JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You will have to check with your state and local laws. A lot will depend on who owns the property. If it is State ground you will need to check with ODF probably. If Federal you will need to check with the Forest Service. In our area there is lots of private ground owned by timber companies, but a lot of it is accessible in the same manner as state land.

Most have some kind of rules about staying on roads or approved trails. On some ground you need to have tabs (pay the state) on your ATV. On some you have to have a DL, be over 16 and wear helmets. It is so varied by area you really need to check locally. The best way is to check with the local bike shops or search the internet for a local ATV club, they could get you started.

Also location my vary too. Where I am it is pretty free to ride and even if you are not in full compliance (I don't wear a helmet on 4x4 style ATV's) the odds of getting caught, then in trouble are slim to none. Been riding here for well over 10 years and never ran into anyone with enforcement powers. There is another area I would really like to ride where I work. There are tons of rules and odds of running into an enforcement person are high.

Snowmobile trails above Detroit, Snow peak, around and above Green Peter the list goes on. Two things that need to be done is check fire danger in area as well as having a ORV sticker (for Gov. land) besides the obvious spark arestor.

Standard rule (and this comes from the guide 'card' from Oregon and you need to carry) Vertically marked numbered FS roads OK, Horizontally marked roads no. Unmarked roads, IE wider than average 'trails' that look like they have been driven on for a while - take your chances as enforcement in this arena does not seem to follow any standards and can vary from what one FS LEO to another. Where I ride the only problem I have ever run into was getting a ticket for not having my ORV sticker - and I was on a horizontally marked road. Truth is I was relatively new to quad riding and I thought you only needed the ORV sticker if in the approved OHV trail areas but quads need one anytime off private property. Answer to all these problems? - lets all get together and petition the State to give us class 3, licensed status - just like motorcycles.

My son and I used to spend many weekends on dirt bikes in the Tillamook forest. Known as 'Brown's Camp' which is only one of many staging areas. Thousands of miles of trails. The lush green coast range is truly heaven on earth. You will need ORV tag and USFS approved spark arrestor.

Most BLM lands. (Bureau of Land Management) This is Federal land (not Federal forest Service land)
An awersome example of such is the Alvord Dry Lake bed in eastern Oregon and some of the surrounding lands like right above the lake bed in the Steen Mountains.

I really like these areas. Even if you aren't riding quads, it's an awesome area to go to.

Spend the 15 bucks or so and get the ORV permit. Believe it or not, they do drive around and check and you will get a ticket if you don't have the permit.

Just found out yesterday that a friend of mine got a job working for the Forest Service on the "ATV trail" crew in the Bend area. Not exactly sure what area she is working int. Sound like I might be trying to take a trip down there sometime this year.

The ORV is a sticker or tag that you physically stick on your ATV someplace like on rear fender or such. I got mine from Power Yamaha, so any bike store around you in town should have one. I think it cost $5 or so, it has been a few years back that I last got mine, and haven't been riding lately, so no need to renew it.

RideATVoregon is the online site to take your test for your ATV license. You can challenge it, and skip all the reading and just take the test if you feel comfortable enough.

Good luck.

Stay Safe.

We ride all over on gravel roads around Cottage Grove and have for years. Never had a problem and we have run into forest service and county sheriffs a few times. Just avoid the temptation to go around/under locked gates and don't be a moron(tearing stuff up/trespassing/fireseason) and you should be fine.

We ended up going up to shotgun creek.. it was really fun.. except my bike isnt exactally built for those kinda trails... but it was still fun... my buddies CAN AM 800R tore it up tho... its a beast

1133789296_photobucket_71057_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top