JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Call WSP at 360-534-2000 option 5 and ask if your restoration has been received and processed and also ask them to make sure the FBI has the restoration on file as well. If your restoration has been processed by both WSP and the FBI and you're still getting denied, then there's something wrong that you specifically need to address.

Receiving a CPL but still being denied through NICS is extremely common. NICS is more thorough than local agencies, so they make pick up on something that the locals don't. Even misdemeanors from other states that are felonies under Washington law could be prohibiting you.

Last Edited:
I'm pretty sure that if you buy a pistol without a CPL, Washington is a point of contact state, meaning there is a 10 day wait and they route the background check through whatever local jurisdiction you fall under. With the CPL they just run a NICS check and keep your atf form on file. I'm sure somebody could correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks,I guess that make sense, although the wait period pre I594 was 3 days, I think. I have always had my CPL and am one of those that has never had a wait or denied.

I'm pretty sure that if you buy a pistol without a CPL, Washington is a point of contact state, meaning there is a 10 day wait and they route the background check through whatever local jurisdiction you fall under. With the CPL they just run a NICS check and keep your atf form on file. I'm sure somebody could correct me if I'm wrong.

This is correct.

WA has had a wait for hand guns for several decades now. Can't remember when it went in. The "wait" is not really a set time as it's supposed to be. What it actually is, is the FFL has to tell your CLEO you want to buy a hand gun. The CLEO has to say OK. This is where the CPL comes in. With that they (FFL) skip this step. I have "heard" it's back to normal for this now. During the last great panic here in Pierce it got pretty bad. People were waiting a month or better as the department was swamped. One co worker went down to buy a new gun after he had applied for his CPL. The shop turned him away cash in hand. Told him just wait till the CPL because if you pay us now it will take at least a month before we get the OK to hand you the gun.
Now I have "heard" this is not the way it's supposed to be here. Not being a lawyer don't know. Anyone who asks me about buying a hand gun here I always say just get the permit first. It just makes the buying so much easier it's worth it even if you don't want to carry.

It took me over a year after I got my rights restored to be able to pass a NICS Check, Then after I got a couple proceeds, I started getting delayed and then got a deny. It took 18 months to fight the deny, at first they denied even my appeal but eventually I got that all turned around and started getting proceeds again then delays and then another deny. I think in total I maybe have got 5 deny's since my rights were restored, The most recent one was just a couple of months ago.

I have concealed carry cards in Oregon, Washington and Idaho and have bought a dozen NFA items since getting my rights back. Those all went fine. Since moving to Idaho my problems are mostly over since they accept an enhanced carry card in place of a NICS check. I just fill out the 4473 and off I go. I still would worry about buying something out of state as there is maybe a one in 4 chance I will get a deny.

I spent years and about $25,000 with various attorneys AFTER my rights were restored trying to get the FBI to update my records. I was never able to really get it sorted. After each long battle I was told everything was sorted and I was good to go only to get denied again. My attorney, whom I actually think is fantastic, wanted to sue the FBI on my behalf (on the grounds I was being denied my rights unjustly) and we went down that road for a while but after I moved I just couldn't see the benefit in spending the cash to sue when the carry card solved my problems.

If you are going to get anywhere you need a lawyer, preferably one with a FBI contact in the NICS department. Writing letters to the FBI I think will yield similar results to writing letters to Santa

Well everybody. It seems as though the NICS gods have denied me again today. And that's alright. I have started my campaign to write letters and have mailed some out already. If the system does not respond to intellect and reason (which this nation used to pride itself on, remember when NASA did actual science?) then I can say beyond a reasonable doubt that the system is unreasonable and reflects horribly on those who run it.

Did you receive a UPIN before you were denied today?

My security camera's went nuts a few minutes ago. So I text my wife and ask her who the hell was at our front door? said not sure but they left a business card that was a tree removal service. I don't have very many tree's in my yard for one. Bless my wifes heart but she deleted the footage before I could down load it. In this economy would you trust someone walking onto your property trying to get your business. there probably not that good if they aren't busy and two my first thought was they were scoping my property.

My point is you just never know when you will need those rights so fight for em. You just may need to protect yourself or a loved one. God willing that will never happen but you want to be prepared if you do. It is your right!!;):)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top