season.

L8rz.

I hear the hunting is better out there, but its managed much differently. i thought they dont have near as much public land as we do so its easier for them manage hunt areas your restricted to.

Out here its a lot of public lands, but then its a free for all as to where to go and hunting pressure. The hunting is not as good the farther out you get from agricultural lands (private) but if you work at it you can find a few spots away from the crowds.

Just don't get suckered into a pile of gear you won't use. There are for sure wants on top of Needs but there is a lot you can get away without.

Imo - boots broken in and waterproof gear isn't probably the most important. Anything else you can get is just luxuries.

I.e. You can cook over a fire if you don't get a propane cook top, flashlights instead of lamps etc.

Otherwise, sleeping gear is also needed if you are going for days instead of per day.

So far my biggest purchases has been a day pack (I have had an ILBE for years for multi-day hikes). I will need to be buying a wet weather jacket for hunting season. But I figure I can get a better deal on those closer to summer. Same goes for base layers and other cold weather gear.

My problem is I hate rain gear!! I mean hate it. In my experience rain gear is loud and makes me sweat so I get wet either way. Had a really nice outback jacket that worked amazing until some bubblegummer stole it. haven't had the money to replace it. :(

Cotton kills in inclement weather...

And stay away from goretex, too noisy.
Look for "softshell" material thats been treated with weatherproof wash.

My problem is I hate rain gear!! I mean hate it. In my experience rain gear is loud and makes me sweat so I get wet either way. Had a really nice outback jacket that worked amazing until some bubblegummer stole it. haven't had the money to replace it. :(

When I had a cash flow I spent a good amount for a mid range jacket and it is light and soft and waterproof.

My wife has a no hunting camo gear around town Request or else I would wear that thing every day:rolleyes:.

Of course I had to get pants to match it so that's my hunting gear.

Oil my boots well and my feet stay dry - my only issue is gloves, damn things get soaked and then I'm miserable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top