JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have specific preps for each situation I may find myself in and where I am going. I do a lot of different things to earn a living and each requires a different daily level of preps.

Most days I am an office weenie about 3 miles and 3 bridges from home. Normal BOB's in the Explorer, EDC 9mm with 2 mags on me, .380 in the back pocket. Wife at the same spot, 9 mm EDC. 50 rounds extra ammo for each in the vehicle. Also have 100 feet of 3/8 inch nylon rope and a small grappling hook, to aid in crossing the creeks if required. Portable ham radio too. Pre arranged frequencies to contact other family members. Priority is to get to home base.

Another day may find me pilot vehicle for moving heavy equipment. That changes over to an F 350 4x4 with the same equipment, and add in a long gun, tactical vest with 3 mags and .40 cal pistol. This same load will be in he pickup if we go to the beach or take the travel trailer somewhere.

Now I only make about 4 trips a year to Portland (kill me now), and that is usually the Explorer, and I take a long gun, along with the rest of the stuff.

Natural disasters would create problems getting home no doubt. Those are random and cannot be planned. I will live like we have been and deal with what ever comes. If society was moving towards insurrection or anarchy, then I am not leaving home for any reason, other than local trips where transit security can be maintained without it being like going out on a military patrol expecting contact. I can easily survive at home for 3 months or more.

Each situation will require different outfitting. Always consider that when some level of SHTF happens, roadways will be impassable depending on the SHTF.

Sitting 5 miles from home reading this in shorts and flip flops.

I have my Everywhere bag with me but not my boots or more then one gun and 2 mags on me.

It's a trip I make very often and I couldn't replace my boots and gear that I probably should have all the time but it's a lot to pack in and out of the car so I guess I've gotten complacent.

5 miles and no bridges is doable with what I have on me if not all that comfortable.

I do take boots and a rifle along with all the usual get home stuff when I leave my 10 mile radius of normal doings - but not always.

I need to think of a system that I can take with me that is one big bundle instead of a gun case and boots and survival gear and and and etc.

Something for me to think about.

I think most people drastically underestimate what you are going to encounter at choke points, bridges, trails or pirate ambushes. Talk to some military guys from Nam on to Afghanistan and see what it takes to secure such a crossing or transit point.

Trained people with suitable fire power at least at the squad level to pretty much wipe out the OPFOR in totality if not reinforced, is what it is going to take. That is not going to happen if the wife and I are trying to get home. Hence the grappling hook set up to move away from those area.

Superior numbers and fire power. Really no different from a military operation.

I think most people drastically underestimate what you are going to encounter at choke points, bridges, trails or pirate ambushes. Talk to some military guys from Nam on to Afghanistan and see what it takes to secure such a crossing or transit point.

Trained people with suitable fire power at least at the squad level to pretty much wipe out the OPFOR in totality if not reinforced, is what it is going to take. That is not going to happen if the wife and I are trying to get home. Hence the grappling hook set up to move away from those area.

Superior numbers and fire power. Really no different from a military operation.

I'm partial to gorilla type fighter personally because I'm not joining up with a mob of people.

Sitting 5 miles from home reading this in shorts and flip flops.

I have my Everywhere bag with me but not my boots or more then one gun and 2 mags on me.

It's a trip I make very often and I couldn't replace my boots and gear that I probably should have all the time but it's a lot to pack in and out of the car so I guess I've gotten complacent.

5 miles and no bridges is doable with what I have on me if not all that comfortable.

I do take boots and a rifle along with all the usual get home stuff when I leave my 10 mile radius of normal doings - but not always.

I need to think of a system that I can take with me that is one big bundle instead of a gun case and boots and survival gear and and and etc.

Something for me to think about.
ALWAYS have good boots or shoes with you
Tomorrow morning I will head for the hot springs. Drive up , soak, drive home,right?
I'm never sure it will go that way so the boots are in the truck.
1 good smack into concrete and you aren't walking very far

ALWAYS have good boots or shoes with you
Tomorrow morning I will head for the hot springs. Drive up , soak, drive home,right?
I'm never sure it will go that way so the boots are in the truck.
1 good smack into concrete and you aren't walking very far

Agreed I'm guilty:oops:.

I almost live in flip flops and grew up barefoot so in my case it's not the worst thing but as I said it's something I'm going to remedy.

Just my 2 penny's:

• 1 liter Nalgene bottle
  • Water purification tablets /no need to double up for a 2-3 day hike
  • Lifestraw
  • 12) Powdered energy drink mix (single serving)
  • 3) 3600 calorie Mayday Bar
  • 2 pack Plastic Poncho / black construction bags are more versitile and lighter
  • Walking shoes / low boots
  • Hoody & Sweat pants (grey or black) / cotton and the PNW don't mix. They get wet and soak up water like a sponge then get heavy - I'd pick up some sporting clothes like running gear that will wick away water
  • 4) Mylar blankets
  • Mylar 2 person tent / one tarp will do the same plus can be used as a stretcher or many other things
  • Stocking cap
  • Two pair socks
  • 2) Two cubic foot stuff bags
  • Map of area
  • Hand towel
  • Lighter
  • Fire starter cubes

• 2) 2" Gauze roll
  • Add non stick sterile pads to put over large wounds before you use the gauze to hold it in place

• Band aids
  • Quick Clot
  • 4 oz Sunscreen
  • 2 pair Nitrile gloves
  • 2 oz alcohol
  • Roll adhesive tape

• Toothbrush
  • 2 oz liquid soap
  • Sample size toothpaste
^^^Extra weight and you can go a few days without
  • Pack of unscented diaper wipes - dried and in a Ziplock
  • 6) 1 quart zip lock bags
  • Multi Tool knife
  • Small roll duct tape
  • 50' para cord

Mostly, only take what you know you will use to keep things light. And only you will know what is appropriate. If your kid or wife do not know how to use the gear then train them because you don't want to be giving lessons while on the run home.
You might want to think about adding a simple little compass and planesphere (if your moving at night) to orient yourself if events push you into less than familiar territory in unclear skies. They weigh nothing and can save you bacon in the wilds if you know how to use em.

I keep my bug out backpack next to a gun safe, from which I will take a Ruger MK 3 with a 2x scope and 200 rds, 100 Stingers and 100 MiniMags. It all fits perfectly into the rear most pocket of the backpack, and the MK3 also sits in a belt holster I could saddle if appropriate. The scenario is that me and the family would have to leave the house during an EQ large enough to make it unsafe to stay, and us having to bail.

I keep my bug out backpack next to a gun safe, from which I will take a Ruger MK 3 with a 2x scope and 200 rds, 100 Stingers and 100 MiniMags. It all fits perfectly into the rear most pocket of the backpack, and the MK3 also sits in a belt holster I could saddle if appropriate. The scenario is that me and the family would have to leave the house during an EQ large enough to make it unsafe to stay, and us having to bail.

I am interested in what your plan is as far as leaving. Would you go on the hoof somewhere else ?
Would it make sense to have some preps stored at your location in an area not compromised by the EQ damage ? Urban area or rural ? Set up camp in the back yard ? How many and how old in the family?

Not questioning your decision at all, just interested in what the plan would be with leaving. Always looking to learn from others.

Boots or really good out door hiking type shoes are the first thing I think of when planning for these things. I personally use Salwa M2 Pro climbing boots as my main foot wear and a pair of light weight Morells for back up. This would be part my bugging set up. The Salwa boots have proven to be the longest lasting and most capable of taking a lot of abuse for a very, very long time! I was trained in escape and evasion techniques so it's un likely I would have much trouble getting home or bugging. There is no way to possibly anticipate every thing that can and likely will go wrong, but like they say, adapt and over come. I would never even attempt to over come a road block or any thing like that (check point) like I said, there are always ways around these! For fun, I might take a long shot at one, just to get them looking in the wrong direction, but would never engage in a fight. Gorilla tactics for this Ol Bird!

I am interested in what your plan is as far as leaving. Would you go on the hoof somewhere else ?
Would it make sense to have some preps stored at your location in an area not compromised by the EQ damage ? Urban area or rural ? Set up camp in the back yard ? How many and how old in the family?

Not questioning your decision at all, just interested in what the plan would be with leaving. Always looking to learn from others.

Good question.

Personally, I'll camp out in the back yard while digging thru the pile of rubble trying to reclaim lost items.

I have a structure in my back yard that will survive an earthquake so we would have shelter.

Finances at this time prevent me from stocking it with provisions but it is on the hot list.

Ideally, I would have finished my wife and adult daughters BOB's and that where thier's would be kept along with items to keep the dogs with us.

Mine I take daily so it stays close by.

Leaving my property would be a last case deal. I know my neighborhood very well and even a lot of the people in it so I feel like I would be safer staying out until that was no longer an issue.

The initial post concerned weighing down the bag with a pistol and plenty of ammo. For us, "the bag" is a GHB, not a BOB. We put one together when my wife was commuting 70+ miles to a city. Figured in a sudden SHTF worst case, she might need a few days to sneak home if she had to abandon the car. Our reasoning is that one always wears a personal defensive weapon and some spare ammo (I think she carries more than I do, plus usually a New York Reload). So the GHB doesn't need another service sidearm. But in keeping with the philosophy of NOT fighting set battles, DISengaging from any action, and generally keeping a low profile, we figured a light takedown .22 rifle (in our case, because we have more than one, the AR-7) and 50 or 100 rounds would not weigh all that much. It lets you reach a bit beyond ordinary pistol range and do so relatively quietly.

That bag already has more stuff and weight than we like (but we still throw it into the trunk when we visit "civilization"). Don't need another heavy handgun. It's camo of a sort, but not at all paramilitary in appearance. It's just what was on sale in a hunting & sporting goods dept. In our rural setting, every other person owns a piece of camo of some sort. I tend to dress in comon work clothes, not anything that stands out.

I did read something by Ayoob a while back, recommending a substantial ammo reserve in one's vehicle. I thought about it a bit, looked at the vehicles and thought some more..... If I had a really good hiding spot in a vehicle, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a serviceable sidearm, some sort of generic holster and couple spare magazines, along with a couple of boxes of ammo. Definitely not something you'd need every day, but just in case you somehow got to the vehicle without your gun, or wanted to arm a buddy, it couldn't hurt.

I wouldn't mind trying a Kel Tec Sub 2000, especially if I was carrying a nine and it was a nine (wish they made 'em in .45 ACP). But I'm not Mad Max and she's not Kendra, Warrior Babe of the Outlands. We're not battling our way across the post-apocalyptic deathlands. I think the light .22 rifle makes sense for us.

we live in Seattle, on a slope near water ... I keep a 72H 4 person food & water supply in the car, an emergency clothes bag - ready to go, and said backpack with survival gear, including first aid kit, HAM radio, knife, 100 feet of 6mm cord, duct tape, flash light, 1 biwi per person etc. If the EQ is large enough to make our house unsafe, access roads to our property will likely be destroyed as well, so will the bridges surrounding the city. It could take longer than 3 days for outside help and supplies to be distributed in sufficient quantities.. hiking out could be just to the next shelter on higher ground, or north and around the lake to the next city. Kids are old enough for 15 mile hikes, so that should not be a constraint.

The initial post concerned weighing down the bag with a pistol and plenty of ammo. For us, "the bag" is a GHB, not a BOB. We put one together when my wife was commuting 70+ miles to a city. Figured in a sudden SHTF worst case, she might need a few days to sneak home if she had to abandon the car. Our reasoning is that one always wears a personal defensive weapon and some spare ammo (I think she carries more than I do, plus usually a New York Reload). So the GHB doesn't need another service sidearm. But in keeping with the philosophy of NOT fighting set battles, DISengaging from any action, and generally keeping a low profile, we figured a light takedown .22 rifle (in our case, because we have more than one, the AR-7) and 50 or 100 rounds would not weigh all that much. It lets you reach a bit beyond ordinary pistol range and do so relatively quietly.

That bag already has more stuff and weight than we like (but we still throw it into the trunk when we visit "civilization"). Don't need another heavy handgun. It's camo of a sort, but not at all paramilitary in appearance. It's just what was on sale in a hunting & sporting goods dept. In our rural setting, every other person owns a piece of camo of some sort. I tend to dress in comon work clothes, not anything that stands out.

I did read something by Ayoob a while back, recommending a substantial ammo reserve in one's vehicle. I thought about it a bit, looked at the vehicles and thought some more..... If I had a really good hiding spot in a vehicle, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a serviceable sidearm, some sort of generic holster and couple spare magazines, along with a couple of boxes of ammo. Definitely not something you'd need every day, but just in case you somehow got to the vehicle without your gun, or wanted to arm a buddy, it couldn't hurt.

I wouldn't mind trying a Kel Tec Sub 2000, especially if I was carrying a nine and it was a nine (wish they made 'em in .45 ACP). But I'm not Mad Max and she's not Kendra, Warrior Babe of the Outlands. We're not battling our way across the post-apocalyptic deathlands. I think the light .22 rifle makes sense for us.
Very good post, good working plan that keeps you able to add/change as needed.

You might want to think about adding a simple little compass and planesphere (if your moving at night) to orient yourself if events push you into less than familiar territory in unclear skies. They weigh nothing and can save you bacon in the wilds if you know how to use em.

A few years ago I was visiting family at the ranch and left for home late, drove down the back roads to get back to the interstate, and pretty much just as I left the hills that notorious central valley fog awaited me. I knew there was a gas station south, just not how far south, I was running low on gas, I knew about where I was, but couldn't really make out road signs and got turned around in the fog. Compass saved my bacon that night. I knew as long as I was going in the right direction, I was at least going to have a shorter walk to the gas station. I ended up making it running on fumes, but I made it. No walking in the fog for me.

Planesphere?

Compass, good idea.

Takedown 22, very good idea. AR-7 of course. I've heard the Marlin Papoose is a very nice gun. I have a Marlin 39M which is also sorta takedown.

I did read something by Ayoob a while back, recommending a substantial ammo reserve in one's vehicle.

One potential problem, heat degrades ammo...

A few years ago I was visiting family at the ranch and left for home late, drove down the back roads to get back to the interstate, and pretty much just as I left the hills that notorious central valley fog awaited me. I knew there was a gas station south, just not how far south, I was running low on gas, I knew about where I was, but couldn't really make out road signs and got turned around in the fog. Compass saved my bacon that night. I knew as long as I was going in the right direction, I was at least going to have a shorter walk to the gas station. I ended up making it running on fumes, but I made it. No walking in the fog for me.

Say, those fogs in the Central Valley are for real! There are a couple of steering wheels out there that have my hand prints embedded in them to prove it! I have a compass in my truck by way of my emergency bag and the wife's Outback has one that shows in the RVMirror! Handy to have!

Here is an idea - A Stevens model 30 or 630 shotgun has a removable barrel. Once it is cut down it will break down into two 18 - 20 inch pieces that will fit into a day pack.

These shotguns are readily available for around $200 in Western Field and others. Properly cut to length, painted etc, it will provide a low cost, 50 state legal emergency weapon. The ones with the dovetailing in front of the loading port are the ones you want. A Winchester model 12 will work too but they are more money. Since these will be just kicking around the trunk in a pack, I don't want anything that I am going to feel bad about ruining or losing.

J Stevens Arms 12 Gauge Pump Shotgun (779E) : Pump Action Shotguns at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/569068589)

Western field 30.jpg

I'm ahead of ya on that, I have a take down Winchester '97 cut down to trench specs with trench shield/bayonet lug and the blade to go with it!!! Ends up being about the same as yours! Use a sling to keep the parts together! Ithaca and Savage also have shot guns like these, so the options are pretty good!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top