Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Pistol to Rifle conversion.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Dyjital, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Not really a pistol question, and not really a NFA question... bear with me.

I have a SigSauer P556. I considered converting it to a SBR after setting up a trust etc...

Lately I've thought more along the lines of disbanding the whole trust idea and just converting it to a rifle. Currently has a 10.5" barrel.

Since stock options are not limited I'm not getting into that as a discussion point.

10.5" barrel. I'm assuming I need a 6.5" extension to bring me to a total of 16.1" with closed bolt to end of barrel.

I've been searching around on the internet for a faux suppressor (larger diameter) style barrel extension and am having not a whole lot of luck finding them that are that long. I've found hollow chunks of aluminum on ebay that I could profile form etc on a lathe but that's not really what I'm wanting to do as I don't have a lathe in my non existent garage. I'm trying to stick with something I can silver solder onto the barrel as the method of permanent installation. Not really wanting to go the route of welding as that would require a steel piece and substantially more weight than aluminum depending on the size etc. I know I will have to add some weight to the already front heavy gun I'd just want to make sure I'm not adding 10lbs up there. So with that said, not completely opposed to steel like the ones listed below.

Suggestions?

Only things I'm finding as of lately are items like this:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/275983/dpms-flash-hider-5-1-2-length-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-matte
    and
    http://vtsupply.com/guntec-usa-5-5-flash-hider-for-10-5-uppers-us-made-steel.html
    Which would work, if I'm wanting to play roulette if it's long enough or not... :-/ I'd like to find something local that would allow a test fit... but that's probably unlikely.

IMAGE_48_zps666ceb84.jpe

I'm not in need of the lecture either of the "rules" because I'm aware.. barrel first, THEN stock. Sucks that Red LocTite isn't considered permanent.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You can't Silver Solder aluminum either soft (low temp) or Hard (hi temp)

Dyjital and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Dyjital

Ok. So since I can't weld it to steel without high explosives (fuse) I'm down to only a steel extension.

Now I need to locate one to test.

Thanks Mark.

4. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a smart-azz but why not just sell the SIG P556 and get a SIG 556 classic? Now, if it's for the learning experience that's cool and all but otherwise it seems like a lot of work. Anyway, best of luck and if you do it, I'd love to hear all the details.

5. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

I'm not super-familiar with the P556, but would it be possible to get a Sig 556 rifle upper and swap it out?

6. Dyjital

The upper has the serial on this rifle so it would be different.

Less weight because of less spring, rod etc.

mono real reason other than I have it. I could trade it or sell and buy.... I'd have to check weight because these are front heavy to start.

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Dyjital and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Dyjital

So even if I'm using aluminum it has a melting point of 1200*, when I'm needing 1000* solder. That's cutting it super close. A risk I don't know if I want to walk that fine line.

9. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

You can find somebody to do an even swap...

If you were local I'd do it..

10. Dyjital

Yeah I've thought a out that..... Downside is they can keep their POS sights because I'm keeping the ones I put on this one. No way I'm suffering through those oddball height sig factory sights.

Maybe that's what I should do.... Unknown still. I'll weigh out the options tomorrow. Just a pain to find the proper length extension for a reasonable price for a piece of metal.

11. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

Once you mess with it the future sell value will be much lower... there is no upside just downsides to your project...

Only barrel extension I could support is a pinned on can

12. Dyjital

Valid point. Hmmmmm.

/end conversion idea

13. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha Washington New Member

Try the Sig Pistol Stabilizing Brace.

It's hokey...but BATFE approved, and it absolutely will function as a stock. You only need to remove the castle nut, get a pistol buffer tube, and of course the Sig brace.

Instant SBR...um, I mean, stabilized pistol.

SB15 Pistol Stabilizing Brace

14. Dyjital

Yes Ive considered one of those.

But:
    I don't want to be "one step" away from SBR status. I mean $140 could be put towards the $200 tax stamp. Buffer tube is needed regardless.

I'd hate to ever get in trouble.

It is a good thought though.
    its the addition of the tube and having the possible "intent to" fire from shoulder.

as per their ATF letter its only acceptable to use of that device is strapped to your arm.