JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
Found on another forum...

From the link... signed by Melson...

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).

has to do with the Thompson contender i believe.
Long story short if you have a pistol receiver
And you have parts to change back and forth to a rifle,
You have to do it the right way to not have a SBR NFA item.
Say you have a pistol lets say uzi for ease of idea
You later get a 16' barrel and a folding stock.
You can make your pistol a rifle it is legal and then make it back to a pistol BUT
You have to do it in a specific order for legal reasons.
You have to swap out barrel FIRST that way it is 16'+
Then put on the stock, good to go.
You can not put on the stock with the pistol barrel or you have an SBR NFA

Just another update - from another forum that I thought might place some caution on this entire thing... Imagine that..

The question is that all virgin AR receivers are classified as "other" and not as a pistol or rifle. So Melson's letter may or may not apply to AR receivers - Clarification is needed. The speculation is that if it does not include AR receivers then ATF MAY have just sneakily classified all AR style pistols as NFA items due to the language defining a rifle.... A stretch but I would still cautiously await clarification.

OK - just an over reaction.... looks like the letter does apply to AR receivers based on the language. .... Please read it yourself - I'm not a Lawyer!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top