JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
they do use a different bolt/carrier arrangement, lacking the gas pressure to operate the system. I have heard of ones using glock/modified sten/uzi/proprietary mags. I think there are some expensive uppers using 7.62x25 that are gas operated. Trying to adapt a system that was never originally intended to operate as a blowback pistol caliber gun can be problematic. All I can tell you is some work well, some don't.

standard stripped uppers and lowers will work, the big differences are the bolt, carrier, barrel (of course), magazines

I am leaning toward another ar pistol in 762x39

my last 223 pistol build was around 800, ought to do a basic for 600-700

I got a Colt 6450. 9mm. If you are gonna build a 9mm AR, you might as well get one built and tuned in, by Colt. Once you add up all the seperate components, mag block, buffer, mags, ect, you can buy a built one for cheaper. I see no need to flat top it or rail it out. It is a lightweight, low drag, up close carbine. Iron sights are fine. No optics needed. Dead on at 50yds, and runs like a champ on Colt and C-prod 32rd mags. 9mm is much quieter than .223 with a can. It is more practical for small varmint control, around the yard, where .223 would be too much. If I was facing a serious threat, then .223 is better obviously. It is cool to train with 9mm, on the same platform as your .223. That's why I like 9mm AR.

I've owned and had to fix, or rebuild too many Olympic products, so that's why I stear clear of the Oly pistol cal uppers. Rock river might be good too. For the same price get a Colt.

howdy

i'm thinking about building a pistol caliber AR, looking for some info from those of you who happen to have some advanced knowledge

my background is in 223/556 ARs- i've been building, armoring, and shooting this platform for over a decade, including professionally at times.. my working knowledge is very strong. but take my outside that realm, and i know basically nothing.

I see you have lots of random answers on stuff so let me see if I can help you out.

First off there are 2 main styles of pistol caliber AR's and they are different systems with the Colt style being more common and the the Olympic Arms style (my preference).

With the Colt stye the mag inserts from the middle of the mag well and the ejector is built into the lower (or the mag block). The Colt style feeds from double stack double feed style mags. I am aware of 3 main styles of "mag blocks" first is the pinned in style like the original Colt. Then there is basically the same thing but it is not pinned in. These use Colt mags or modified Uzi mags and use the standard mag release. There is also one that uses unmodified Uzi mags but the mag release is moved to the bottom of the block and is a paddle style.

On the OA style guns the mags feed from the front of the mag well and the ejector is in the upper. The original style mags that OA used (9mm) were Sten mags which are a double stack, single feed. OA used a block welded on the back of the mag and notched to use the standard mag release (this is the same set up on the the .40 and .45 but use Uzi mags). OA also used a mag block that was held in place with the standard mag release and pressure and the mag release became a paddle. Of course the new OA guns are using a custom lower that takes Glock 9mm/.40 mags.

i DO know that pistol caliber ARs are blowback, and at least the 9mm models require either a dedicated hammer or a ramped carrier.. that thats about it.

That is a Colt style thing that requires a different hammer, but I am not sure why as I have an OA style gun.

so.. some questions:

-WHY do 9mm ARs require one of these mods? Not all do
-do other pistol calibers require those mods? All pistol calibers work the same as long as they are in the same style of gun.
-do 9mms use dedicated bolts, or does the standard 556 bolt work? They use dedicated bolts due to the fact they are blow back and don't rotate and lock
-what's availability of internal parts like for other pistol calibers? Not sure what you mean here. Like any other caliber change you will have to change bolt and barrel
-why do 9mm uppers have modified port doors and big, hideous brass deflectors? That is a Colt thing again. The OA does not use that.
-do other pistol calibers require this mod?
-is the upper modded in other ways, or will a standard forged AR upper work? On the OA just adding an ejector. On the Colt it would be the ejection port.
-can 9mm conversions be made to accept glock mags? I have not seen an adapter like that. OA makes a lower, and MGI makes a lower that with interchangeable mag wells.

I have had an OA Glock version for about 4 years now and about 4k though it and love it.

Here is how they look originally,

DSC04510.jpg

Here is how it currently looks,

DSC_0010.jpg

Here is one pic of the lower,

DSC04835.jpg

Here is one pic of the upper showing the ejector,

DSC04853.jpg

If you need more pics I have a few more of the internals but didn't want to put too many pics up.

the ability to swap mags between pistol and carbine is, in my opinion and for my intended purposes, too good to pass up. i've never been a fan of olyarms, but it looks like they've got the winning configuration for 9mms. thanks for posting that. do you always run suppressed? how's reliability, and does suppression change it?

I have been very happy with this gun. I fired about 500 rounds though this gun with the stock upper on it when I first had it. I only had 2 failures and that was when I was trying to bump fire it, so not the guns fault. Since there is no SBR in WA I had an SRT integral suppressed upper built for it out of a pistol upper. Since then I have only shot it with the suppressor which has been about 3500 rounds. Other then the initial working up of a SS load (there were several failures) no failures come to mind.

When I bought the gun I also ordered a few more parts like ejector, extractors, ect that are specific to this gun. So far none are showing any signs of major wear. I was afraid of the way the ejector is built. Just FYI this is how all the OA pistol calibers are built not just the 9mm as far as ejector and feed position. OA is also now making polymer mags that fit in a standard mag well but still feed from the front. There are mixed reviews on how well they work.

I had not seen the LWD lower till you posted it. I know they make/sell quality stuff and that one is set up for the Colt style parts. It would be interesting to know if you needed to do any mods to the upper since all the Colt style systems feed from a double feed mag where the Glock is a single feed mag.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top