JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everybody,
I enjoy shooting but I haven't had a chance to get out to the range. After watching a few YouTube videos and doing a little research I have come to a conclusion that shooting steel targets might be a little more cost efficient . I may be completely wrong anyhow I've been wanted to do some speed drills in teams of 2. One person at a time and combine times at the end to see who is faster. I've looking at ordering a target stand with resetting targets for the .22 LR and I also wanted a torso hostage target for my 9mill handguns.
I have mainly gone to outdoor ranges/indoor. Does anybody know of any places in Oregon that I could set something like that up rifle at 50 yards then run up and pistol at 10-15 yards? I'm aware that safety is even more important when shooting steel using the correct distance to avoid ricochet. What are your personal experiences with steel targets do you like them? Are setups easy to install/disassembled and lastly is it more cost efficient then buying paper targets all the time? Thanks everybody Happy New Year!

We have a bunch of steel targets & enjoy shooting steel.

It's no big deal setting them up, depending of course on what you get.

Easiest we have to setup are torso type. Just the base, a 2x4 section, the torso hanger & the torso. I think ours are 3/4 sized, as opposed to full paper pistol torso. Weight depends upon the width of steel used. Easy for each of us to take a single full target setup downrange in one trip. Depends of course on your fitness.

Thor brand torso setup. These here:

Have recently started using thicker AR500 steel torso from "make it ring targets" as they had a pretty good sale a while back.

Next time consuming to setup is a horizontal pistol flipper. This guy here:

However not a big deal, just longer to setup/takedown as in a minute or so. Use the cheesy plastic rifle case it came in, plus a .30 ammo can to store & haul it.

The most time consuming setups are are ones using legs & a crossbar. Either all rebar, combo rebar & 2x4 etc. So much so we've dropped using them the passed several years.

Any gong sizes we want to use, we just setup on the Thor (& that type) bases & hangers I linked to above.

All that written, don't give up your paper. We use it quite a bit.

Steel & paper also together for transition drills. Handgun on steel, long guns on paper. Sometimes for times, sometimes simply for fun.

Safety. We never shoot longguns at steel under 50 yards. And when we shoot steel at 50 yards the steel is setup at an slight angle so all fragments deflect towards a safe area. In our case burms & areas completely devoid of vegetation (plain dirt). Have yet to have splash back/frag doing such, at that distance.

Handgun, however is a different story. Have had multiple hand cuts, until I figured a way to setup safely - similar to long gun setup noted above.

We always wear eye pro regardless of what we are shooting, or using as targets. Don't ever be lax about such.

As towards where to shoot such & whatnot? Safest & most responsible is at a club or range (or private property). IMHO.

We used to be members at ARPC in Shedd when we lived up that ways. Tricounty & Douglas Ridge are likely other options. Dunno, never been.

Down Southern Oregon we've joined Ashland Gun Club. Member setup steel is fine, if setup & used safely.

The primary reason I mention a club, is simply safety these days. If your shooting steel you've setup, you'll likely be a while. As opposed to just a quickie 15 minute session. The more time, the more opportunity for some dirtbag(s) to come by...

Just given the price of ammunition, and then ad on whatever firearms you may have on hand...

YMMV.

Last Edited:
I have been using these guys for all my steel and accessories for years. They have a large array of products, are very competitively priced, ship fast and have never let me down:

As far as where to go, any of the outdoor shooting areas are good for steel. You just need to be careful during the summer months.

Been shooting steel for almost a decade. Two of my targets, 1/2" AR500 are about that age too. The amount of rounds they have seen is unknown, but if I had to guess, in the 100s of thousands. They have been used at many Trash No Land clean ups and the after parties that ensue, as well as my personal use over the years. Great investments!

Fast moving 223/556 tends to hurt steel at close range, even more so if using steel core or longer barrels. Get over 3000fps even the thickest hardest steels will pit at close range. This is the main safety problem, as pitting creates unknown spalling patterns, which means stuff can come back at you. That can usually be prevented by placing the target at an angle or allowing the target to freely pivot by being hung on a chain or such.

I more recently gave up on chain and switched everything to 2x4 holders. That way you have to blow a ton of ammo on the 2x4 before it fails. One hit to a chain and your target needs a new chain. 2x4s are cheap.

My favorite target stands are these. They collapse and are nice and wide when in use. They also have a cut for a stake.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any information is helpful and appreciated! Does anybody know a public place to setup steel targets? I found these places on Oregon.Gov website. I have personally never been to either place but from what I've seen I don't think I would be able to do what I'm looking to do. I could be wrong but I have not had much experience with recreational public shoot areas within the woods I'm a simple city slicker 9DB2388C-C23A-448D-B47D-6471B8C7B28E.jpeg

I do most of my steel shooting at ARPC in Shedd, OR. I can't really speak to the rifle portion, but for handguns, it's fine to move and shoot, including advancing into the bay, as long as you keep 12 yards between you and the targets, per range rules. I love shooting steel, but also mix it with paper depending what skills I'm working on; paper is better for working on accuracy, steel is best for speed/combat accuracy. I have a set of 5 plates and squares in the Steel Challenge style, from Thor Targets that are holding up very well, after a couple of years' hard use.

Here's a good article to help understand setting up angles, and how to avoid ricochets:

I do most of my steel shooting at ARPC in Shedd, OR. I can't really speak to the rifle portion, but for handguns, it's fine to move and shoot, including advancing into the bay, as long as you keep 12 yards between you and the targets, per range rules. I love shooting steel, but also mix it with paper depending what skills I'm working on; paper is better for working on accuracy, steel is best for speed/combat accuracy. I have a set of 5 plates and squares in the Steel Challenge style, from Thor Targets that are holding up very well, after a couple of years' hard use.

Here's a good article to help understand setting up angles, and how to avoid ricochets:

The last bay used to be fine for action/motion with a long gun.

??bay 12?? The longest distance of the individual bays, 50yards IIRC. Whichever one LE would use for there more tactical training in.

The other bays were too short/narrow for much useful skill training, pretty much stationary transition to sidearm. Except the really wide one, ??6??.

Adding, handgun calibers only in most with club steel setups as marked/signed/in rules. Idiot bad actors would intentionally destroy club property using penetrators & such!

Seems to me like most of the bays at ARPC are wide enough for decent transitions, but they are almost all only 25 yards deep, or less in some cases. Bay 12 goes out to maybe 50 yards, and is huge. The main range has a couple of gongs way out there, but since it is shared with others, you can't advance into the bay during live fire.
Nevertheless, we manage to have USPSA and Speed Steel competitions there, with fairly challenging courses of fire. Izaak Walton, down in Eugene, has some nice bays for steel, as well. Not sure what's up around Portland for that, other than Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, which might be an option for longer distances; I know the rimfire challenge matches there have 4 nice rifle stages on steel.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any information is helpful and appreciated! Does anybody know a public place to setup steel targets? I found these places on Oregon.Gov website. I have personally never been to either place but from what I've seen I don't think I would be able to do what I'm looking to do. I could be wrong but I have not had much experience with recreational public shoot areas within the woods I'm a simple city slicker View attachment 800520
The lanes up at North Fork Wolf Creek would be a great choice. Head over to the outdoor shooting section here, there is a whole thread dedicated to them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top