JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suspect that the new ruling about sharing or shooting someone else's gun is based on gang members sharing firearms. We are being treated like criminals while the real criminals don't care about the law. It's another attempt at virtue signaling by the left.

Remove brace, don't file for stamp; end up getting screwed because firearm have the following items

A weight, length similar to the smallest legal rifle that's not a SBR (16" AR15 M4gery)

Rifle style sights as opposed to red dot sight/ghost rings

A length of "pull" that's similar/"consistent" with a rifle (M4/Commando/Uzi/etc) even if you're using a sling or a cheek rest and the tube doesn't contact shoulder

A buffer tube that while necessary for operation, has "enough" surface area (undefined :rolleyes: )to "shoulder"

It was marketed as a large pistol with a brace

YouTube idiots demonstrating how to fire one without a stock but still cheek welding or using sternum or push-pull sling method ("its consistent with shouldering a rifle" :rolleyes: )
In terms of similar length and weight, let's say you had an ar15 pistol and you remove the brace off the buffer tube and you don't file for a stamp. It would still have similar length and weight as an sbr (ie an identical gun with the brace installed). That alone could be used to say it's an sbr without the brace. From the definitions page (page 288):

928283F8-8DE3-42A8-B144-AADCAE232430.jpeg

That is just one of the criteria they could use, surface area, sights, YouTube videos, marketing etc could also be used like you said.

Basically they can call anything they want an illegal sbr if anything protrudes from the back of the pistol, including just a pistol buffer tube. Their "criteria" are a complete joke and let them say they have justification to confiscate, imprison owner, whatever for any pistol they want that has a protrusion on the back.

My 6.5 Grendel firearm is physically similar in size to a Colt Commando/XM177 and those are definitely SBR :rolleyes: even with brace removed, if I remove the buffer tube itself and spend the $350+ for one of those bufferless systems end caps.... because of the XM177 size, it could still be called an " unregistered SBR" if the Final Rule is allowed to go in effect and published on the Federal Register. So that leaves two realistic safest options...

Register it.

Convert it to 16" (pin and weld a 4.5+" 5/8-24 muzzle device)

Other options;

Destroy entire firearm

Turn in

My 6.5 Grendel firearm is physically similar in size to a Colt Commando/XM177 and those are definitely SBR :rolleyes: even with brace removed, if I remove the buffer tube itself and spend the $350+ for one of those bufferless systems end caps.... because of the XM177 size, it could still be called an " unregistered SBR" if the Final Rule is allowed to go in effect and published on the Federal Register. So that leaves two realistic safest options...

Register it.

Convert it to 16" (pin and weld a 4.5+" 5/8-24 muzzle device)

Other options;

Destroy entire firearm

Turn in
Another option is wait to see if there is an injunction or other.

Waiting carries the risk of losing out on the free stamp, but you could always sbr it in the future and pay the $200 stamp. Not suggesting to do that, just adding the option to the list. On the other hand if there is an injunction or if it's overturned than one wouldn't have to register it as an sbr, which has certain benefits. Pros and cons to everything and depends on what's important to each person. Fe do they value saving $200 really high? Do they value not getting the gun on nfa register really high? Etc.

So basically my current information, I'll have to add to the lower when I get stamp or have to add it now or what..?
You can add it before you get the stamp.
You can add it once the stamp is approved.

Your first and last name.
Your city and state.

On the serialized portion of the firearm.

So basically my current information, I'll have to add to the lower when I get stamp or have to add it now or what..?
I see final rule (in addition to the faq posted above) states that private persons and regular ffls don't have to add new markings unless it's a personally made firearm. I assume "personally made firearm" means a gun with no current markings like 80%.

BD8BB619-C096-42A1-9007-68D39DBD1DF0.jpeg DDBE3EB0-CAD6-4726-963E-61214E8E13C4.jpeg 9892115D-F5BF-45AA-8920-801E634459A5.jpeg

I see final rule (in addition to the faq posted above) states that private persons and regular ffls don't have to add new markings unless it's a personally made firearm. I assume "personally made firearm" means a gun with no current markings like 80%.

View attachment 1352638 View attachment 1352639 View attachment 1352640
It says you can adopt the existing markings for serial numbers etc. You can. Like usual. It doesn't say you dont have to mark the receiver with your makers markings. It does say you have to mark the makers marks on the actual form 1. Like usual.

View attachment 1352638 View attachment 1352639 View attachment 1352640

Standard $200 Form 1, yes. Amnesty (tax free) Form 1, no. I think that answers what you're asking.
It seems that tax exempt forms still ask if you are "making a SBR"?

Edit. As far as I know, the form does say to enter serialized portions markings if you are "adopting makers markings"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top