JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just starting to try out the idea of pistol hunting. Decided to use the Ruger SBH in .44 Mag (already owned), and am in the process of selecting a scope.

I've never fired a pistol with a scope before, only a rifle. What is the differences, and what should I look for as a good starter scope?

for starting out, I would go with a lower power. like 2X. I would look for a scope with a generous amount of eye relief.what I mean is one that has a big window of how far, to how near you have to hold it to get a sight picture. I like Burris handgun scopes.

I agree with 2X power or even lower. If you are anything like me, you'll find that sighting through a scope feels foreign at first. It's a bit of an adjustment to be able to instantly aquire your target using the scope. Once you get used to it (practice!), it gets easy. Higher magnification results in it being harder to get used to in my experience.

I have used a T/C Condender with a 2X scope for deer hunting for years. I recently switched to a 4X scope and I have to agree that field of view is reduced. I'm not sure I'll keep it. In any case, buy a quality scope. The recoil of a large caliber handgun is hard on equipment.

for starting out, I would go with a lower power. like 2X. I would look for a scope with a generous amount of eye relief.what I mean is one that has a big window of how far, to how near you have to hold it to get a sight picture. I like Burris handgun scopes.

Me too. I have a Burris 2-7 zoom on my Ruger Super Redhawk in .357Mag. Nice bright scope.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

I have been using scope revolvers for about thirtyfive years. keep the power low, 2X is fine, anything higher really needs to be used from a rest. Leupold and Burris scopes hold up very well to magnum hand guns.

This Burris 2X has had duty on a DW .357 mag and a DW .357 super mag. Still running after twenty years plus.
supermag01.jpg

This 2X Leupold has been on this Super Blackhawk .44mag since the 70's.

PICT0003Medium-2.jpg

Even my newest rig is twenty years old.
PICT0002Medium-2.jpg

Thanks, this helps. My search for a deal on a Burris begins...

madcratebuilder, that second pic is exactly what I was looking for on my SBH. Have the same mount, but a Hogue grip instead of wood.

:s0155:

My eyes are getting bad enough I'm considering optics for my handguns. I'm fairly familiar with requirements for scopes, but what about mounts? Does the frame have to be drilled and tapped for them?

elsie

My eyes are getting bad enough I'm considering optics for my handguns. I'm fairly familiar with requirements for scopes, but what about mounts? Does the frame have to be drilled and tapped for them?

elsie
that just depends on the handgun you are considering.

elsie

There are clamp-on mounts for many different hand guns but they all tend to damage the finish and can move around a bit. Drill and tap is the best method for mounting a hand gun scope, particularly larger calibers.

Welcome to handgun hunting!

Here's a few that I've used sucessfully. (Sorry, not in order to pics)
Smith 57, .41 Magnum/Leupold 2x. Taken: 4pt Muley, Antelope, Rockchucks.

Colt Trooper .357 Magnum/Leupold 2x. Taken: 14" Pronghorn, 3pt Whitetail.

Thompson Contender .25 Bullberry 15" barrel/Leupold 2.5x-8x. Taken: 14" Pronghorn, Coyotes, Rockchucks, Jackrabbits.

Thompson Contender .221 Fireball 10" barrel / Leupold 4x. Taken: Rockchucks, Cougar, Sage Rats, Crows.

Ruger MKII, .22lr./Burris 2x. Taken: Sage Rats, Crows, Raccoons.

pics deleted 8/19

The Trooper and the Ruger have a Weaver cantilever (no drill) mount that works rather well, despite its economy. The Smith has a Leupold mount, and this pistol needed to be drilled for it.

As noted by another comrade here, shooting a handgun with a scope attached takes some practice, but soon becomes rather fast for sight picture acquisition.

The recommendation to stay with 2x is valid, unless you are scoping a cartridge that can reach out. Hence the 2.5-8x on the .25 Bullberry (.30-30 necked down), and the 4x on the Fireball.

You will note that Madcrate and I when scoping the heavier recoil guns try to snug the turret of the scope against the forward ring (to prevent slippage). He deviated from this on his 3-ring mount, and I deviated on the .22lr (no recoil) and the Fireball (due to the design of the 4x versus ring arrangement, and lesser recoil).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads