JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Search "Sporting Systems 1639 Training" here. EDIT - Here ya go: Free 1639 training for WA residents #F1639

Personally, my standing advice to anyone who's willing to invest in tools and learning is to buy bare receivers/frames and build those, since for now they bypass 1639 and only need a Federal 4473. For the truly adventurous, 80% blanks and power tools are wonderful things... :)
Thanks very much!!!

You only need the training course to buy a semi automatic rifle. Not for semi auto pistol, not for manually operated rifle, not for any shotguns, not for AR lower receiver.
The wise thing to do is buy items now which may be banned in a year. Standard magazines, suppressor, and short-barreled rifle stamp (federal permission slip to put a <16" barrel on a rifle or overall length <26", ideal for defensive AR that won't be fired at long ranges).
Training is essential, and I definitely recommend Steve Shields at Cerberus. The hardware isn't much good for defense if the owner isn't proficient in using it.

You only need the training course to buy a semi automatic rifle. Not for semi auto pistol, not for manually operated rifle, not for any shotguns, not for AR lower receiver.
The wise thing to do is buy items now which may be banned in a year. Standard magazines, suppressor, and short-barreled rifle stamp (federal permission slip to put a <16" barrel on a rifle or overall length <26", ideal for defensive AR that won't be fired at long ranges).
Training is essential, and I definitely recommend Steve Shields at Cerberus. The hardware isn't much good for defense if the owner isn't proficient in using it.
Excellent followup. @SunShineShan82 More good advice for you here--handguns aren't covered under 1639 but do have a "backdoor registration" and a similar HIPPAA-rights forfeiture.

Re SBR's, a better play is to build up an AR pistol so that you have it to tinker with and debug while you're waiting the year for ATF to approve your tax stamp, then swap on a rifle buffer-tube and stock after you get the stamp and have your lower engraved. If you're gonna play with NFA toys, though, it might be a good idea to look into an NFA Trust with a lawyer...

Ah ok then I must have misunderstood what the guy at the shop was telling me.

There are many well-intentioned but misinformed people in the 2A community, both who work at gun shops and who don't. For example when I moved to WA I had multiple gun store employees tell me incorrect information, including that I could not buy or sell a gun until I had lived here 90 days.

There are many well-intentioned but misinformed people in the 2A community, both who work at gun shops and who don't. For example when I moved to WA I had multiple gun store employees tell me incorrect information, including that I could not buy or sell a gun until I had lived here 90 days.
Oh wow!

Don't know if you have a gun in mind, how about a caliber? If your pistol purchase is in the next few months, and you know what caliber you want, I'd suggest you start getting some soon before the CV19 dries up all the sources. You can save $$$ by getting it online.

I'd recommend going with 9mm.

Don't know if you have a gun in mind, how about a caliber? If your pistol purchase is in the next few months, and you know what caliber you want, I'd suggest you start getting some soon before the CV19 dries up all the sources. You can save $$$ by getting it online.

I'd recommend going with 9mm.
Yesterday I purchased a shotgun (my first gun) but I would like a handgun. I am not sure about caliber.

Check out the Smith and Wesson EZ Sheild... they come in .380 or 9mm. my wife is actually buying an ez9 one Tuesday. Very "EZ" to rack the slide, and a lot of saftey features. For a first handgun .380 isn't a bad option. Mild recoil.
. 9mm ammo is unobtainable right now thanks to Coronahorders... but .380 is still on the shelves(for now) and the .380ez is about $100 less than the 9mm.
Best bet is to go to a range that rents out pistols... try a few out to see what you like, and what you are comfortable with.

You mean like the person in this thread that said theres a year wait for a Form 1 SBR? Its only about a month right now.:cool:
Just ribbing you DB;)

Where do I go to do a course for pistol and rifle training course required for the purchase of either? I was told I needed to watch a video or something.

I'm not from WA but hear that Sporting Systems is the place to go for that need-to-do-to-buy course.

Once you've obtained your weapon(s) of choice, I would highly recommend that you get some formal training with it.

Check and see if @Cerberus Group has a class for you - he's about 3.5 hours away from you but it's a worthy cause.

Check out the Smith and Wesson EZ Sheild... they come in .380 or 9mm. my wife is actually buying an ez9 one Tuesday. Very "EZ" to rack the slide, and a lot of saftey features. For a first handgun .380 isn't a bad option. Mild recoil.
. 9mm ammo is unobtainable right now thanks to Coronahorders... but .380 is still on the shelves(for now) and the .380ez is about $100 less than the 9mm.
Best bet is to go to a range that rents out pistols... try a few out to see what you like, and what you are comfortable with.

We got plenty of 9mm in stock, ready for delivery.

I ended up getting a Smith and Wesson 380 and I took a basic handgun class tonight. Very helpful class and I found the one for rifles and I did it too. My S&W 380 will make a great addition to my shotgun.

I ended up getting a Smith and Wesson 380 and I took a basic handgun class tonight. Very helpful class and I found the one for rifles and I did it too. My S&W 380 will make a great addition to my shotgun.

Nice! I'd recommend that you get advice on defensive ammo, choose two or three, and buy small boxes of all of them to try out.

You want to know 100% that what you're feeding it will cycle reliably each and every shot.

I was looking at ammo just now and I don't know which kind to get for defense for the s&w 380. I'm waiting 10 days for it and I got the ammo used for in the range but I need to get the defense kind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top