JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Correction, crappy imitations of M4s are like $400.

As to the OP, ask any police/military armorer what moving to Glock pistols did for their training time.

Anymore, a basic AR in the $400 to $500
Can be just as reliable as a Colt. S&W Sport IIs have gained a reputation of reliability.

Going from HK to S&W has decreased overall scores by a bit. Its also decreased cost for guns and parts, training time, drill times, the number of failure to fire due to safeties, cost for holsters.....

Id sacrifice a couple of points on PPCs with all those benefits.

Thanks all for the thoughts, ideas, etc. I was talking about this this morning with the wifely sidekick; most of our family is armed pretty well. Some not. Some only lightly so. Of the top of my head, one wants to get training and acquire a piece (a sister-in-law).

But, you never know what a day will bring, things are constantly in motion, and we are making our own plans for the future. As we are in a position to legally supply said, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to kick around ideas. :)

This guy is working on, making plans, etc., to take care of business, for the family, close and extended. Most of the work is not in the field of firearms (e.g., land, finance, business, et al.), but there are some, like this one.
Maybe I am still a bit 'foggy' from the loss of blood but this was confusing to me.
What exactly is 'making plans' and 'take care of business mean' in this instance? Is he expecting a problem?
Most of the work is not in the field of firearms
This also didn't fit the context of the post. (to me anyway)
Hey I am still not 'all here' so please bear with me.

Got to go with the others recommending the Glock 17/19, for all the reasons previously listed and not needing to be repeated here.

Also not my favorite, but reliable and easy to shoot. For a SHTF type side-arm, they're hard to beat.

Maybe I am still a bit 'foggy' from the loss of blood but this was confusing to me.
What exactly is 'making plans' and 'take care of business mean' in this instance? Is he expecting a problem?

This also didn't fit the context of the post. (to me anyway)
Hey I am still not 'all here' so please bear with me.

Glad u are feeling better!

Can't speak for @CountryGent and his, just me & mine. So from my standpoint it is now a VY good time to put back extra, if you can.

I'd say find a reputable AR carbine in the $400 range. Which would only be a tad more than the available police trade ins for pistols. Ruger 556 base models likely can be had by dealers for a great price.

Someone even posted a link to a $300 complete AR15 somewhere here.

Rifles are a lot more forgiving to a new shooter in my eyes due to how you have to handle them, with both handles, than pistols. Their affective range is greater, as is many other characteristics.

Ideally in the scenario provided, it would be best to equip everyone with a pistol and a rifle. If I could only choose one, it be the rifle.

Question:

Why handguns?

Trade in police 870's (or Mossy's if you prefer) are about $200.

Dead reliable.

Multiple kinds of rounds available.

Easier to teach someone how to shoot.

Has about the same effective range as a pistol but with more power.

I could probably go on for another couple pages, it I think I made my point.

Just my 2¢.

Shotguns are a great choice.

However for those that aren't good with recoil...

Or the weight of the gun itself...

Are you arming children or adults?

You can get reduced recoil loads for smaller ladies.

Again just my 2¢.

Hell, if your going to spend $350 on a Glock or beretta then you could just as easily build base model AR-15's. Recoil issues solved and you just gained 300-400yards of effective range.

I'll take a long gun over a pistol in any situation minus concealed carry.

Legally, safely and effectively you don't arm a group of mixed knowledge folks with handguns.
A handy carbine is the correct option.

M-4's are like $400.

Most definitely, and the author of this quote touched on a subject that is important to consider for the purposes of the OP planning. If it were me, would prefer all individuals had rifles at their disposal than pistols (especially considering it seems there would be a mixed bag of firearms experience in the end users). Rifles are also more easily safely operated by inexperienced individuals compared to the very easy carelessness that can take place with inexperienced users in possessions of firearms with short barrels.

If I was long term planning for an 'event.' The purchase price of a decent AR is about the same or even less than a Glock and magazines are even cheaper for the AR.

I already have enough to arm a tribe , and it would even be state of the art....For much the 19th century...:D
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

Smith SD9VE. They are decent, go bang every time and the trigger is heavy enough to discourage ND's. Probably around $200 or less at dealer cost.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top