JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any special cleaning tips? I generally run the brush down the barrel with a bit of cleaning solution first and then hit it with the cleaning squares and more solution and wipe down everything, brush the outside of the barrel with a soft brush and then wipe down everything with the square and solution. Then finally I apply oil to all the metal on the gun except the inside of the barrel and the firing pin. Does this sound like an adequate way to get the job done? for my revolver I just brush the barrel and revolver chambers, wipe down everything with solvent and then oil all metal surfaces minus the inside of the barrel and revolving chambers, and I don't put any oil on the hammer either.

One word:

Boresnake.

to qualify I own a bore snake for over 5 calibers...

that said it's not the best idea.. it does a so so job of cleaning and while it is better than nothing is not the best way to clean the gun...

you are doing it right, except you should buy a brass jag and use small cloth pads soaked in solvent (I like Hoppes 9) through the barrel several times until it comes out clean... helps prevent lead build up...

a bore snake is a good field tool and is intended for that reason.. it really doesn't clean anywhere near a jag...

you can prove this by running a jag through the barrel after you cleaned it with a boresnake... be amazed at how much still comes out..

I do it differently.

First, I run a few dry patches thru the bore to get the easy stuff rather than using solvent right away and making mud when I can simply sweep dirt. Then a well soaked patch into the bore and let that sit for awhile and let the solvent do its work on the most critical area. Then I swab the rest of the gun with solvent, tooth brush where I need to and let that sit a bit, before getting back to the bore.

Back to the bore, after a dry patch or two, I run a solvent soaked brush several times thru the bore and then follow that up with a series of dry patches on a jag until it is clean enough.

With an average cleaning I will wipe down the rest of the gun with a cloth and Q tips and be done with it. With a serious cleaning, after the wipe, I will then take a mild spary solvent and spray down or douche the rest of the parts and frame with the spray and then wipe down with clean rags. It is surprising how much black you get after you think you are clean. If I don't feel a heavy cleaning is needed, I skip this step.

If I shoot the piece regularly, I don't get too fastidious about it. If I plan to store the gun for awhile, I get pretty focused about clean, oiled and rustproofed.

I oil the bore. Especially for those guns to be stored and not carried. Before shooting, I patch wipe the bore to remove any residual oil. For carry pieces, I oil and then wipe then and there, leaving a very thin coat. Beyond the bore, I won't get into oil vs. grease and lube points and all that.

I don't use snakes, except as a field or range expedient. If I do, I wash them afterwards. I just don't think they're that great as a general cleaning tool compared to traditional methods. They're a quick and dirty method and appropriate sometimes but not most times. At least on most of my guns. Your attitude towards your guns is your business.

In terms of solvents, most are pretty good. I have my favorite, everyone else has theirs. They're all good enough. Same with oil and grease. It's not what you apply, its how you do so that matters.

For longer term storage where the potential of rust is a consideration, I am very particular with my product....I use Eezox.

The gun is going to outlive me, so I do not get too excited. I use a boresnake at range when I finish shooting (as noted above it gets the loose dirt out). When I get home I fiels strip, use #9, the wipe dry and apply RemOil to all surfaces, including inside bore and cylinder chambers. A quick and easy cleaning works for me.

I bore snake each gun before I leave the range then when I get home I typically completly strip my plastic guns and use Gun Butter (Frog Lube is in the mail) to lube after cleaning.
You don't have to completly strip and clean but I am anal about how clean I want my firearms.

Hi All,
I just use Simple Green Cleaner and tooth brush. Wash off with water, Bake in over at 200* for half hour or use hair dryer. Place some oil on wipe off. I use Brake Free on it. You need to take the gun apart all the way.
Hope this helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Can you really clean your glock with water? I recall the FA Glock thread here that lead me to watching a vid of a guy cleaning his glock in a creek with his shower brush. then he shakes off extra water, reassembles it and "bump fires" it like a mad man.

So.. Fact or Fiction? Is he just a tard trying to look like he got skillz or is this really something you can safely do without destroying your pistol? Or glocks only?

I used to always clean my glocks in hot soapy water using a couple of nylon brushes. Probably not the best solution but it was fast and easy. 10 years or so of moderate use they were no worse for wear. One of the reasons I bought the things in the first place is they did not rust, so I just figured why not.

I don't do it that way anymore, although I would in a pinch.

Can you really clean your glock with water? I recall the FA Glock thread here that lead me to watching a vid of a guy cleaning his glock in a creek with his shower brush. then he shakes off extra water, reassembles it and "bump fires" it like a mad man.

So.. Fact or Fiction? Is he just a tard trying to look like he got skillz or is this really something you can safely do without destroying your pistol? Or glocks only?

thats the way to do it clean it then bump fire it :confused: why clean it in the first place

I don't clean a pistol every range visit. Probably clean after 600 rounds or more. Bullseye shooters do not clean guns very often either. I would make an exception for
a carry gun. The only other thing I would add is using a rod with the cone shaped piece to protect the crown of a gun you have to clean from the muzzle end. Like a
revolver. Many firearms were damaged by cleaning them with steel rods from the muzzle. Like M1 Garands. If the crown of a barrel is damaged or worn it destroys accuracy.
Always clean from the breach if possible.

I just recently got a glock 17 and i have heard of cleaning them in the dishwasher but i thought that was a joke lol

It isn't a joke for those that don't like Glocks.
They take down so easy that cleaning is a breeze. I joke about it and sometimes don't clean them for a couple days after a shoot. But then i set down and take all the guns from the last shoot and tear 'em apart and wipe and brush and stuff rags through the barrel and wipe and brush

You get the point.

Now shot guns suck if you hunt around salt water. Then you need to take it down and at the least spray every nook and cranny while you are still dripping with rain and salt breeze.
Then disassemble and spray some more.

Problem with not cleaning now is that the quality control isn't as good as it once was. Some times the metal is perfect and sometimes it isn't.

Shooting speed steel with 10/22s or 22/45s require cleaning after every match (round count of about 150). 22LR is dirty and a jam can seriously mess up a string. Getting pretty fast at at it now since I have 2 junior shooters going to the matches with me.

Shooting speed steel with 10/22s or 22/45s require cleaning after every match (round count of about 150). 22LR is dirty and a jam can seriously mess up a string. Getting pretty fast at at it now since I have 2 junior shooters going to the matches with me.

I just picked up a Ruger MKIII and notice that thing gets dirty quick and it's kinda of a pain in the butt to clean because it is so small.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top