JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Casting does NOT emit lead fumes (I can't even find the numbers currently since all that comes up is scare mongering without number for partial pressure of lead in the air and various temperatures, but I seem to remember that it is well under 10^-7 whatever units). Getting lead oxide on your hands and eating, drinking, or smoking will get lead in your system. Rubbing your eyes and picking your nose will get lead in your system. Casting, per se, will NOT get lead in your system.
You'd be better off wearing a face shield than a face mask.
After I started casting in 1973, I had my lead level tested and it was 6. Now, as an old man, my lead level last time I checked was 10. Currently, my doctor says I am too old to even be concerned about lead as I will be dead long before any problems could arise--and he seriously doubts it has changed any.
Lead, overall, is pretty tame--except for high levels and YOUNG children. This is not to say that one won't experience bad things with high levels, but the levels that concern doctors are well above what casters and shooters, using simply precautions, will ever see.

DSC00615.JPG

Legend/word has it that a bottom pour makes life/casting easier/faster. I've only ever used a Lyman ladle and don't do big gang molds..

719045160_o.jpg

I've heard that the Lee's (bottom pour furnaces.. not their "spoon") work but might drip occasionally but no big whoop all told.

This will be a sacrilege for the long time cast bullet fans, but I recently sold all my casting gear, most of it from the 80's.

Why? I found that - for my shooting situation- it made more sense to buy copper plated bullets ( X-treme, Berry's, etc) to use where I was formerly shooting my cast ones. They work well, pricing is pretty good in bulk and I can use them at indoor ranges that ban lead bullets. I do miss the satisfaction of making my own but not the stink ( toxic or not) and the time it took to do, say a thousand bullets.

Just one guys thoughts...

OK
Lead bullets from mastercastbullets.com (I have found these to be outstanding bullets):
9mm 125gn TCN--$53/1000
9mm 147gn TCFP--$62.37/1000
.45 230gn RN--$90/1000

Plated bullets from Xtreme:
9mm 124gn FP--$36.27/500 or $72.54/1000
9mm 147gn RN--$39.77/500 or $79.54/1000
.45 230gn RN--$54.12/500 or $108.24

Jacketed from Montana Gold
9mm 124gn CMJ--$370/3750 or $98.67/1000
9mm 145gn CMJ--$360/3000 or $120/1000
.45 230gn FMJ--$375/2000 or $187.50/1000

Xtreme seem to be the best priced plated bullets, but lead still has an edge on price. I believe these prices include shipping, but I could be wrong. Montana Gold has had "severe" price increases since the shortage started. I stocked up back when the 9mm bullets were about 7 cents each.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top