JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, my lady finds cocking my SIG P226 tough to do, despite my suggesting a better technique, she struggles (but does manage) to get the slide back. OK, she's a weenie, but there's nothing I can do about that.

Question is, what do your ladies shoot that they find easy to work with? Semi's? Revolvers?

that's a tough one. my wife has weak hands (until she punches me) and has a hard time with pulling slides back and the trigger pull on the .38 spl revolver. I tell her her best weapon is just bubblegum (filter for the 'B' word) at the BG and they'll high tail it :s0114:

I took my lady to the gun shop to rack the slide on everthing in sight and she did best with the sig p250 in 9mm it has a light recoil spring and agressive cocking serrations, she also did well with the XD9 tactical, the S&W sigma, and the HK p2000 9mm.

Funny, been tinkering with the same problem. I went out and bought my wife a gun just for her...I bought her a Taurus Millenium Pro...but then she never carried it because she says it's "too heavy". Currently, she steals my Kel-Tec P3AT.

I've found that the best solution for women who can't handle slides is a revolver....nevertheless, women usually find the .38SPC a tad bit harsh on the recoil.

Solution? I plan on getting the wifey a .32 H&R mag, hammerless S&W 432PD Airweight to replace the Kel-Tec (mainly so I can have it back!).
163666_large.jpg

You should see GunBlast's review on it.

at one time I found a you tube type video of a gun show where a guy is teaching a lady that was new to shooting how to rack the slide on an auto loader. this is what he said as described for a right handed person:

hold the pistol in your right hand with your trigger finger along the side of the gun

hold the gun half way between your chest and full arm extension withthe gun pointed at the target

with your left hand grip the serrations with your fingers on the right side of the gun and your thumb pointed at your right shoulder

now move the gun to the target in a fluid motion and and quickly move you left thumb to your right shoulder you will have to let go with the left hand as the slide hits full retract.

the biggest problem with new shooters when racking the slide is trying to ride it back to lock up without pinching your skin this method eliminates that because you are only pulling back and letting the spring do it's job

my wife refuses to use steel framed semi-autos and any revolvers. She says the checkered engraved steel on the semi-autos is to rough on her hands (I know not all have that engraved but all mine do) and she hates revolvers because she was holding ti wrong once and it pinched her skin pretty hard so she said never again (not sure what she actually did as it has never happened to me)

But she loves poly frame semi-autos :)

I had a hard time with slides when I was new to shooting. Not because it was too hard, but because I wasn't comfortable with the weapon. Also, I am just so used to it now, and I use my arm, not just my wrist, especially on a heavy recoil-spring on a .357Sig chambered weapon.

I'll be buying my lady a Sig P232 eventually, when she has citizenship and can legally carry.

My girlfriend recently bought her first handgun. I let her try several of mine- various revolvers and centerfire pistols and she commented on the same thing- too difficult to rack the slide. But she liked the semiauto style of pistol. I suggested a 22lr version of a larger centerfire model. She settled on a sig mosquito 22lr. The slide on it is very easy to rack and the gun is very accurate. She loves it. She's now thinking of stepping up to a sig 239 9mm which mimmicks her mosquito, only larger. :s0155:

My wife prefers a .38 spl. snubby, J-frame. But, racking the slide of a semi-auto does not need to be difficult for anyone of any size.

Go to; <broken link removed>
About 3/4 of the way down on the page, click on the green "instruction" box.

On the right side of the new page, scroll down to the video link entitled; "racking a slide."

Gun Talk host Tom Gresham demonstrates a relatively easy way to work the slide of a semi-auto. It's a 3:09 minute free video.

My mom has used a S&W model 10 snubby for years, but I gave her my old keltec .32 (because it's smaller....and "cute"), and a S&W 442, because it is way lighter and smaller than the model 10 as well, plus it's rated for +P loads.

She doesn't shoot much, and doesn't know much about guns, so I tell her to use the 442 over the keltec, since it's as simple as it gets and as reliable as a gun can possibly be.

I'd recommend a J-frame snubby for anyone, man or woman, who's new to guns, or has problems racking a slide/remembering to switch off the safety, etc. They're about as perfect of CC gun as you could possibly ask for IMO. I still carry a keltec .32 though, but that's because the extra 5 ounces that a 442/642 weighs over a keltec is enough that I choose to go with a weaker caliber and less reliability.

...But, racking the slide of a semi-auto does not need to be difficult for anyone of any size.

Mostly agree, perhaps the only exception may be slide mounted safeties pistols, at least until you get used. But he P226 is not one of them!

I think that what "magnum" did was an excellent approach. Like CharlesAFerg said, when you are new to guns you are not comfortable with the weapon. Plus, your muscles and nerves are not accustomed, or trained to exert the forces required to operate a handgun. Notice I did not say developed, but trained. The strength is already there in most cases.

If she is not willing to dry run your P226 until she masters it, then, start her with a Mosquito or P22, then graduate her to your P226 or a P239, like "magnum" did.

My $0.022 (adjusted for inflation)

I had a hard time with slides when I was new to shooting. Not because it was too hard, but because I wasn't comfortable with the weapon. Also, I am just so used to it now, and I use my arm, not just my wrist, especially on a heavy recoil-spring on a .357Sig chambered weapon.

I'll be buying my lady a Sig P232 eventually, when she has citizenship and can legally carry.[/QUOTE]

I have found that that pistol is an excellent choice for the ladies. It fits their hand well, is dead nuts accurate at 50 feet and they can handle the slide with ease following some instruction. Plus its just one of the nicest looking pistols made.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top