JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i walk 2 powerful dogs all the time and they are always on leash under my control and these aholes are all over the place that let their dogs offleash on the beach and they always say mines friendly well my female isnt i tell them and they shrug all the time and continue. if in fact a fight breaks out remove the dogs back legs out of the fight it reduces the damage to the other dog. but yes i would shoot a dog if in fact it turned ugly mine if it got off the leash or theirs.

There was very little time to think about it at all. Everyone else was just standing there so I had little choice. I knew he was going to start thrashing at any moment. Luckily the dog only weighed around 125-140lbs. I had him outweighed by a large amount. Still, I was surprised at how strong he was and how hard it was to choke him.

Yeah they are all neck and shoulders.And P4P they are about 3X stronger than us.

One of the last times I was at the Lakewood park a little poodle was running like mad.Ran between a guys feet.With a boxer hot on it's tail,ready to shake the heck out of the little guy.
The guy just stood there,doing nothing.Didn't kick at the boxer,pick up the poodle,nothing.The poodle's owner wasn't doing anything either.
I just ran over picked up the boxer and dropped him about 4 feet.Then sat on him,holding his head down.
His owner came over to retrieve him and I picked him up by the collar and told her to GTFO with him.
She said nothing to anybody.

Then my buddy had to tell me someone else had something to say to me.Well he had been run out of there by an off duty cop that had arrested him for other things,so he was easy to shut up.

Heck we had a Fed LEO out there with 2 german shepherds that were guard dogs....and his baby on his chest!
How do you control your dogs with your baby in the way?
They tore a guy up and he just walked away afterwards. No charges filed.

I think you did damn good Playboy Penguin, I'd have a hard time standing watching an attack like that myself w/o jumping in.
Since my dog was attacked I've been carrying pepper spray, along with my usual gun and knife. I've heard good and bad on how effective the spray is on dogs, has anyone seen it used on a mad dog?
The owner of the two who got my dog was a complete jerk, tried to leave, I was on the phone to 911 and they told me to get his license # so I followed him to his vehicle.
As he tried to leave the park two sqad cars blocked him from leaving.
My dog is 45 lbs. and 12 years old, the two shepherds that got her were 110 and 120lbs. and 5 years old. They just charged her and took her down, no provocation on my dogs part.
scaled.php?server=822&filename=img03051.jpg
scaled.php?server=809&filename=img03211.jpg

had a pitbull attack my golden retriever last year just ran and latched on to his neck and wouldnt let go my golden is just sitting there like what is going on man hes a mellow dog not a mean bone in his bodyf i jumped on the pit and punched and kicked and tried to pry his mouth open he just wouldnt give 60 seconds goes by of me punching this dog harder than ive ever punched before and he finally lets loose my golden ran to the corner of the dog park and sat there scared as i held onto the pit making sure he couldnt do anymore damage owner was a 90lb female there with her 7 year old daughter i sure layed into her what if that dog wanted a hot dog your kids eating hes gonna kill her, before that day i was definatley not anti pitbul but that changed instantly i do not and will not ever trust one again and i wouldnt hesitate to dispatch one if it ever went down like that again

My hat is off to you Playboypenguin for what you did. That said, I would not have done what you did nor would I have contemplated shooting the dog for having been aggressive with another persons dog. For me, the aggressive dog would have had to attack my dog and had it in a death grip or been attacking another human before I would contemplated shooting it. Not saying you are wrong ... you were there but based on what you described that is how I think I might have reacted. Of course I am Monday morning quarterbacking this situation.

Funny thing about dogs is that just when you think you know them they become animals and surprise you. I walked into a dry cleaners today and Foxy the pit bull slowly came over, tail slowly wagging, and had the body attitude/behavior of a dog completely comfortable with anything and anybody. Usually, pits make me nervous. From the very moment the dog and I saw each other she was at ease with me and I with her. I even got down on the floor with this pit and loved her up and she loved it. When I left she greeted the next costumer walking in the door like she did with me. I have a black lab. The stereotype is nice, loyal, easy going pooches. My black lab loves me and my wife. She hates everyone else. She growls, barks, and can be aggressive to everyone else including my daughter and her husband. Obviously, when out and about we keep her leashed and away from the 18 month old grand-daughter.

I sure hope your friend there is doing well. All 3 of my dogs have had "clear cuts" on them but never because of dog fight wounds. I think I can understand how protective and pissed a dog owner could get when it's their dog being taken. I just haven't had that happen with mine yet. I have been lucky in that once the dog to dog butt sniffing contest comes to an an end mine 3 are happy to just be dogs.

There was very little time to think about it at all. Everyone else was just standing there so I had little choice. I knew he was going to start thrashing at any moment. Luckily the dog only weighed around 125-140lbs. I had him outweighed by a large amount. Still, I was surprised at how strong he was and how hard it was to choke him.

Only 125-140lbs! This is my dog at 100lbs.

Doggie.jpg

would you have shot the pitbull if it had not released? I know I should not have told his owner I would have done it, but I sure would have. Was I out of line getting involved?

Totally appropriate to get involved. Sounds like pitbull owner was being an irresponsable jerk, especially when you warned him.

I would not have shot the pitbull, even if it was in the process of thrashing the collie. I would have shot the pitbull if it was attacking my child. Bottom line is, you would have been in much more trouble for discharging a firearm in city limits, in a city park. The guy with the pitbull walks, and you get arrested, and get your gun taken away.

I take mine to the off leash park up by Bonneville Power plant. I always carry a pistol anyway. Imagine how much trouble you get in for discharging a gun on federal property.

To tie into this thread, something I was thinking about earlier today when I brought my dog to the park:

Let's say it was your dog that goes mad and latches onto another dog. Could you bring yourself to shoot your own dog if it wouldn't let go?

Now I know since we're on the internet, everyone's answer will be something to the effect of "My dog is too well trained to do that" or "Only an irresponsible dog owner could not control his/her dog" or "I'm too awesome to own a dog that's not perfectly trained. Due to his SA and OODA loop, my dog would never enter a situation that he would have to latch on to another dog," but jump into the real world for a bit. Humor me...

I F If you have trained,socialized and CONTROLLED YOUR DOG,this is not an issue.

Rottweiler mixes are more likely to attack humans than pit are.They are suspect of everything,not just humans or small animals.

That said if you SOCIALIZE them with other dogs and humans....and other small animals.... they will not ever attack them.
My Rot mix has a thing for small furry creatures that aren't dogs. I let her catch and eat rabbits at the park.She was never around enough cats to know to leave them alone.If they come for her ,her temper kicks in and she would attack.
She lives for the attention of people and would never hurt anyone.Toddlers have tested this.

So the point is if you truly socialize your dog and DOMINATE IT it will always do as it was trained. I slack on some things,so do the dogs.

Any breed can be taught correct manners by someone who knows how to truly train all dogs.
Problem is,most don't have a clue and want the dog they want.

My dog would be shot in a NY second if she latched on to another dog to kill it,IF it was not provoked .Or anyone under 12 (over that they probably had it coming)
She would never do that though.She's had plenty of opportunities also

[/I let her catch and eat rabbits at the parkQUOTE]

If you let her do that she WILL KILL A SMALL DOG........

Not at all.She has had many opportunities and all she has done is step on them.
Heck when she was 2 yo,if the dog wasn't over 85 # like her she wouldn't take it seriously if it wanted to fight.
She would walk away or lay down in front of it as to say 'whatever'
Trust me she has been tested in the 8 years we did go to dog parks

only white trash and people who cant own a firearm due to their felonies and domestic violence would ever own a pitbull.
what good is the ugly snorting p.o.s of a dog anyhow?
people who love to argue about everything own pitbulls because they love the drama of owning one.
time for the pitbull to go the way of the buffalo!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top