JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My GHB consists of water, jerky, protein bars, bandages, an extra Gerber Tactical knife, a Fenix 960 lumen flashlight with extra batteries, matches in a waterproof container, a thermal reflecting blanket, 10 loaded magazines for my commander and two boxes of replacement ammo...

Thinking that should get me back home in most situations...

The more I read these treads the more I am glad I moved. The "without" folks would be more skeered of the "with" folks in this neighborhood
Why then also have a pistol?
Why have any gun? Why do folks carry backups? Why have a fire extinguisher?
Maybe you don't shoot a handgun very well. Don't carry one.Maybe you don't need to shoot the guy with a rifle cause he is very close
Lots of whys and what ifs
:s0013:
This is appropriate for this thread also

Get home bag is the way to go. I personally carry a really big hand canon (10 mm double stack) on me at all times, and usually my Walther PPK in its boot holster. I also use an old worn looking NorthFace backpack that belonged to one of my kids, in that I keep an FN P90 sbr and three extra mags as well as my sandwiches and chips. Not standing out and looking different from every one else is very important in the Get home bugg in situation. I keep a rifle close to me at all times weather its locked and hidden in my truck or at home! I see some very good ideas here and may look at some much closer!

I do have some wisdom to share here. I see a lot of very good ideas but also see some potential flaws to consider. One; if you use a bag of any kind, it should be as plane jane and low key as possible. Having one of the many "tackticool" bags is sort of like a sign saying here is a guy or gal with some cool stuff I might want to take and if I have to harm or worse I will. Having a bag that looks heavy just about says the same thing. Another thing is ammo count. If it isn't loaded in mags, I don't bring it. Think of these situations as sort of an escape and evade sort of thing, the best way to blend in is to look just like every one else, scared!!! Your car/truck should also blend in, no bumper stickers eluding to any thing gun related or for that matter military. That works both ways, some people see you as a threat, some see you as a target. Why give any reason to even see you, let alone see you as different? Just having gear when the need arises isn't enough, being invisible is every thing. Just a few things to think about.

I do have some wisdom to share here. I see a lot of very good ideas but also see some potential flaws to consider. One; if you use a bag of any kind, it should be as plane jane and low key as possible. Having one of the many "tackticool" bags is sort of like a sign saying here is a guy or gal with some cool stuff I might want to take and if I have to harm or worse I will. Having a bag that looks heavy just about says the same thing. Another thing is ammo count. If it isn't loaded in mags, I don't bring it. Think of these situations as sort of an escape and evade sort of thing, the best way to blend in is to look just like every one else, scared!!! Your car/truck should also blend in, no bumper stickers eluding to any thing gun related or for that matter military. That works both ways, some people see you as a threat, some see you as a target. Why give any reason to even see you, let alone see you as different? Just having gear when the need arises isn't enough, being invisible is every thing. Just a few things to think about.

I go back and fourth on this: REI visibility and risk looking like you have high end light weight camping gear or whatever camo and risk being targets for your survival stuff and guns?

Personally, I'm taking hunting camo and moving at night if I can.

IMO the only way to be a grey man is without a pack and nothing in your hands.

Blending in should be a normal part of life for most of us, the real trick is to do so with out looking like you are trying to! The gear you have worked really hard to select to fill your needs should blend into your normal way of life seamlessly to the point that no one would ever suddenly see you as any different! In this, not only the people that know you would never suspect any thing, but every one else will see you the same way!

These posts about blending are, for certain circumstances, exactly on point.

Think about how "blendy" one might look waking down the road carrying a $900 to $1,500 rifle.

Since the topic here is pistols in BOB's I think it's a good point that a .308 battle, or 5.56 tactical carbine is gonna look like, "come and get me" to some bad folks, if rule of law is suspended for awhile.

A purpose-made pack such as the 'work' one I posted above can easily be inserted into a crappy worn-out civilian small pack you can pick up at Goodwill for $10.00. Off you go, and no one is the wiser. Inside, you are organized.

Thrift stores can provide you with a nice crappy civilian "welfare coat" and other accessories that could carry valuable items that people would forget as soon as they glanced at it.

Best of all they are cheap and you help those at the store who need it at the same time.

The "Grey Man" thing really kinda does get beaten to death in a lot of ways by a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons. One of the big ones I often notice is "military style bags". Honestly, these are so common these days that I see homeless people carrying them (usually the cheap-ish chinese type) in everything from coyote to multicam. I don't think I've ever seen one in one of the fashion colors (black, red, etc).

The other big thing is, where are you? Are you trying to get out of downtown portland? Seattle? Good luck to you. If you live anywhere out in the sticks, the guy with the NRA bumper sticker, the camo hat on his old dodge/ford/chevy pickup blends in perfectly. In fact, if you're the one driving the subaru forester with your REI life is good sticker, and "wag more bark less" you're one of them "city folk" the kind that's either out here to collect signatures for some initiative no one but the few soccer moms in the area are going to support, or you're going out to some trail head where you will probably be killed in an avalanche. (funny story, buddy does stuff for County SAR, they regularly take bets on which subaru belonged to the person they're going to go "recover")

Fitting in with your environment is important, however a lot of the grey man discussion gets suckered into assuming everyone in the city is leaving it, and that if you're in the country there's no reason to bug out. There's really no one "right look" in all honesty, unless you're first response is to throw on your tac-rig, your AR-15 and look like an extra from Zero Dark Thirty in downtown Seattle, you're probably doing ok. At the same time, if you show up in the sticks wearing yoga pants with your REI backpack, they may assume they can save themselves a lecture about checking their white male cis privilege by shooting at you.

FWIW, I really don't think the military themed ... is as big a negative as it maybe once was. At this point, you're probably best off with a pair of khaki cargo pants, a polo, and sunglasses, people will probably assume you to be some kind of authority figure, and only the most violent people out there will try to do anything about it. In all honesty, go get some cheap business cards printed, come up with a back story, learn the lingo and point a lot. You could probably talk your way through a security check-point with a little bit of practice. "Oh yes, I'm the tactical attache to the county supervisor's secretary" or some bs... just make sure that person has a name that you know. (even if that's BS)

Just north of Portland (and even in it) there are plenty of folks sporting Real Tree Camo shirts, bags or hats that that kind of camo would blend fairly well.

Wouldn't want to be in military fatigues.

Been wanting to retro fit a locking hard guitar case to fit a rifle, mags and ammo but I can't find anywhere to hang my guitar and I'm too cheap to go buy one lol. Maybe if I can find one used.

It makes perfect sense for a get home bag. A SHTF bag is kind of a silly concept because who in their right mind would (unless otherwise faced with dying) venture away from their known territory with a little gear, battling elements and other folks on the road/back roads?

For a get home bag they make perfect sense. You're not set up for offense you're set up for defense, to get home by any means necessary. Also the other parts of a get home bag is blending at work, church, school..etc. most rifles cant break down into practical sized bags.
I carry: CZ999, 7 loaded mags, a kydex holster as well as an IWB holster. Sure, it seems like overkill, but its all just in case. I do carry a rifle when I feel like my travels take me too far from home. I always do, it gives me piece of mind.. That and Im always looking for new places to shoot.

If he isnt taking a rifle.. Then I can understand just having the pistol.. But you're right, if an aggressor has a rifle and you're in range but only have a pistol.. You had better hope he's a lousy shot.

If I was bugging out and people werent an issue, food, water..etc would all take priority.

Id honestly advise him to plan on bugging in, worst case scenario he has to load it in his vehicle and scoot.

I agree with most of what you had to say. A GHB is a larger priority than a BOB. I work 36 miles away from home on the opposite side of Portland. My thoughts are that I will be walking home and need to be prepared for a 2-3 day trek.
I will need water (life straw and/or tablets)
I need food (Mayday Bars)
I need cold / wet weather clothing & boots
I need shelter (Mylar tent & sleeping bag)
I may need a bigger gun than my carry (870 Marine Magnum folder)
The other thing to consider is that for some of us it may be safer where we are than trying to run the gauntlet. Or there may be no home to go to. I live a mile off pavement and am prepared to live off grid for six months so getting back to home base is a priority.

Last Edited:
I agree with most of what you had to say. A GHB is a larger priority than a BOB. I work 36 miles away from home on the opposite side of Portland. My thoughts are that I will be walking home and need to be prepared for a 2-3 day trek.
I will need water (life straw and/or tablets)
I need food (Mayday Bars)
I need cold / wet weather clothing & boots
I need shelter (Mylar tent & sleeping bag)
I may need a bigger gun than my carry (870 Marine Magnum folder)
The other thing to consider is that for some of us it may be safer where we are than trying to run the gauntlet. Or there may be no home to go to. I live a mile off pavement and am prepared to live off grid for six months so getting back to home base is a priority.

So you didn't say which side you live on, I'm going to guess you're living on the east end and working in the west. If it's the other way around, why not add an inflatable raft, a wetsuit and a dry bag to your car kit? Float down-river, sure someone can shoot at you, but unless they're in a boat, that's pretty useless.

Even then, the addition of the boat may allow you to cross the river and walk back on the north side.

My goal is gray man....my Bob is a non descript black backpack you might see on a college kid. 1 box of ammo for the edc. Mags, etc. on me. No obvious camo. Boring ball cap, prescription shades & shooting glasses. Belt knife, a spare or two of other items, food, etc. INCH bag different story.... My "truck gun" is pretty concealable and so don't expect confiscation unless they detain and search....then all bets are off.:eek:

Brutus Out

Folding Keltic SU-16C two mags and you're set. Cheap light and handy for something you most likely will never need. Add a quality aimpont H1 and perfection.

A close second might be a 30-30 henry... but it's too nice.

Build an AR pistol w about 10in barrel & RDS of your choice, as cheap as this and easily as concealable. I'd go with 4x30rd mags as they fit in the old 2 pouch AK mag carrier.

Brutus Out

Just north of Portland (and even in it) there are plenty of folks sporting Real Tree Camo shirts, bags or hats that that kind of camo would blend fairly well.

Wouldn't want to be in military fatigues.

Been wanting to retro fit a locking hard guitar case to fit a rifle, mags and ammo but I can't find anywhere to hang my guitar and I'm too cheap to go buy one lol. Maybe if I can find one used.

Look in to soft "gig" bags. Smaller bang sticks fit in tennis racket bags or similar size musical instrument bags. Foam can be used sourced and cut to fit your needs so no rattling around.

Brutus Out

Folding Keltic SU-16C two mags and you're set. Cheap light and handy for something you most likely will never need. Add a quality aimpont H1 and perfection.

A close second might be a 30-30 henry... but it's too nice.

Thanks a lot! Now I need one!
I was thinking about the A version or the CA version though (Kalifornia Kompliant) just to stay out of trouble. Three 10 round mags should be plenty. http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifle/su-16a

im curious about the idea of buggin out with a rifle.... seems to me youd be the first one shot for it, or taken away by the police or National Guard when they come thru. I dont see how carrying a rifle makes anyone blend in as the grey man.... Just how far can one get on foot with a rifle if SHTF?

im curious about the idea of buggin out with a rifle.... seems to me youd be the first one shot for it, or taken away by the police or National Guard when they come thru. I dont see how carrying a rifle makes anyone blend in as the grey man.... Just how far can one get on foot with a rifle if SHTF?

At an average of 3 miles an hour you could be almost 36 miles away in 12 hours of marching.

How many people have that stamina? Not me nor few to anyone I know. Especially multiple days of that.

IF I ever bug out it will be the back woods and not on pavement. I don't see people shooting other people for thier rifles in the first few weeks of an event. That would also put them at risk of return fire and death. If they already have weapons then they would want food is my guess.

Ultimately I'd rather have a rifle then not no matter the drawbacks. Handguns are backup weapons and something you take to the throne because a rifle is a pain to take everywhere you go all day.

(As a side note to everyone, all tough talk aside - how many people here would be willing or able to kill an innocent person?; aside from the phycopaths and murderers - most criminals are not killers)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top