Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Plain 1100?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, Dec 23, 2014.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I've been looking, and haven't found one...but still wondering, did Remingtin make an 1100, 12ga, without the engraving?

I want to build a "combat" type 1100, but don't want that engraving.

I know I could do an 11-87, but I want something older.

2. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

The only Remington 1100 ( other than their own tactical 12 gauge model ) that I have ever heard of having zero engraving is the LT20 20 gauge model. Apparently there are some years when it was made without any engraving:

muskie_2010_2812257.jpg

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I have a model 11 or 48 (I think - it was my grandfathers). That is plain Jane.

Not a big fan of the whole barrel moving nor am I much of a simi-auto guy.

4. RedneckRampage

Well that's too bad...I may have to rethink my plan then.

5. Gun Mechanic

Gun Mechanic Portland Active Member

why not use an 11-87? The sportsman doesn't have any engraving.

6. Gun Mechanic

7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Subscribed!!! My next project is also a HD 20 gauge scatter gun...

8. Lance Jacobs

Well, that is a real old ad. That particular gun is no longer available for sale. But it does show that there were some of these made.

I don't believe that these plain Jane 1100's were that common. This is the first plain 12 gauge that I have ever seen. You might thus have a hard time finding one of these.

It looks like Remington made some Slug Gun models of the 1100 that had plain receivers too. Here is one that is available for $450:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=458964405

Put a new barrel in it and a mag extension and you would be all set.

There are also quite a few Tactical 1100's listed on gunbroker.com for around $700, which would need no modifications done to them at all.

9. RedneckRampage

I'm going for "older", so I'd rather have the older 1100 than an 11-87. I guess Ill have to start watching the gun shows.

My plan is, plain walnut stock and forend, cerakote gray or parkerized, 20" non rib barrel with rifle sights, and +3 factory extension.

Kinda like this -
    image.jpg

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  10. sealine

sealine Oregon Well-Known Member

Redneck - Remington has made a few 1100's with the slick receivers that you're looking for. The one I have the most experience with is the 1100 Special Field. They came from the factory with a 21" ribbed barrel and a straight "English-style" stock. I'll post some pictures of mine when I get a chance. The straight stock on it makes it look a little different and it definitely has a unique feel when pointing it, compared to other 1100's.

The other one that I know of with the slick receiver was the 1100 SP, or Special Purpose Magnum. This one has the traditional stock and like the name states, it can take 3" magnum shells where as the 1100 Special Field is 2-3/4in. only. Hopefully this will give you a good start on your search.

11. sealine

sealine Oregon Well-Known Member

image.jpg 1100 Special Field, 12ga.

12. Lance Jacobs

I don't know that I agree with putting rifle sights on a self-defense shotgun. Shotguns are close range weapons, and the ability to get on target fast is important at close range. And if you are looking to extend your range with slugs, if you sight in for long range slug shots, your sights will be off for shots with buckshot.

A parallax free red dot sight makes good sense on a combat shotgun, though, in my opinion.

But really, if you want a fighting gun that is effective past 60 yards, you may want to consider an AR-15 carbine instead.

13. Gun Mechanic

I love this shotgun! Looking forward to seeing your build!

14. RedneckRampage

Lance - My main defense shotgun is a plain old 870 Police w/18" barrel, bead sight, +2 extension, and walnut stocks.

This is more for a fun gun. I won't use a semi-auto for HD use. I love the look of the rifle sights. Also, in past experiences, you can have rifle sights for longer slug shots, and just use the front sight, like a bead, for close, buckshot shots. I've practiced lots of rounds this way, when I had rifle sights on a 20" barreled 870P.