JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... It's better to be safe than sorry and everything I can bring to bear in a bad situation helps me just that much more

Absolutely what works for you/others! Gear critique can be harsh, & I absolutely don't intend it be, nor do I intend the critique at any particular individual.

I'm just thinking on what might work for me. If it also might help other folks, great!

I have a whole bunch of hiking & backpacking experience, including 2 month long treks. I also have a whole bunch more pedal cycle touring experience - more on the lines of what kids today might term "bike camping" almost "bike packing" (including a year long solo self supported trip from Paris to Vietnam). I'm just spouting off on what has worked well for me.

The more weight I carry on foot, the less distance I can go. After a week carrying a heavy load, I used to be able to hit 15-20 miles in a day. The first few days are 5-7miles, the next few are 7-12.

If I'm carrying 15lbs, I can likely do 20 miles--even givin my pisspoor shape I'm in today (if I've got good shoes). 40lbs+ I'll need a cart until I get back in shape...

Similar thought process goes for the bike, smaller distances/heavy load untill your body is used to it. Lighter load - higher distances.

...on that note, it might be a good idea to include a bike as a possible BOV/GHV. The situation / circumstances would obviously depend! For folks thinking that way, "rough up" your bike. Make it look like your standard piece of crud bike-not some umpteen thousand dollar rig.

-I did just that to my custom Waterford tourer. I just put black fabric tubes over all the "Waterford" placards - bike looked like crap from a few yards..the folks at a guest house I stayed it in Laos left that bike unlocked on the sidewalk all day once, and it didn't disappear...I do consider my self watched over on that one...

Last Edited:
-Thinking on carts just now...

For folks who don't have a bag set up, maybe give a look at "Eagle Creek" stuff. I seem to recall they just released a wheeled carry on bag that looked ingenious.

Converts to a backpack, seems lighter weight than others I've seen in the past. Due to the way they have the wheeled / skeleton set up.

I've used they're pack-it stuff for a long while. I personally likely won't buy the wheeled bag I'm thinking on, because I allready have a bunch of options.

--Further thinking on carts. Those fold up grocery carts might be a good idea to have in the trunk...especially if you work in a downtown somewhere & would need to get home.

At the begin in if a SHTF type situation, you'd look just like anybody else...

0-1001-condor-edc-bag-tan.jpg
This is my edc bag .I know...it looks tacticool and all but it fit my needs and the around the chest carry means I have free hands. When I need something from it i swing it around to the front and I can use one hand to get what I need and still have one hand free..

+1 for mission specific bags...I have a medical bag a fire and water bag and an arms bag..the med and fire bag are small the arms bag is a bit bigger. I have a duty belt set up with holster mag pouch my cold Steel OSS and assorted goodies. My question is ..Why wouldn't you carry a handgun in a bag if you could? A wise man once said use your handgun to fight your way to a rifle. If shtf I will be carrying minimum two handguns, and my rifle.. one on my hip and one concealed. It's better to be safe than sorry and everything I can bring to bear in a bad situation helps me just that much more

I carry already a pistol almost 24/7 and my GHB has a pistol. That's 2. My BOB has a rifle (broke down to fit) and the reason there isn't another pistol (already carrying one) is basic: weight.

I backpack often and know how much and how long I can schlub my pack around and adding another pistol to a BOB is overkill and takes room / weight for things I need to get to my location....

I carry already a pistol almost 24/7 and my GHB has a pistol. That's 2. My BOB has a rifle (broke down to fit) and the reason there isn't another pistol (already carrying one) is basic: weight.

I backpack often and know how much and how long I can schlub my pack around and adding another pistol to a BOB is overkill and takes room / weight for things I need to get to my location....
Whatever works for you is all good...this is a personal preference thing. The only point that I disagree with is "overkill" I don't believe in overkill when it comes to protecting myself or my family. If I had to carry a 100lb ruck up a mountain to keep my family safe I would. If I had to load every firearm I have in it and could only walk for 10 minutes at a time I would. I am not saying you wouldn't I am saying always be prepared always be vigilant because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

There is no "overkill." There is only "open fire" and "time to reload."

...on a similar question of pistol in a BOB/GHB, what are folks thoughts on a small carbine or takedown?

I'd think, for me anyways, it would be for a GHB. ie if I'm on a long driving trip away from home.

I'd given a bit of thought on one of those Keltec Sub 2000's in 9mm, because my EDC is (...will be) 9mm. Magazines aren't a match, but only 1 ammo type would be a plus.

Still on the fence on it, but it would fit nicely in my day pack. I could likely devise a secure long term storage for it in my truck.

Also seems a load of fun to shoot...

I would challenge people to post their bags total weight and how far, in your area, you can actually walk before fatigue sets in.

That right there is the best advice. I grabbed by GHB and my 17yr old son and hiked up Dog Mountain and Angel's Rest last summer. Definitely dropped some gear after those hikes.

-D

It's real amazing how fast your mental game changes after a few miles lugged down.

Gives you lots of time to think of reasons not to take the stuff your hauling;).

I'm always guilty of this because of my ocd to have 2 of everything - just in case:oops:

I've daydreamed a lot about the Kel Tec carbine. Sure would be great if your pistol was Beretta, Glock or SIG and the carbine took the same mags (I think those are the options Kel Tec offers).

Because we look at the bag in the trunk as a GHB, and we both wear sidearms, we decided to stick the .22 rifle in the bag (also, we already had more than one AR-7).

The folding carbine will fit a pack or even attache case, and can be deployed fairly quickly. Lets you keep low profile until things really go bad.

My GHB/BOB is a Kelty Red Cloud 5600 CI backpack! It resides in my Jeep 24/7 and I am never more then 150 meters from that Jeep! I have mostly food rations and serious hiking gear, Same basic set up I used for the entire length Pacific Crest Trail hike I did in 2 month spreads. Combined weight with out the arms was 72.3 pounds, and I could, and still can hump that for 12 to 15 miles in mixed terrain with 4 to 9 on serious conditions other then snow! With snow shoes I can average close to 8 miles depending of terrain conditions! I am also acclimated to very high altitude, I rest my head at 9400 feet every night, so I have a serious advantage in distances and can op at alt for longer then any threat, so i'm GTG there! For SHTF I add in my Class 4 plates in a custom carrier which doubles as a climbing/roping/jumping harness with ammo and gear pouches in key places, to which I add a double bandoleer with 12 mags total of 7.62X51 rifle ammo. There is also an add on hip pouch each side ( sort of like a drop leg bag) with extra gear including a ships boarding ax and machete. For firearms, I carry my FN/FAL, and my STI Double stack 10 mm with 4 extra loaded mags plus the one in the weapon. I also carry a beretta cougar in a ankle holster on the right side and a Bowie knife in a matching boot rig on the left side! Total gear weight ready to boogy is 145 pounds! Takes 8 min to gear up and be gone. So how does all this this help you? It gives the extreme limits of what can be achieved when a sound body and mind combine with experience and practice and sets an example of just how far one person can go! I also have a drafting Dog that can in most cases triple the work load I can do, and he is usually right at my side day in and day out! Now We just need to get the wife up to spec! LOL! She is getting there slow but sure! YOU CAN TOO!

I have given thought to a "just in case" hidden gun in the vehicle. I think about custom modified center consoles, etc. But every time I see a clever hiding spot on YouTube I think others know about it.

I think I'll stick with personal defensive sidearm on me, something light that can reach out further (only to DISengage) in the bag (again, this is a Get Home Bag in the car). But a few extra pistol magazines in the bag is logical. I do tend to carry more extra mags during visits to "civilization" these days, but a bit more in the bag is worth the weight.

If you cannot carry a Personal Defensive Weapon at all times, then a good pistol in your bag makes sense.

An ordinary .22 LR can be fairly quiet. I've never quite figured out how some seem quieter than others, but it's more than just barrel length. If much is going on, the "snap" of a .22 rifle firing is really not much of a noise at all.

Tickled my memory: I used to have a low wall Winchester single shot that had been converted from .25-20 Single Shot (a different and less common cartridge than .25-20) to .257 Magnum long before I got it. The old gun had a 28 inch octagon barrel. Loaded with a mild .38 target wadcutter round, it was quieter than most .22 rifles. I think the 2.7 to 3 grains of Bullseye was all burned up and the bullet just coasting, by the time it left that long barrel. ;)

Putting aside AR pistol legalities, "arm braces" that are "not buttstocks" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), I am must a bit curious. How much do you give up ballistically when you go to a 10.5 inch barrel or even 7.5 inches? The .223 is a varmint round, and loses a bit just going from 20 inches to 16.

I was reading this:
SHTF Kit Planning: What to Have and Why – Part I

He has people carrying a pistol and 5 mags and 50 extra rounds minimum. What's that work out to, 6 or 8 pounds?

I always wonder about the utility of pistols in these situations. What is the rifle for, anyway? At least you can hit something with it.

To carry that 8 pounds, you have to give up something else, that might make more sense to bring along. 8 pounds (say 300 rounds) of rifle ammo? A gallon of water? Food?

I can see pistols for a lot of things, such as concealed carry in a "normal" society. Or sitting on your bedstand. But SHTF? Someone please explain to me why a pistol makes any sense. Note, I'm not saying a pistol can never have any use - obviously there are a lot of situations where it would. An M60 would also have some uses. I just don't see how a pistol makes the cut...

Mine is P228 on my belt with three spare mags. A secondary is always useful and as someone undoubtedly already pointed out, you use your pistol to get to your rifle if/when separated/cleaning your rifle/last stand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top