JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Beautiful rifle indeed. Question: is the inlay in the second picture a pineapple or supposed to be another object? Just curious.
That is a patchbox or capbox...its inlayed in the stock and used to store shooting patches or caps....
if you look close you can see the outlines of the lid.
Oddly enough that style was called a "Pineapple capbox" in period catalogs...:D
Andy

It's kind of a cool thought, our respective interests in arms overlap era's and the transition between true muzzle loaders, to percussion fired "cartridges" to self contained cased cartridges,
Yep - mine as well ! And I was out making some 'smoke' myself last weekend!

While not an 'original' this is the .54 T/C 'Renegade' I was given and restored a couple years ago from having not been cleaned for about 20 years... Fortunately I was able to save most of the bluing and only minor pitting in the barrel which I lapped out.

I am 'waffling' on refinishing the stock as it has some moderately deep dents and scratches on the left side of the buttstock (heck, the right side looks nearly new!) Not a big deal but maybe I'll get to it this winter.

IMG_1874.JPG

Last Edited:
That is a patchbox or capbox...its inlayed in the stock and used to store shooting patches or caps....
if you look close you can see the outlines of the lid.
Oddly enough that style was called a "Pineapple capbox" in period catalogs...:D
Andy

Very interesting. Did the pineapple have any cultural significance or was it "just 'cuz"? Thanks. :)

Masons have a long history in the US....at times you will see rifles with Masonic signs and symbols as inlays.
Not being a Mason I can say for sure just why they are on some rifles other than to give a message to another Mason...? Just a guess here.
Andy

Masonic markings and accouterments were done on the rifles ether as a gift between "Brothers" or to reward a persons status or advancement through the lodge. Often they were done to mark ones rifle as a means to show membership to a lodge, sort of how they do it with the rings and such now days!

Here I am referring to original plains rifles...not the currently made Lyman Plains Rifle.
Which is a fine rifle...just not the one I am taking about in this post.

A plains rifle is a modern generic term for a rifle that was made to used on the America Great Plains for big game.
The period correct terms are Trade Rifle or Sporting Rifle.
Calibers generally range from .45 - .60 . ( Two of the more common calibers are .47 and .52 )
Do not use the caliber alone as guide to how old the rifle is....as these calibers are seen through out this type of rifle's time periods of use.
Caliber by the way...is a more modern term...the 18th and 19th century term was balls to the pound or gauge....

Stocks are usually either maple or walnut , full or half-stocked...the maple is usually plain..but not always....
Many Leman Plains rifles with maple stocks have been artificially striped...So much like today , a rifle with a pretty wood stock may have been a selling point.
Ignition may be flint or percussion.

Patch boxes and or cap boxes are seen from time to time...if engraved , the engraving is sparse ( usually ) .
Furniture will be brass or iron..at times it can be mixed...
But if this was done on purpose or if it was a period repair , may be tough to tell.

Many rifles of this type were used in the Fur Trade and are called "Trade Rifles"...as in rifles for use in the fur trade or gun trade.
These rifles were meant to be used both by trappers and for trading to the tribes for pelts , hides , horses , etc...
Trade rifles were "mass produced" on a basic pattern , many folks working together to make one rifle...on a assembly line in a factory.
Rifles of this type are fine , sturdy rifles , made to work ...but as a rule not as finely finished as a "sporting rifle" of the time period.
An exception to this , is the trade rifle , known as Chief's grade guns / Rifles...these are more finely finished and often have silver inlays , carving and engraving.

Some rifles of this type , are US marked...and were used as gifts for various tribes....these rifles so marked are referred to as Treaty Rifles
Treaty rifles at times came in smaller caliber such as .38 and .44 caliber.
A popular theory for this is that these calibers are better suited for hunting smaller game , like deer and such and not as good for warfare.
I have not seen a 19th century period reason for the rifles with the smaller calibers ...so take the above popular theory with a grain of salt.

Sporting Rifles...
Sporting Rifles are much like Trade Rifles but , more finely finished and not as uniform in regards to a pattern.
Calibers range from .31 - .60
Favorites being .31 , .38 , .47 and .53
Ignition may be either flint or percussion...and the stocks are again seen in maple or walnut , full or half stock.

View attachment 660956
J. Henry Trade Rifle...Maple Stock , flintlock , smoothbore .58 caliber circa 1800-1820

View attachment 660957
Leman Trade Rifle...Maple stock , artificially striped , percussion lock .50 caliber rifled...circa late 1830's - 1840's

View attachment 660958
Sporting Rifle made by F.E. Seiferth in St. Louis...Walnut stock , percussion lock .50 caliber rifled...circa 1840's -1850's

All three of the above rifles are still in use...both as shooting / hunting rifles or in my displays.
Andy
So those look great , do you know much about small caliber squirrel rifles ? I like on a farm where I shoot them ,trap them in trees ,live trap them , as I grow Gilbert's, aka hazelnuts.

Not so much as most folks are into .45 and up calibers....
That said...I have used my .54 Hawken on small game...just restrict myself to head shots.

Most "squirrel rifles " are in the .32 to .40 caliber range.
A good load to start with would be about 10 grains higher that caliber ...and as I do with my Hawken...use head shots.
Round ball is a good killer for sure.
Andy

Thanks , I have taken two deer with my 54 traditional style as in oregon it's the rule , just wondering about small bore hunting , . Reading on this sight gets me thinking and dreaming

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top