Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Pitting under my A2 normal?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by diddlydoo, Feb 25, 2014.

1. diddlydoo

diddlydoo United States New Member

I took the A2 off of my upper and noticed that the muzzle had a good amount of carbon build up. I cleaned it up with some clp using wood and plastic toothpicks to scrape away the carbon. Once I got it all cleaned up I noticed what looked like a scratch or pit not far from the crown. I was worried that it might be touching the crown but my eyes weren't good enough to tell so I busted out a macro lens and took some pictures.

The pictures show things pretty clearly. I was happy to find that the crown looks really clean and that pitting was distinctly separate from the crown. It looks to me like perhaps this is just what happens as part of the hard chrome process?

Here are some pictures:
    IMG_2700_zps2eb3a733.jpg

IMG_2699_zps9bd550c6.jpg

I am thinking that everything is probably just fine? Accuracy has been acceptable so far, maybe even really good. I have been blasting steel plates out to 200 yards and having a lot of fun, no precision shooting yet.

[span style='font-weight: bold;']So is this anything I should be concerned about?[/span]

Here it is with the new flash hider on.
    IMG_2707_zps581ae02a.jpg

2. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

3. diddlydoo

diddlydoo United States New Member

Thank you but I don't believe this is a result of the flash hider interface. It is a month old upper and the A2 flash hider came installed. With this setup nothing is touching the muzzle in the area I am asking about. The crush washer interfaces with the shoulder of the barrel.

The new AAC flash hider just touches the muzzle when screwed all the way down. But it was not put on until after I took the photos, and then very carefully so. My final install was done using AAC shims that brought the flash hider out far enough that all of the interface is happening on the shoulder, just like the A2.