JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was reading this:
https://defensivetraininggroup.word...htf-kit-planning-what-to-have-and-why-part-i/

He has people carrying a pistol and 5 mags and 50 extra rounds minimum. What's that work out to, 6 or 8 pounds?

I always wonder about the utility of pistols in these situations. What is the rifle for, anyway? At least you can hit something with it.

To carry that 8 pounds, you have to give up something else, that might make more sense to bring along. 8 pounds (say 300 rounds) of rifle ammo? A gallon of water? Food?

I can see pistols for a lot of things, such as concealed carry in a "normal" society. Or sitting on your bedstand. But SHTF? Someone please explain to me why a pistol makes any sense. Note, I'm not saying a pistol can never have any use - obviously there are a lot of situations where it would. An M60 would also have some uses. I just don't see how a pistol makes the cut...

It does seem to me that the place for a pistol in that situation is in a holster on your belt. I could imagine a pocket-size pistol in the same caliber as your carry gun, say, a PF9/LC9/CM9 kind of thing. At least it could be one more inexpensive option. But the place for one's pistol is on one's person. Off-body carry is a weak option in good times...

I don't have one equipped that way yet, but I'm thinking about it. It would be something small, like a SCCY CPX-2, Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9s Pro, etc. with an inexpensive holster, with maybe a little extra ammo. I would plan it not necessarily for myself, but perhaps for my wife, who doesn't normally carry, but may want to in an emergency. There is also the chance that if, for some reason, I'm not carrying (rare), I could be assured I still have access to self defense.

I don't have one equipped that way yet, but I'm thinking about it. It would be something small, like a SCCY CPX-2, Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9s Pro, etc. with an inexpensive holster, with maybe a little extra ammo. I would plan it not necessarily for myself, but perhaps for my wife, who doesn't normally carry, but may want to in an emergency. There is also the chance that if, for some reason, I'm not carrying (rare), I could be assured I still have access to self defense.

My wife will have my sccy and I will have my gp100. Maybe 50 rounds for each but no more then that.

I don't keep guns in bags.

Rest of the weight would all be rifle rounds and/or shot shells.

I agree with the OP why bring a pistol to a gun fight when you have a rifle...

My wife will have my sccy and I will have my gp100. Maybe 50 rounds for each but no more then that.

I don't keep guns in bags.

Rest of the weight would all be rifle rounds and/or shot shells.

I agree with the OP why bring a pistol to a gun fight when you have a rifle...

My assumption is that the bag will be with me, in the car, when I'm away from home, where it won't be practical to have a rifle on hand. At home, that's another matter. I may be tempted to grab the 590A1, some regular shot, slugs and buck - lots of uses for such a gun - from hunting to self defense.

GP100 is a nice choice :) Got to get one of those one of these days.

I was reading this:
https://defensivetraininggroup.word...htf-kit-planning-what-to-have-and-why-part-i/

He has people carrying a pistol and 5 mags and 50 extra rounds minimum. What's that work out to, 6 or 8 pounds?

I always wonder about the utility of pistols in these situations. What is the rifle for, anyway? At least you can hit something with it.

To carry that 8 pounds, you have to give up something else, that might make more sense to bring along. 8 pounds (say 300 rounds) of rifle ammo? A gallon of water? Food?

I can see pistols for a lot of things, such as concealed carry in a "normal" society. Or sitting on your bedstand. But SHTF? Someone please explain to me why a pistol makes any sense. Note, I'm not saying a pistol can never have any use - obviously there are a lot of situations where it would. An M60 would also have some uses. I just don't see how a pistol makes the cut...
It makes perfect sense for a get home bag. A SHTF bag is kind of a silly concept because who in their right mind would (unless otherwise faced with dying) venture away from their known territory with a little gear, battling elements and other folks on the road/back roads?

For a get home bag they make perfect sense. You're not set up for offense you're set up for defense, to get home by any means necessary. Also the other parts of a get home bag is blending at work, church, school..etc. most rifles cant break down into practical sized bags.
I carry: CZ999, 7 loaded mags, a kydex holster as well as an IWB holster. Sure, it seems like overkill, but its all just in case. I do carry a rifle when I feel like my travels take me too far from home. I always do, it gives me piece of mind.. That and Im always looking for new places to shoot.

If he isnt taking a rifle.. Then I can understand just having the pistol.. But you're right, if an aggressor has a rifle and you're in range but only have a pistol.. You had better hope he's a lousy shot.

If I was bugging out and people werent an issue, food, water..etc would all take priority.

Id honestly advise him to plan on bugging in, worst case scenario he has to load it in his vehicle and scoot.

My Maxpedition go-bag has a G-21 in it with one spare magazine and a 50-round box of ammo in the main compartment, along with some other goodies, such as X-26 Taser, MK-IV can of CS/OC, an electric lock pick kit and Icom UHF radio. On top in the main compartment is the G-21's belt holster.

Sometimes there's an AR Magazine in the top pouch, and a Benchmade Nimravus fixed blade on the carry-strap.

This is a little shoulder pack... which is more of a fast-reaction emergency kit than a bug-out-and-don't-come-back kind of deal. There are a few pieces of hygiene maintenance in there too, such as soap, toothbrush, and so on that you might need in a bivouac for a couple days.

This go-bag is my standard bring-along for unusual work circumstances such as serving a warrant of execution or imposing a surveillance, when I don't know what we may need once we get there and don't want a pile of gear limiting movement. Add a rifle with sling and it's a pretty complete package.

Since we're on the topic:
The method I prefer to having one large BOB is to have a modular approach, with a weapons bag, a food kit with lots of water, and a smaller pack with personal gear such as change of clothes, poncho, etc. This way they can be combined to suit the circumstances.

As an aside, I think the likelihood of SHTF in a way that it did in Bosnia and would last a year or more is extremely unlikely. More likely is the highways and support infrastructure are out of service for a few days to maybe a week due to a natural disaster such as Mt. Rainier blowing up or a really serious earthquake.

So did I answer the question? It's been a long day. :eek:

My Maxpedition go-bag has a G-21 in it with one spare magazine and a 50-round box of ammo in the main compartment, along with some other goodies, such as X-26 Taser, MK-IV can of CS/OC, an electric lock pick kit and Icom UHF radio. On top in the main compartment is the G-21's belt holster.

Sometimes there's an AR Magazine in the top pouch, and a Benchmade Nimravus fixed blade on the carry-strap.

This is a little shoulder pack... which is more of a fast-reaction emergency kit than a bug-out-and-don't-come-back kind of deal. There are a few pieces of hygiene maintenance in there too, such as soap, toothbrush, and so on that you might need in a bivouac for a couple days.

This go-bag is my standard bring-along for unusual work circumstances such as serving a warrant of execution or imposing a surveillance, when I don't know what we may need once we get there and don't want a pile of gear limiting movement. Add a rifle with sling and it's a pretty complete package.

Since we're on the topic:
The method I prefer to having one large BOB is to have a modular approach, with a weapons bag, a food kit with lots of water, and a smaller pack with personal gear such as change of clothes, poncho, etc. This way they can be combined to suit the circumstances.

As an aside, I think the likelihood of SHTF in a way that it did in Bosnia and would last a year or more is extremely unlikely. More likely is the highways and support infrastructure are out of service for a few days to maybe a week due to a natural disaster such as Mt. Rainier blowing up or a really serious earthquake.

So did I answer the question? It's been a long day. :eek:

I think we would be looking at months before roads ar back up after an earthquake in the PDX area.

Maybe if it's the same caliber as your rifle....

If I were carrying my Henry, sure I'd stuff the GP100 in the bag. Heavy rifle to lug around with only 10 shots per refill.

My pick of the gp100 was because it goes bang every time I pull the trigger and is stainless steel. I figure if I can hunt deer with it I can take a person down if needs be, or bear or big cat etc.

Basically, if I'm going to have a pistol then it's going to be a big one - no reason for me to play with 9mm or 45, no matter how many rounds they carry.

If I had a .44mag I might even go that route but .357 is what I own now.

I'm sure the 4lbs loaded plus som ammo will add a lot to my total weight (I carry it hiking and hunting so it's been practiced enough I know I could do it - if I could find the same performance from a 1.5lb gun then I'd be looking at that:p:D.

My rifle will be a .308win so there is no way to have pistol/rifle compatable ammo for me unfortunately.

Within 24 hours of any SHTF situation the worse dregs of society will be fully armed with pretty much anything their little stone hearts desire (probably stolen from heavily armed bug outer's) and will be set up at their choice of ambush and choke points. A highly visible weapon will be a sort of "shoot me" sign.

If conditions warrant bugging out on foot through an urban/suburban landscape it is hopefully with a safer, reachable destination in mind. A known place with familiar surroundings and additional guns, gear and supplies waiting for you, or to just go from work back to your waiting home and family, and getting there as quickly as possible...
...and to preferably arrive in useable condition.

A stuffed over weight pack carried by an over-armed refugee will be a fat target for every "forager group" that sees him. Not to mention the requisite armed Gov't "peace keepers" looking for threats, looters, and anyone obviously armed. They will be under orders to take your rifles from your back and will give no regard to plea, explanation, or reason.
A bug out bag shouldn't be a "living for weeks on the run" bag, that's a whole other topic.
Your weapon goes in your holster on the hip as always (count it as clothing). The bag is for water, energy bars, socks, soap, cord, 10x10 camo tarp, tin cup, meds, a box of ammo (or several loaded mags), small first aid kit, light blanket, flashlight, fire starter, 2 extra large trash bags (for use as rain gear or urban camo), big knife, small hatchet, good binocolars
Remember the 4M's...
Make it light, Make it compact, Make it available, Make it home.

The idea is to stay alive, and if unavoidable, defend yourself against small threats that you can't go around or hide from, while getting from point A to point B..
...it's not to risk your life in defense of a backpack against overwhelming force.

If someone thinks they're going to bug out into a situation that requires hundreds of rounds of rifle fire to fight armed mobs, running and gunniing all the way...they needn't worry about the weight of food or water...because fit or fat they can measure their life in hours, or minutes.
Just my 2 cents.

Last Edited:
I don't like to keep guns or other really High Value Items in my BoB, I had one ripped off some years ago, and it took me years to refind/purchase all the replacements.

BoB has a change of clothes, rain gear, a super-small backpacking sleeping bag, a few days worth of food, a water filter, and a 1-qt canteen. There's an extra box of ammo in the bag, if I somehow manage to shoot all 3 mags I have on me (FNX-9 17rd mags) Handgun lives in the briefcase with 1 in the gun and 2 spares. I really don't like leaving guns in the car, especially in something as easy to grab as a backpack/bag. I do have a mossberg 500, but it's locked to the frame of the car under the rear seat.

Radio/Phone/Flashlight/Knife/etc all live in the briefcase with the gun.

:s0013:
Well a handgun is always useful to have a round cause they don't take up much space .I can hit plenty with a handgun also
Some thoughts from reading the other caZILLionthreads on this.
50 rounds in just one box of shells,not much
If you have to empty the first 7 magazines in your super tacticool vest,some of your party are dead.
Same with the carbine
Very few folks will survive bugging out. Don't have the stamina necessary,knowledge of what to do after they leave the house and vehicle,the mental fortitude
The folks that will survive a bug out will be of the ironman caliber who can run and ride for miles on end. And they have been practicing the bug out for a while
I personally (well I already bugged out) don't think bugging out is the answer. I think being in a neighborhood that you may be able to make some alliances with the other folk there is a much smarter way to go.
Then I have a few thousand rounds at my disposal. And a couple of options on what distance I want those bad guys to stop at
But that's just me:cool:

I can see the utility of a small, concealable yet powerful pistol or revolver!
I carry my handguns, not in a bag, and consider them EDC. We have BOB's but are really too old to carry them:(! I keep them around for my son and his family! We do have travel/emergency packs that sit on the floor in the passengers seat. I keep a Baretta 92 or Sig .45, holster and 4-5 extra magazines in the pack. The pistol rides under the center console! We lock it to the seat frame securely if we both leave the truck together! We also have a rifle or carbine hidden in the back seat, ditto on very securely locked!

Today I was thinking a photo might be helpful. This is the Maxpedition 'weapons/comms' bag.

Inside are a couple protein bars, Bluetooth, lock pick kit, G-21 holster, box of .45 ammo, hygiene kit with sunscreen, stethoscope, Icom earpiece, a couple Taser green-door cartridges.

maxpedition.jpg

Be safe out there.

Old guys do not bug out. They bug in place, establish alliances with close like minded neighbors, establish enforceable perimiters from distance. I take a rifle with me when traveling more than 25 miles from home I seldom leave my vehicle unattended in any form.

BOB has a box of extra 9 mm in it. Depending on situation, a tactical vest may be there also.

Lots of variables to the load out.

My question was more along the lines of, assume you have an AR-15 available to you, and that it makes sense for the situation. Why then also have a pistol?

I can see carrying both in the car trunk, or long gun in the trunk and pistol on your waist (before SHTF happens). There is no need for tradeoffs at that point. It's just when you are faced with a long walk back, what do you do? Leave the pistol in the car?

Short of providing it to a wife or friend during the walk back, I say leave it. Carry the rifle.

If it's really SHTF there won't be any cops trying to disarm you (they will be walking home too), and the thugs will have plenty of unarmed victims available so they are not going to take you on.

My question was more along the lines of, assume you have an AR-15 available to you, and that it makes sense for the situation. Why then also have a pistol?

I can see carrying both in the car trunk, or long gun in the trunk and pistol on your waist (before SHTF happens). There is no need for tradeoffs at that point. It's just when you are faced with a long walk back, what do you do? Leave the pistol in the car?

Short of providing it to a wife or friend during the walk back, I say leave it. Carry the rifle.

If it's really SHTF there won't be any cops trying to disarm you (they will be walking home too), and the thugs will have plenty of unarmed victims available so they are not going to take you on.

Failures happen to all mechanical and electrical equipment.

The pistol is there just in case your rifle isn't functioning.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top