JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've decided to build up a .40 AR. I'm loathe to add a new calibre to our extant group so .223 is right out. I've seen that the .40 is a relatively new 'thing' in the AR world but I've got my heart set on one so that the fam can become familiar with the rifle. It helps that I can load a few thousands rounds a week to blast away with.

So I'm looking for any members who have their AR chambered in any form of pistol calibre to give me the pros and cons of this type of configuration. I've never actually laid a finger on an AR but have read a fair bit on their form and function.

If you want a .40cal carbine, as much as I love my AR, I'd go elsewhere. Pistol cal's can work great with the AR, but their are other designs out there that were designed with intent of this configuration.
Ok still want an AR- I built a 9mm SBR. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND FIND OUT WHAT SYSTEMS/COMPONENTS/ETC work together for the build you want. EX: When I built my 9mm all sorts of people were having feed issues. I read and read and read- and roughly the same info kept coming up as to how to setup the magblock I was using to have run the best. I followed this advice and my gun has ran the CP metal mags and the POS promag mags all with no issues.
They make for awesome soft shooting guns. I don't know who's doing what with .40 AR stuff now so cons will be parts and mag availability.

Have a Colt 9MM and an Olympic Arms 45.. your primary concern should be reliability and what mags are going to cost you. .40 is fine but look at mag costs first

If you have an AR15 in 5.56 I would buy a .22LR conversion, first. I have the US Army conversions and the original 10 rd mag inserts as well as Black Dog 25 rd mags

Think about it.. you get a full powered 5.56 as well as a reload free, brass pickup free, cheap plinker that way, both in one rifle

I have the Olympic Arms 9mm carbine that takes Glock magazines. Definitely the way to go.

Here is a good source of some conversion parts too:

AR-15 - Hahn Precision

Only problem with those is you are stuck with that caliber and mag, forever.. their conversions (Like my 45 ACP) are my preference, as I can put them right on a standard AR15 lower that I already possess, no paperwork required

Minstrel,

I've owned several in various calibers. What will this do that a .40 cal Glock 22 won't? If its the rifle format that you need, get the Beretta or the Keltec. AR platform pistol uppers are fine as such, but if you don't own the platform already I would encourage you to look elsewhere. Ruger made a fine carbine as well, you can still find those around used as well. Rugged as heck and takes readily available magazines. There is no advantage to the platform if it's the only one you intend to own. But if you insist, get a Colt style action like Rock River uses. +1 for Hahn parts as well.

Nubus

If you have an AR15 in 5.56...

Nope. Closest thing I have is a Magpul AFG on my PSL. Starting from scratch and don't want the .223 in my ammo stores. We have 5 calibres already and I don't want 6 or have to get the reloading components for it.

I've seen that there's a new dedicated .40 coming out this fall...think it's Oly, not sure.

The primary reason I want this is to familiarise myself with the AR platform and not have to add that new round to what we already purchase/store. I've read a little about the <broken link removed>
but haven't actually seen any reports from an owner of one. I like the flexibility of being able to use those 33rd Glock mags.

So I already know what I want, won't be dissuaded, and am pretty much seeking stories of trials and tribulations from owners of pistol cal. ARs. Pretty much.

I view my Olympic Arms K9-GL as a dedicated 9mm carbine, not as a modified AR. It replaced a Beretta Storm that I had. I love the Glock magazine capability and it is a fun gun to shoot. Certainly a bit pricier than other similar carbines but less than some. I always wanted an HK94 but now they're too expensive, and the magazines are expensive too.

I can't imagine being a prepper (I think you are?) and not having a 5.56 of some kind, it's the most common rifle caliber in the USA and is the USGI standard anti personnel round. The .22LR is a must for preppers as well

We have 3 Glock 40s but I am not tempted to buy the dedicated OAs Glock mag carbine. May some day build an HK roller locked MP5 in 40

Only problem with those is you are stuck with that caliber and mag, forever.. their conversions (Like my 45 ACP) are my preference, as I can put them right on a standard AR15 lower that I already possess, no paperwork required

But when a new AR lower can be had for under $100 is that really an issue? You would have to change out all the other parts to make one of these into another caliber anyhow which is a way higher cost.

But when a new AR lower can be had for under $100 is that really an issue? You would have to change out all the other parts to make one of these into another caliber anyhow which is a way higher cost.

Yes, three good reasons

1) No paperwork caliber change

2) One lower/two weapon types can easily be packed in the field, one matches your pistol

3) If a new ban comes you can switch calibers with your existing pre ban lower

I do not change any other lower parts when a OAs pistol caliber upper is on the 5.56 lower, fully compatible

I have many 9mm rifles but by far one of my favorites is my GL-9 with an SRT integral suppressed upper.

DSC_0010.jpg

Or get a .22 AR to plink with. May I suggest, the M&P 15-22. $440, tons of fun, and is basically an AR built fully for 22's. All the controls are there aside from the gas stuff and it's quite reliable/accurate for a .22. Oh, and costs next to nothing to operate and get lots of practice with. You can add most AR accessories to it.

Because the .223 generally isn't a "mule kick" cartridge it shouldn't throw you off bad when switching guns. And most of your training (especially if looking for a pistol caliber one) will be happening at <100yds so range also shouldn't be a huge issue.

i see you just want to familiarize with the AR platform...

9mm is a much more common caliber and cheaper.... don't know if you already have 9mm, but since they are more common, mags and parts are cheaper...

I guess since we are talking about AR's in general now the one I shoot far more then any of my others is my .22 AR.

CMMG dedicated upper, Spikes lower, CMR scope,

DSC_0004-4.jpg

Lone Wolf "says" they are coming out with some pistol caliber ARs,which will use Glock mags.(I want the 10mm,myself)
Can you get 22lr conversions for the dedicated pistol lowers?

Lone Wolf "says" they are coming out with some pistol caliber ARs,which will use Glock mags.(I want the 10mm,myself)
Can you get 22lr conversions for the dedicated pistol lowers?

Well there is no dedicated "pistol caliber lowers" there are Magazine dedicated lower. So unless someone makes a mag that fits in a pistol mag well it is unlikely.

I guess someone might be able to make one that takes the .22 Glock mags but the 10 rd mags would be kinda limited....

Well there is no dedicated "pistol caliber lowers" there are Magazine dedicated lower. So unless someone makes a mag that fits in a pistol mag well it is unlikely.

<broken link removed>

That somewhat disagrees with you. Yes it is a dedicated 'pistol mag' lower. I think you're talking semantics at that point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top