Pistol purchase law Washington state

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by Threetoesloth, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Threetoesloth

Threetoesloth
    Washington

I will spare everybody the sordid details of how I got myself into this mess. The bad news is, in my youth, I p****d my gun privileges down the toilet before I had any common sense. The good news is, I straightened up, lawyered up and got my rights restored this year. I am definitely not a lawyer myself. I immediately marched down to the sheriff's office and applied for my conceal carry permit. After day 30, no permit in the mail. I had attached my restore order to the application. Even though Washington is a shall issue state, I guess my circumstances were special in that the sheriff could decide that I am not fit to carry conceal. BUT, as it turns out, my permit got misplaced somewhere between the nice sheriff lady that processed my permit and the mail carrier. By the grace of God, I was issued one a few days later, and beautifully laminated to boot. That very same day I got a call from the local gun store saying that I was denied my purchase (a five shot snubby). They had run my background check through the local police and not the sheriff. The police ran it through NICS. Apparently NICS hadn't (hasn't) updated my file yet. So I thought I would wait a couple more weeks, try another gun store and just bypass the stupid 10 day waiting period using my conceal carry permit. I came back denied. The gun store clerk was really nice about it and told me it takes them time to update after a restoration. The first gun store kind of iced me out. I don't know if I will buy from them. As I understand it, prior to I594 I could of bought a pistol in a private sale, but now I have to wait until NICS updates my file. I have applied for a UPIN. Given my circumstances, I think a lot of people would want to think twice before selling me a gun. I don't really blame them. But through this journey I have learned a few things. First off: you can't just buy a gun off the internet. And no, I am not about to pay 100 dollars for a cheap burner from a gangbanger that has been used in how many liquor store hold ups. I have class and I am patient. I have my eyes set on several nice weapons. I have a family and home to protect. Secondly: if you have a suspician that our rights are being stripped by people who do not have our best interests at heart, you're right, they are. In surprising ways. I won't burden you with the "wake up sheeple!" lecture. Some of you know all too well. And lastly: I would implore you to get out and vote. Maybe I deserve my past to catch up with me, but my family does not. Neither does yours. If you think for a second that expanding background checks makes society safer, take it from me. I have seen just enough of the underworld to know that evil will get the means to destroy lives. Write your legislator, your senator and most importantly vote. Don't do it to influence my right to carry, do it for your's and every other decent American. We don't have to have to make it a race or religion thing today, but we need to support the second amendment now more than ever. So getting back to the subject if you had your rights denied and restored, I would like to hear how long it took before you could buy. I would like to update this thread when I have successfully made a purchase as well. (And yes, I have been clean as a whistle for a while now. It did cost money and a lot of time).

Alexx1401, coyotecaller and Stomper like this.
  2. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington

Good luck to you. I hope you get it all sorted out and find what you're looking for in a new shootin' iron.

:s0155:

3. Threetoesloth

Threetoesloth
    Washington

Thank you, I have high hopes.

Stomper and No_Regerts like this.
  4. WALawyer

WALawyer
    Tacoma, WA

Call WSP at 360-534-2000 option 5 and ask if your restoration has been received and processed and also ask them to make sure the FBI has the restoration on file as well. If your restoration has been processed by both WSP and the FBI and you're still getting denied, then there's something wrong that you specifically need to address.

Receiving a CPL but still being denied through NICS is extremely common. NICS is more thorough than local agencies, so they make pick up on something that the locals don't. Even misdemeanors from other states that are felonies under Washington law could be prohibiting you.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Ura-Ki, Slobray, MasterChief1 and 6 others like this.
  5. Threetoesloth

Threetoesloth
    Washington

Thank you for your thorough response and input. Hopefully this is ironed out soon. It is heartening to see folks in the law profession who stand up for second amendment rights. I am on it. Not sure if they will answer on a Sunday. Have an excellent day!

AndyinEverson likes this.
  6. Wayne

Wayne
    Near Tacoma

Why would a FFL run the check through the Police or Sheriff ? All my checks have been one call to NICS, not the Police or Sheriff .

Slobray and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. Threetoesloth

Threetoesloth
    Washington

I'm pretty sure that if you buy a pistol without a CPL, Washington is a point of contact state, meaning there is a 10 day wait and they route the background check through whatever local jurisdiction you fall under. With the CPL they just run a NICS check and keep your atf form on file. I'm sure somebody could correct me if I'm wrong.

AndyinEverson likes this.
  8. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

Americans (in general) love a good story of redemption. Welcome back! :s0155:

9. Threetoesloth

Threetoesloth
    Washington

Yes we do. Thanks brother

Stomper likes this.
  10. Wayne

Wayne
    Near Tacoma

Thanks,I guess that make sense, although the wait period pre I594 was 3 days, I think. I have always had my CPL and am one of those that has never had a wait or denied.

Threetoesloth likes this.
  11. WALawyer

WALawyer
    Tacoma, WA

This is correct.

AndyinEverson and Threetoesloth like this.
  12. coyotecaller

coyotecaller Active Member

I have an issued UPIN and still get put on hold periodically

13. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WA has had a wait for hand guns for several decades now. Can't remember when it went in. The "wait" is not really a set time as it's supposed to be. What it actually is, is the FFL has to tell your CLEO you want to buy a hand gun. The CLEO has to say OK. This is where the CPL comes in. With that they (FFL) skip this step. I have "heard" it's back to normal for this now. During the last great panic here in Pierce it got pretty bad. People were waiting a month or better as the department was swamped. One co worker went down to buy a new gun after he had applied for his CPL. The shop turned him away cash in hand. Told him just wait till the CPL because if you pay us now it will take at least a month before we get the OK to hand you the gun.
    Now I have "heard" this is not the way it's supposed to be here. Not being a lawyer don't know. Anyone who asks me about buying a hand gun here I always say just get the permit first. It just makes the buying so much easier it's worth it even if you don't want to carry.

14. bikemutt

bikemutt
    Renton

threetoesloth, it took guts to tell it like it is, patience is your friend.

15. IronMonster

IronMonster
    Free Idaho!
    Opinionated Member Bronze Vendor Lifetime Supporter

It took me over a year after I got my rights restored to be able to pass a NICS Check, Then after I got a couple proceeds, I started getting delayed and then got a deny. It took 18 months to fight the deny, at first they denied even my appeal but eventually I got that all turned around and started getting proceeds again then delays and then another deny. I think in total I maybe have got 5 deny's since my rights were restored, The most recent one was just a couple of months ago.

I have concealed carry cards in Oregon, Washington and Idaho and have bought a dozen NFA items since getting my rights back. Those all went fine. Since moving to Idaho my problems are mostly over since they accept an enhanced carry card in place of a NICS check. I just fill out the 4473 and off I go. I still would worry about buying something out of state as there is maybe a one in 4 chance I will get a deny.

I spent years and about $25,000 with various attorneys AFTER my rights were restored trying to get the FBI to update my records. I was never able to really get it sorted. After each long battle I was told everything was sorted and I was good to go only to get denied again. My attorney, whom I actually think is fantastic, wanted to sue the FBI on my behalf (on the grounds I was being denied my rights unjustly) and we went down that road for a while but after I moved I just couldn't see the benefit in spending the cash to sue when the carry card solved my problems.

SKrueger, Ura-Ki, Slobray and 2 others like this.
  16. Threetoesloth

Threetoesloth
    Washington

Wow! I am mortified to read this, but at least I might be able to get a couple of proceeds in there at some point? I mean I am not even a huge gun fanatic. I support the right to bear arms without infringement but I am just wanting to acquire a couple of nice pistols. I like bows and swords and that kind of stuff just as much. Reading your post made me think that our founding fathers are rolling in their graves. And you made Idaho that much more attractive. Pretty soon the entire west coast will be swallowed by LA/Hollywood anyways. And congratulations on getting your rights back. A whole year though... dang. I was hoping this week I would try again.

Alexx1401 likes this.
  17. Threetoesloth

Threetoesloth
    Washington

I'm glad I was issued the permit at least. I am less daunted to walk in and try and buy because the gun shop can see that I am least upstanding enough to get the permit and it's really just a NICS thing.

Alexx1401 likes this.
  18. Threetoesloth

Threetoesloth
    Washington

Thank you. This process has really taught me a new level of patience...

Alexx1401 likes this.
  19. WALawyer

WALawyer
    Tacoma, WA

A UPIN is not meant to prevent a delay, it's only meant to shorten the delay.

20. Threetoesloth

Threetoesloth
    Washington

Well everybody. It seems as though the NICS gods have denied me again today. And that's alright. I have started my campaign to write letters and have mailed some out already. If the system does not respond to intellect and reason (which this nation used to pride itself on, remember when NASA did actual science?) then I can say beyond a reasonable doubt that the system is unreasonable and reflects horribly on those who run it.