JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As an Washington resident I live 25 minutes out of Tacoma but work in Tacoma everyday for the last 2 years as I was previously in Seattle for almost 20 years. Seattle is trying hard to be San Francisco and Tacoma is light years away from that in a positive way. Tacoma has it's bad parts but has really improved greatly in the last 20 years. Tacoma is still of city of 215,000 people so you'll find your share of knuckle heads but nothing like it was in the 90's.

Welcome to NWFA.

Tacoma has a few rough areas but it's not what most people think. Stay away from the east of town Portland ave area and you will be fine. I live in hilltop. The city and the UW have poured a lot of money and resources into it. Like db said it's not like the 90s anymore.

Thanks everyone! Today I accepted a position in Seattle! I will probably buy in Puyallup as soon as I sell my house here in California. I hope to be a Washington resident in four weeks. Is there anything you all recommend I buy before moving there? I can't think of anything that I could buy in California that I couldn't buy in WA, but I might be overlooking some WA nuance.

You will have to wait 90 days before you can apply for you CPL. Another hint, if you don't have a passport apply for an enhanced drivers license if you think you might be visiting British Columbia. It also helps if you plan to make any domestic flights. Be prepared for some very nasty traffic jus about anywhere in the Seattle area.

Puyallup has some very nice Gun clubs but membership can be kind of steep.

Congrats, I second the recommendation of the Paul Bunyan shooting range on south hill. I grew up in the Puyallup valley, and if I was to buy a house there I would find something in Edgewood aka north hill, or west south hill, I loved the valley as a kid, but the homeless issue has increased along the rivers ive noticed over the years. And traffic on south hill, meridian in particular is horrendous at all hours of the day now due to the massive influx of folks and lack of city planning. Quite a few folks I know in Puyallup work in Seattle and commute via the sounder train, I hear its better than driving as long as it works for your schedule.

Last Edited:
Bonus, as long as barrel length is under 16" you can carry an AR15 pistol on your CPL. :) Take a Mk 18 upper (no suppressor of course, I use blast-deflector collars as a substitute), slap it on a lower that has a pistol brace and LAW sidefolder, and you've got a pretty decent and totally legal to keep loaded Bugout Bag/briefcase-carry gun. Can't have loaded rifles in vehicles, though, Fish & Wildlife thinks even on I-5 you're a poacher.

Thanks everyone! Today I accepted a position in Seattle! I will probably buy in Puyallup as soon as I sell my house here in California. I hope to be a Washington resident in four weeks. Is there anything you all recommend I buy before moving there? I can't think of anything that I could buy in California that I couldn't buy in WA, but I might be overlooking some WA nuance.

There are a LOT of nice parts of east Pierce Co, like where you are talking. The commute to Seattle now that is a B!tch. If you work off hours it can be fine. If you have the standard day hours you better be prepared. I recently moved into East Pierce County after decades in Tacoma. LOVE IT!! Since I work nights commute is a snap for me. Wife has it a little worse. Best part is now that we have been here for a couple months I still have yet to see a single Pitbull. :)

For an AR15 you need to take off anything that makes and get a stock without a pistol grip in California. You don't have to do that yet in Washington state but the liberals in Olympia, and Seattle are trying their best to disarm everyone but law enforcement. When you move up here an apply for driver's license make sure you register to vote as well.

Last Edited:
For an AR15 you need to take off anything that makes and get a stock without a pistol grip in California. You don't have to do that yet in Washington state but the liberals in Olympia, and Seattle are trying their disarm everyone but law enforcement. When you move up here an apply for driver's license make sure you register to vote as well.
Also, find out who your Republican PCO is and if your precinct, like so many, doesn't have one start the process of becoming one. WSRP needs more pro-gun activists and less spineless jellyfish like Roll-Over Rossi...

Unless your taking the Sounder Train, the traffic north to Seattle each morning will have you in traffic for 70-90 minutes each way. Either buy further north, ride the train or get used to spending 2.5-3 hours in your car each day. Ask me how I know...LOL.

It looks like I'll be renting a small house (2 bedroom, 1100 sq ft?) for a couple months while I finish selling the California house and buying in Washington. Puyallup looks like target area, but I'm not dead set on that exact town.

It looks like I'll be renting a small house (2 bedroom, 1100 sq ft?) for a couple months while I finish selling the California house and buying in Washington. Puyallup looks like target area, but I'm not dead set on that exact town.

Thats a great thing. I would spend a couple of months here before buying. Traffic can affect that decision greatly, oh and traffic up there sucks!

Stay out of the valleys if you can... Just In Case. Rainier decides to barf a lahar, everything from it to the Duwamish in southern Seattle is toast, ditto the Puyallup River floodplain all the way to Port of Tacoma or the Nisqually River down the west side of Ft Lewis and up the Pierce-Thurston County border area.

Even if they somehow became a Sanctuary Area where NFA and all other gun control was null and void, you couldn't pay me enough to live in the Orting-Kapowsin-Wilkeson-Carbonado area because of the little-to-no-warning lahar/mudflow threat.

Last Edited:

That will give you a great chance to look around. Most of East Pierce (like Puyallup) is quite nice and affordable compared. Only down side as mentioned by a few is going to be that traffic if you work "normal hours". If you can get hours that allow you to not be out there during peak time it's easy.

Puyallup has some really nice areas and you can hop 167 north. It will still be quite a daily commute to Seattle.

I'm really glad you avoided Fife. I know some people who rented there thinking it was convenient because it's just off of I-5. Fife has a lot of issues to include bad air during the winter. Another place to avoid is Federal Way (AKA "Felony Way").

Welcome to Washington! Every state has it's good and bad. Puyallup is not far from Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) so you have access to military facilities. If you hunt, there is decent duck hunting on JBLM. You can also hunt deer there. I have also been hearing reports of elk showing up too. Every fall there is combat fishing in the Puyallup River. Mount Rainier is not that far away either. Have fun!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top