JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

To prevent the (understandable) tar and feathering, I will first say that I was born and raised in the Midwest and am a military retiree.

I am assembling the various pieces of a move from California to Washington. I am not a Hillary voter, and promise that if I move I will be careful not to subconsciously import any California nonsense.

Assuming I find suitable employment or a business opportunity in the Tacoma area, what is the regional range situation? Are there many ranges with targets exceeding 500 yards? I will probably sell some guns here prior to the move and want to focus on offloading guns like my long range 300 Win Mag if there won't be a realistic opportunity to use it.

Thanks in advance.

Last Edited:
Welcome to NWFA. I cannot help you with the questions related to the Tacoma area, but I am sure one of the friends here can. Best of wishes on your move and resettling. :)

Welcome to NWFA and it sounds like you will be a great addition to NWFA and in Washington as well. I'm sure someone will chip in about ranges. While you have escaped California, California is unfortunately on its way to Washington. Consider joining the Second Amendment Foundation (Second Amendment Foundation), Washington State's front against gun control.

Moving from California to Western Washington...why? Washington is politically so close behind California that you may very well find yourself in a similar situation as California and very quickly. If you are going to the work and expense of moving, I suggest skipping Washington for a more free state unless you have some overwhelming reason for needing to be in Washington.

I just returned to Oregon from a ten year stint in Washington, the political insanity in Washington is stifling, and just gets worse by the day.

In my opinion Western Washington has all the disadvantages of California with few if any of the advantages, except for salmon fishing, but that is getting harder each year.

Hello everyone,

To prevent the (understandable) tar and featuring, I will first say that I was born and raised in the Midwest and am a military retiree.

I am assembling the various pieces of a move from California to Washington. I am not a Hillary voter, and promise that if I move I will be careful not to subconsciously import any California nonsense.

Assuming I find suitable employment or a business opportunity in the Tacoma area, what is the regional range situation? Are there many ranges with targets exceeding 500 yards? I will probably sell some guns here prior to the move and want to focus on offloading guns like my long range 300 Win Mag if there won't be a realistic opportunity to use it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome

There are many ranges around tacoma , Fair warning king county is California wannabe and working hard to ruin their own great state

Washington would not be my first choice politically, but my wife has a great opportunity there. The move would also save us from California's hideous tax burden and housing would be much cheaper. Is there much target shooting available on public land? Down here much of it is closed to shooting due to the fire risk or nearby cities.

Welcome aboard...

In regards to moving here, in all honesty it's going to be no different than any other state with the current issue concerning firearms...

Granted things are a tad harsher, but let's see what the people decide in the long run...

Just my opinion, I'm also a retired service member residing in Washington state...

Welcome to WA! Thank you for your service. Look up Range 15 Ft. Lewis. I believe they have 300 yard rifle range.
NW Adventures - Rifle & Pistol, Trap & Skeet Ranges

Yes, Range 15 goes out to 300 yards and is open Fri-Sun, 1000-1600. $10 for military and $15 for civilians.

Don't forget that if you intend to cut thru post, all of your weapons must be registered on post, unloaded, and cased. If you come in from Hwy 507, you won't go thru any gates.

The range is run by a couple decent guys (retirees). Magnum rifles not allowed. Rapid fire not allowed. They have metal gongs at 300 yards and ask that you don't use AP or M855 on them. They get tore up pretty quick.

Tacoma Rifle & Revolver is not too far away from Steilacoom. Decent range but when they eliminated allowing a guest, I dropped out. If I wanted to bring the wife to shoot, she had to be a member. Too expensive.

Being you are from CA, I would say the first thing I would do us apply for your conceal carry.
Having not had one I am guessing it will really help your ease of moving your firearms around in the state.
Welcome, and thank you for your service.

PS, I know there is a indoor range in Tacoma a family member who lives up there goes to.

Paul bunyan range in Puyallup is one of the nicest ranges in the area. It has every thing you could want. Couple times a month they close the range for 700+ yard shoots. And very reasonable yearly membership. Enumclaw has 1000 yard range but it is a bit of a drive. It is also more expensive

The Sportsmans range at JBLM is a decent range. Good people run it. Pistol and Rifle (NO MAGNUMS) Last time I was there, $10 Range fee. I believe the Rifle Range is out to 300 yards. There are Shooting benches on each Lane. not to far from Tacoma. Being retired Military can register your guns on base with the Provost Marshall, you are required to declare that your guns are in you vehicle when you arrive at the gate. CPL's are no help as concealed carry on base is not allowed.

Welcome from Oregon.
If you are from CA, promising to leave CA nonsense behind, and asking about ranges, I figure you belong in the NW, and were just trmporarily exiled.

Welcome! Thank you for your service to this great country. :)

Glad your getting out of California but make sure you keep your head on a swivel in Tacoma. There are some nice area's but its like Seattle and getting worse. :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top