JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1/13/2023
Shoot I submitted 1/14.

Hope I did this right.

164E9E0E-B5CB-4112-97E7-873EEC5B06E3.jpeg

IIRC they said they were SBS in the FAQ / rule change that started this thread
From the reddit thread:

Below is the response I received from the ATF when asking about the new ruling and how it affects the Mossberg Shockwave.

Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Firearms Industry Programs Branch (FIPB). This is in response to your email, in which you inquired whether final rule 2021R-08F affects the "firearm" status of the Mossberg Shockwave with a stabilizing arm brace. In your message, you stated that you want to confirm that the Mossberg Shockwave does not become a short barreled shotgun under the new rules.

The final rule only applies to "rifles" and its amended definition which now states clearly that the term "designed, redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder" includes a weapon that is equipped with an accessory, component, or other rearward attachment (e.g., a "stabilizing brace"), that provides surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder, provided other factors (as described in the rule) indicate the weapon is designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder.

The final rule does not apply to firearm configurations other than rifles, thus you would not need to register a Mossberg Shockwave. The design of the Shockwave does not have a rifled bore, and therefore is not a rifle. If the firearm cannot be a rifle, then it cannot be a short-barreled rifle. These firearms cannot be pistols, because by definition, a pistol is designed to be fired with one hand. These firearms are not shotguns, because they are not designed to be fired from the shoulder. Therefore, The Mossberg Shockwave is categorized as "other" firearms. Again, this firearm design is not impacted by final ruling 2021R-08F and no NFA registration is required at this time.

From the reddit thread:
The forum quote function failed me, this was the part I was replying to:

The Heretic said:
And it isn't just pistol braces either - it is also braces for "firearms" (Mossberg Shockwave), which they are now calling "pistol grip shotguns" even though legally they are not shotguns. These too are a "loophole" that the ATF has said are legal - how long before they go after these as SBSes?

So Shockwave with pistol grip = what the ATF guy said, Shockwave with "brace" = SBS

The forum quote function failed me, this was the part I was replying to:

The Heretic said:
And it isn't just pistol braces either - it is also braces for "firearms" (Mossberg Shockwave), which they are now calling "pistol grip shotguns" even though legally they are not shotguns. These too are a "loophole" that the ATF has said are legal - how long before they go after these as SBSes?

So Shockwave with pistol grip = what the ATF guy said, Shockwave with "brace" = SBS
I am hoping I was wrong when I posted that. Per the Reddit thread, it seems I was.

That said, given how the ATF changes their policy/rule/regs based on the whim of the POTUS (both Trump & Biden), and given that they stated in the proposed rule that the Shockwave/et. al. with a brace were SBS and other things they stated, I would not be surprised if these "firearms" are on their list of things to address in the near future.

It is quite probable (IMO) that they just did not want to muddy the waters any more than they already have with regards to braces.

So is there a definitive answer as to whether the SBR/pistol has to remain in that configuration or can you slap a stock on there?

Sorry if this has been discussed in the 81 previous pages, don't see why not but also I would like to believe the AFT would be hip to that.

So is there a definitive answer as to whether the SBR/pistol has to remain in that configuration or can you slap a stock on there?

Sorry if this has been discussed in the 81 previous pages, don't see why not but also I would like to believe the AFT would be hip to that.
Yes stock vertical grip etc all are ok once it's approved.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top