JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recommend listening to the podcast linked in the first post in that thread.

Excellent followup. @SunShineShan82 More good advice for you here--handguns aren't covered under 1639 but do have a "backdoor registration" and a similar HIPPAA-rights forfeiture.

Re SBR's, a better play is to build up an AR pistol so that you have it to tinker with and debug while you're waiting the year for ATF to approve your tax stamp, then swap on a rifle buffer-tube and stock after you get the stamp and have your lower engraved. If you're gonna play with NFA toys, though, it might be a good idea to look into an NFA Trust with a lawyer...
I'm really new to owning guns so it's better I go slow than rush into everything.

I'm really new to owning guns so it's better I go slow than rush into everything.
Smart call. :) A typical build for me is a year in planning, then another year in sourcing parts and construction--my girlfriend jokingly calls them "gun pregnancies" and likes to razz me about "what are we giving birth to this time and when's the due date."

NEVER get complacent with the 4 RULES.

VBOB 001.jpg

Please make sure that whatever firearm that you pick up, no matter who gave it to you or where it came from, please ALWAYS SAFETY CHECK it.

I highly recommend that you spend lots of quality time with your Smith. Racking the slide, dry firing, field striping. You need to get the "muscle memory" developed.

If you can find like minded women in your area to shoot with that would be great. :)

I will also say that when or if you get a concealed pistol license don't go straight for off-body carry (e.g. leaving it in your purse). There have been many tragedies because people have sat their bag down for just a moment and kid picks it up and finds the gun. A purse is also a theft target and if a thief has the element of surprise and yanks the purse away, the thief is now armed.

I never place my carry gun down for even a second, it is either holstered on my body or in its locked container. Too easy to get distracted and even one single mistake could cost someone their life.
Everyone has to decide which defensive posture is appropriate for them and their household, but it should get thorough thought and not be based on assumptions that kids will follow earlier lessons or obey parents' rules. 1639 also created some safe storage laws.

If you do decide to conceal carry. Hit me up. My wife has some unused, brand new, belly band under shirt holsters I'll send your way.

Smart call. :) A typical build for me is a year in planning, then another year in sourcing parts and construction--my girlfriend jokingly calls them "gun pregnancies" and likes to razz me about "what are we giving birth to this time and when's the due date."
That's a really cool way to look at it! Kudos to her!

I ended up getting a Smith and Wesson 380 and I took a basic handgun class tonight. Very helpful class and I found the one for rifles and I did it too. My S&W 380 will make a great addition to my shotgun.
@SunShineShan82 welcome to a new and fun sport. We all hope that you like it as much as we do. Some have been at it all their lives and some like me for just a few years. There are all kinds of threads on this forum but there are also many new ones out for women, new and longtimers, that deal with a women's perspective for apperral, training, group meetups etc.

I see you live in Belleview. I am sure there are places up nearer to you for training and for obtaining a carry license. Ask in your area and maybe someone from north of Seattle can direct you. There are tons of U-Tube videos on how to disassemble your pistol and shotgun. Learn to clean it and how it works. It makes it easier to ask questions. Ask lots of questions. If you don't know, ask questions.

Be safe and have fun!

@SunShineShan82 welcome to a new and fun sport. We all hope that you like it as much as we do. Some have been at it all their lives and some like me for just a few years. There are all kinds of threads on this forum but there are also many new ones out for women, new and longtimers, that deal with a women's perspective for apperral, training, group meetups etc.

I see you live in Belleview. I am sure there are places up nearer to you for training and for obtaining a carry license. Ask in your area and maybe someone from north of Seattle can direct you. There are tons of U-Tube videos on how to disassemble your pistol and shotgun. Learn to clean it and how it works. It makes it easier to ask questions. Ask lots of questions. If you don't know, ask questions.

Be safe and have fun!
Thanks! There is Wade's gun shop and range not to far from me that I went for the handgun class I took last night. It was really informative and i enjoyed it immensely. I honestly can't wait to get my handgun and practise with it. Today is actually Ladies Day where women can come in for free and get a lane but, I believe that gun and ammo rental isn't free.

But are they even open during this madness?
[/https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/coronavirus-notice.321067/

I highly recommend Seattle Firearms Academy in Mossyrock. Very good with new shooters/women. Classes are on hold, but you can't go wrong.
thats a 5 hour drive for me. I don't necessarily need a woman specific class as much as the basics in everything. I did do a basic handgun class but most ranges and classrooms are closed right now. If SHTF then I will just have to use the knowledge I have for protection.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top