JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's a benefit to multiple hunting partners too, putting pressure on the herd and directing them toward your ringer. Considering the success rate for coastal hunters is <15%, if you harvest, everyone walks away with something.

get out in the woods, look for sign, dont make noise and be alert. most of my filled tags have been pure dumb luck.

IMO you're more likely to have a deer walk out infront of you than to spot and stalk one. this is why i mainly gun hunt deer. i have taken deer with my bow but it is HARD.

elk are a different story. during archery season i was hunting the trask unit for a out 4-5 years. when i started hunting that unit it was open for cow elk also. it no longer is. i kick myself now because i passed up on SOOOOOOO many cows.

from what ive learned coast bulls dont seem to be as vocal as the ones over east. either way, a bull elk is a very very smart animal and usually know youre there before you know hes there.

last year was my first eastern oregon elk hunt. we started out in the ukiah unit and eventually ended up down by granite in the desolation/starky unit.

on opening day, i was drawn back on a cow elk that was no more than 10-15yd from me but behind some reep-rod. i held that bow drawn for over a minute. my left arm gave out and my bow cam hit me above the eye splitting my eyebrow open. blood everywhere. i got scoped with a bow. LOL!!

bleeding everywhere, i look at my buddy and he is like "WTF!!!hospital hospital hospital!!!" being miles away from any road, we were able to field repair this gash.

after the commotion, we figured there were no more elk in the area. i said what the heck and let out a mew with one of my calls. INSTANTLY, another cow elk comes barreling towards us. it stops 30yrd right infront of me. wind was perfect,elk was broadside, i took my time with the shot, good release... arrow hits a twig on a small tree/bush i didnt see/realize was there and deflected down straight into the dirt. i missed. elk GONE. thats bow hunting.

a month later, i shot the biggest buck i ever have harvested. it was in the same unit no more than 5 miles away from where i shot at and missed that elk.

my point is, huntings tough. it takes hard work, blood, sweat, and tears but, hardwork pays off but also, with hunting, sometimes theres no rhyme or reason for why things happen.

Good luck my friend!

@Joe13 Hey I'm in for hunting this year. I haven't been hunting in probably 10 years and really want to get back out there. My son was born on opening weekend so that really put a damper on hunting.

when the wife and i were planning our wedding the ONLY thing i requested was NOT DURING HUNTING SEASON. once we were on the same page it was all nods, smiles and "yes,dear" from me.

LOL

same with our first child. his birthday is not in hunting season!

i know i know im terrible.... or am i?

We've done well on the coast for years. Mostly Coos County. Really thick terrain though. Most shots end up in the 50yd range or less. Have even had them within 25ft. It's hard work in the coast range, but it's cool when it pays off.

We've done well on the coast for years. Mostly Coos County. Really thick terrain though. Most shots end up in the 50yd range or less. Have even had them within 25ft. It's hard work in the coast range, but it's cool when it pays off.
You're in Sixes unit there, right? Controlled tag only, IIRC. Nice area too!
I was just north of the Umpqua this year, and with all the clear cuts, didn't see shizzle.

You're in Sixes unit there, right? Controlled tag only, IIRC. Nice area too!
I was just north of the Umpqua this year, and with all the clear cuts, didn't see shizzle.
Siuslaw or Tioga units typically. If we get it that is. Hood is another area we go, but again, dense as hell. I'd love to hunt the Eastside, but haven't yet.

Well the more you go out and hunt ... the more you learn.
Even if you come home empty handed at the end of the day.

My best advise is to get fit and really learn your rifle.
Like a part of your soul or body learn it.
Carry it hiking and camping , learn to hit with it in bad weather , when you are cold and wet or hot and tired.
Shoot often and shoot of the bench.

Learn all you can about Deer and Elk ... Not to get too new age touchy feelly ... but if you really know the critter you are hunting , you are a better hunter.
And lastly always give thanks for the animal you killed ... He deserves your respect.
Andy

Awesome post Andy. That is a wall hanger...

Oh, and watch lots of videos on YouTube on how to properly skin and gut efficiently.

Especially if you are even the slightest. It squeamish about the process - it will help desensitize you.

(I'll admit I had to get over that hurdle - the wife banned me from those videos while she or my vegetarian daughter were in the house lol)

Wow, what did hunters do before the Internet?:eek::eek::eek::p

Wow, what did hunters do before the Internet?:eek::eek::eek::p

I assume they learned from their elders generation after generation.

As the OP has stated and as is my case I've had to jump into the deep end of the pool and hope I can swim. Using the learning tools available like YouTube (fits my learning style better then books - hands on learning would be even better) at least gives me a fighting chance of possibly filling a tag and not ruining a whole carcass since every single person that has offered me help lives in OR and is unable to actually hunt with me.

Yes, I'm ashamed my dad didn't even pass down his limited bird hunting experience with me, but you gotta roll with what life gives you.:rolleyes:

Looks like I have a set hunting partner that I actually get along well with this year now so hopefully we will bring home something between the 2 of us and I'll come home with more knowledge then I currently have.:cool:

I'm excited to watch that Meat Eater series after some of the comments about it now too.

Some technology is pretty helpful, I just wish they didn't make things to break instead of making tool like they used too:p

I assume they learned from their elders generation after generation.

As the OP has stated and as is my case I've had to jump into the deep end of the pool and hope I can swim. Using the learning tools available like YouTube (fits my learning style better then books - hands on learning would be even better) at least gives me a fighting chance of possibly filling a tag and not ruining a whole carcass since every single person that has offered me help lives in OR and is unable to actually hunt with me.

Yes, I'm ashamed my dad didn't even pass down his limited bird hunting experience with me, but you gotta roll with what life gives you.:rolleyes:

Looks like I have a set hunting partner that I actually get along well with this year now so hopefully we will bring home something between the 2 of us and I'll come home with more knowledge then I currently have.:cool:

I'm excited to watch that Meat Eater series after some of the comments about it now too.

Some technology is pretty helpful, I just wish they didn't make things to break instead of making tool like they used too:p

If you dont watch seasons 5-6 on netflix tonight I will be most displeased with you.

If you dont watch seasons 5-6 on netflix tonight I will be most displeased with you.

Gotta catch it during a time when the ladies are out of the house...

Kids a vegetarian going on 8 years now and my wife wouldn't even touch a piece of meat if it had a bone in it - although she has come a long way and supports me hunting, she just wants nothing to do with it (she will eat meat I've deboned now at least:D).

I'm going into an interview for a job I want very much soon so maybe if I can get home early enough then I'll get started on it to decompress;).

Gotta catch it during a time when the ladies are out of the house...

Kids a vegetarian going on 8 years now and my wife wouldn't even touch a piece of meat if it had a bone in it - although she has come a long way and supports me hunting, she just wants nothing to do with it (she will eat meat I've deboned now at least:D).

I'm going into an interview for a job I want very much soon so maybe if I can get home early enough then I'll get started on it to decompress;).
Sure does sound to me like you should be watching that show in your home at all times. Kid wants to be veggy thats fine but its your home right?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top