JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After looking over the various sections in the forums, I thought this was the best place to ask.. (if not please move)

It's time for me to get a new prescription for glasses. As money is tight, I want one pair of all around glasses - good for everyday life. This means driving, walking, working, kicking back playing with the kids and shooting.

Has anyone bought Rx shooting glasses?
Were they good and worth recommending or avoiding?
Where is a good place to buy them locally?

I found several online but without trying them on my head I can't say they will fit and be comfortable or even if they have a quality build.

I would think than any eye doctor or eyeglass store would have, or could easily get you, prescription safety glasses. I would not ask for "shooting glasses" as you'll probably get a blank stare nobody will know what those are. All shooting glasses are are safety glasses that meet ANSI Z87.1-2010 specifications.

I would think than any eye doctor or eyeglass store would have, or could easily get you, prescription safety glasses. I would not ask for "shooting glasses" as you'll probably get a blank stare nobody will know what those are. All shooting glasses are are safety glasses that meet ANSI Z87.1-2010 specifications.

Are you also talking lens color, like amber?

Are you also talking lens color, like amber?
I dont know about amber prescription lenses, but there are many tinted ANSI safety glasses available at most hardware stores. I imagine colors might be more limited in prescription glasses, thats a question for the eye doctor.

I have bought many safety glasses throughout the years. Any tint, any coating, any material, any rating, it's all available from any optometrist or eye doctor, for a price. Or you can pay less than half, and get exactly the same products thru Costco or even WalMart. My last two pair of safety glasses were purchased from WalMart, and paying out of my pocket was cheaper than just the co-pay at my eye doctor.

Okley and Wiley X make prescription safety glasses of course the okley are exspesive but the Wiley X are responsible Walmart has Wiley X

I asked around a handful of eye glass shops and was shown the same four or five safety glasses. The trouble is that they look like safety glasses. That's great if you are wearing them on the job site or such but not really when wearing them for everyday use. I could start a new trend of wearing safety glasses everywhere but I think I'll pass on that.

Out at Cabelas (went there because I remembered they sold sunglasses too) and learned that Oakley has a discount program for active duty and veterans - as well as first responders.

I like the glasses they used in Mr & Mrs Smith.. turns out the were custom sunglasses - the base for them has been discontinued.
glasses.jpg

I'd prefer they look as everyday as possible (no yellow) just like if I were to go out and get a CCW license I would want it to be as concealed as possible.

Thanks for the heads up, I will head over to Sight for Sore Eyes in LO as soon as I am able to get over that way.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top