JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My father passed away and he left his police service revolver to me. My stepmother has it in California.
How can I legally transfer this?
Could she take it to her local FFL and have it shipped to my FFL in Oregon?
I would think so, but she said she purchased a pistol recently private party and had to drive to Southern California twice for the purchase. Once for the purchase and a second time for pickup after the bg check and waiting period was over. Seems strange since I know I can buy a pistol interstate from Gun Broker and have it shipped to my local FFL.
Thanks!!

My father passed away and he left his police service revolver to me. My stepmother has it in California.
How can I legally transfer this?
Could she take it to her local FFL and have it shipped to my FFL in Oregon?
I would think so, but she said she purchased a pistol recently private party and had to drive to Southern California twice for the purchase. Once for the purchase and a second time for pickup after the bg check and waiting period was over. Seems strange since I know I can buy a pistol interstate from Gun Broker and have it shipped to my local FFL.
Thanks!!
I'm not familiar with inheritance laws, but she can go to UPS or FedEx and overnight it to your FFL. She'll want to call ahead to make sure of any idiosyncracies of the shipper. For example, FedEx wanted me to have a pre-printed shipping label from the receiving FFL.

Last Edited:
Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

I believe you are good without involving an FFL - both for federal and Orygun state law - if you do the transfer person to person face to face.

Otherwise for shipping it has to go to an FFL in your state. Whether she involves an FFL in California or not, I do not know about VA state law.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top