JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The same things could be said for modern rifle caliber carbines as well...

I think the new scout-rifle concepts by Ruger, Mossberg, Savage, etc. are dead-sexy!

MOSSBERG-MVP-COYOTE.jpg

110-scout-308_4.jpg

ruger-scout-450-bushmaster-6838-7.png

a couple years ago on the rimfire central site, some guy had built replicas of all the WW2 hand carried machine guns....using the 10/22 action as the functional firing mechanism, with various cosmetic additions that were close approximation enough to make them virtual little clones. Identifiable models were from around the world despite all sharing same basic action.

Perhaps overly cute in the same way a puppy is cuter than the old dog, his diligence to at-least obvious visual details, was impressive.

That SBR Colt 9mmP is down-right purdy... I would prefer a 12" barrel, but as it stands it looks mighty fine! As far as the m16, it has no looks issues, it's just fine as it was designed by Stoner and the A1 should lose the god-awful forward assist which serves no real purpose that I can see...
The IMI Uzi, tho outmoded (they say), is a righteous looking and handling sub-gun. The H&K 94 looks pretty sharp too, as does IMO the M1 carbine in the folding stock "paratrooper" version...:s0015:

Though a fan of pistol-caliber carbines, I kind of have to agree with the OP. At lot of the new ones look and/or handle like crap. (A couple weeks ago I had a Hi-Point carbine come in for a NICS check/transfer and I, literally, wouldn't accept one for free as it would take up space in the gun cabinet. I was more than happy to handle the background check and paperwork for a fee though.)

Granted, of the PCCs we have in the battery now, only one is a semi-auto (SBRed/suppressed vz 61 Škorpion in 7.65x17㎜) and the rest lever-guns in .357 and .44 Magnum. No real reason why other than they work for our purposes.

I wish they'd bring back the Camp-45 and, well, it wasn't a pile. I had one for about a minute before it self-destructed in the form of the stock going to pieces. Good concept (M1 Carbine-esque handling, .45 ACP, feeds from 1911 magazines), but crap execution.

Ditto the AO M1 Carbine. Neat idea (newly manufactured M1 Carbine), but dumpster-fire result with the NIB specimen we acquired.

I'll admit the now discontinued Ruger Deerfield in .44 Magnum looks interesting. I just haven't been able to justify buying one and, for the matter, it is exceedingly rare I see them on the used market. If Ruger ever brought them back, either tube or box magazine fed, I'd be interested.

As @AndyinEverson mentioned above, a sort of modernized M1 Carbine in a pistol caliber would be nice. Alas, I doubt there would be enough market for them for a big outfit to do so.

Anyway, to each their own. :)

To understand pistol-caliber carbines we have to learn where did the concept come from.
IMO, PCCs gained their popularity mostly during the WWII, when tactics have being changed, and long-range rifles became less useful, and Armed Forces started looking for low-cost, lightweight, maneuverable, QC/mid-range, select-fire firearms with high capacity detachable magazines.
We, also, may see some early signs of this tendency in so-called cavalry carbines - basically shortened and lightened models of Lee-Enfield, Mosin-Nagant, Mauser K98, Arisaka, etc.

Last Edited:
my PCC 9 has been ridiculously reliable...eats everything without a burp, cleans up in minutes, strips down in seconds. Pretty much what I used to look for in women as a younger buck..

Is it as sexy as the pristine officer carried Korean War era M1 carbine I had to sell 40 years ago when bills were mounting up with my first kid on the way? Hell no...all good, however, as these days that carbine would be spending birthdays in the safe, whereas my PCC is riding around in the truck underneath the dog hair and fishing rods..

To understand pistol-caliber carbines we have to learn where did the concept come from.
IMO, PCCs gained their popularity mostly during the WWII, when tactics have being changed, and long-range rifles became less useful, and Armed Forces started looking for low-cost, lightweight, maneuverable, QC/mig-range, select-fire firearms with high capacity detachable magazines.
We, also, may see some early signs of this tendency in so-called cavalry carbines - basically shortened and lightened models of Lee-Enfield, Mosin-Nagant, Mauser K98, Arisaka, etc.

Those were was sub machine guns not PCC

Interesting indeed. I wonder how they run?
Not the greatest. It's not gas operated like a true M1 Carbine. Just blowback with a huge chunk of steel under the barrel to act as the buffer. The one I shot was having a lot of problems with failures to eject. The trigger was like 12-14 pounds. As well as the action being incredibly heavy to manually manipulate. That huge chunk of metal they use to slow the bolt down whacks the receiver very hard and it is a very snappy rifle due to the blowback recoil impulse.

They may have improved them since then, but I wasn't overly impressed with it.

I agree with the original post. Most PCCs look goofy. They're trying hard to make the market stick.

The KelTec Sub2k looks cool to me, but with a stated service life of 5k-6k rounds, I can't justify buying one.

All other PCCs have gigantism or something. As in they were designed for a larger cartridge then chambered for something smaller. Or the designers were trying too hard.

The KelTec Sub2k looks cool to me, but with a stated service life of 5k-6k rounds, I can't justify buying one.
I bought a Gen 1 S2K somewhat impulsively several years ago. (great FTF deal)
While it shot and cycled well there were many things time was beginning to reveal I did not like.
One was the difficulty to break down and reassemble and I learned later KT does NOT recommend this.
I could also see issues with the potential of plastic parts breaking and possibly stripping the front sight blade screws. Another revelation was the epoxied barrel issue which a pin modification was later developed and recommended.
The service life of 5k-6k rounds was an issue also.
I sold it - quickly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads