JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Naw. I've both practiced the use of gun with light in separate hand and used it in a home invasion emergency too. Its easy and natural. I had no trouble using it in an emergency. It slowed me down not at all. Admittedly the gun and flash were both on the nightstand so all I had to do was grab both. But if I were carrying at night my EDC would be holstered on my right side under a loose shirt or coat and the flash would be in my left pocket. So deploying both would be about as fast. Deploying gun from concealment is something I've practiced with an empty gun. The one time I had to do it for real it was so fast that the gun seemed to just appear in my hands the instant the robber started charging me.

If you practice with one hand from various positions and orientations, adding a light in the other hand is just a minor natural modification. My EDC is a revolver. I'm not figuring on reloading. If I can't solve the problem with six shots it will likely be because I'm already dead. If someone is grappling with and trying to kill me, admittedly I couldn't deploy light and gun in separate hands. However, the main reason you need a light is to identify the target and see if its an enemy. If someone has grabbed me and is hitting, kicking, choking, or trying to rape me or render me helpless I don't need a flashlight to tell if they are an enemy.

If one hand is tied up because you're grappling with an attacker and your semiauto jams, you aren't going to be able to clear the jam. And your semiautomatic is more likely to jam under such circumstances because your gripping will be different. No particular weapon with whatever accessories solves all problems and scenarios.
I'm glad it has worked out for you. I knew a guy that ran a J frame and an EDC light, and he was very well practiced with it. Certainly possible to train with that setup and get good with it. That being said, he used my G19 setup with WML a handful of times at the range and quickly decided to transition over to auto with WML.

But you bring up a really great point that often gets lost in these conversations: it really doesn't matter what the specific gear is, you have to train with it and get confident with it.

I hate two admit it, but I have 2 of the Olight PL2s that take cr123a. I literally keep one on the gun and one on the belt as a backup incase it dies. I bought them on sale for <$50.

I don't use a WML on my CCW and the pistol plays second fiddle to the rifle for home defense, so I wasn't willing to sink more $$ into it.

Cloud defensive is releasing a modular pistol light soon, I figure I'll wait for that. They are usually heavier than modlite but that's a good thing on a pistol. If that thing flops I'll get a surefire.

For CCw, right now, I would use a TLR7. But I think it's best to wait for the cloud defensive offering.

726E475C-064A-4120-810C-AC55B50BAA6C.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top