JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was looking into getting an ar 15 pistol, and read before that the atf said it was ok to shoulder the hand brace before. Now looking into it not sure if its true or not they said its not ok to shoulder the hand brace.

Anyone know if there was an update on this?

I don't know the official answer to your question but I will say this:

I have never shot any of my many AR pistols un-shouldered ever (okay maybe I tried it out of curiosity). I have always shouldered them when shooting at indoor or outdoor ranges, in public and/or in private. I've never seen or heard of it being an issue. It's actually probably safer to shoot them shouldered as it lends to better control of the AR pistol.

So I saw this brace and thought I would post it here since there really isnt a "post your brace" thread.

Tailhook-Pistol-Brace-Image.jpg

I like the idea! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never heard of such a thing; I've always considered the butt to be a hammer more than a brace.

Two operations for the butt stock in FM 21-150 "Combatives"

Butt Stroke & Smash

The one pictured doesn't look like it can hold up to hand to hand combat...

But hey, all weapons aren't for combat are they....:D

Not sure what the current status of the "Tailhook" listed above, but a friend had one of the new versions on order for several months, but finally canceled when they kept pushing back the delivery date.

The general belief right now is that a Sig brace or Kak Brace does not turn pistol into a rifle.

The lower needs to be originally registered as a pistol, not converted to a shorter version of what was originally a rifle.

Don't put a vertical front grip on it; that will put it over the line. angled front grips or hand stops are OK.

I have 2 AR pistols with KAK braces. In my experience, if shot with both hands, resting the stock on my cheek is better than 'shouldering' it. Depending on your optic and its location, if you shoulder it, it can put your face too close to the optic.

I have considered a Thorsden cheek pad for this reason, but since I already have 2 Kak braces, I don't feel the need to change them.

If you were local I would have let you shoot mine.
20171226_141747cw8.jpg

The lower needs to be originally registered as a pistol, not converted to a shorter version of what was originally a rifle.

It needs to start/assembled/manufactured/sold as a pistol.

How that happens depends on how you put it together or what you buy it as. Whether it gets registered (officially or de-facto) or sold as a pistol from an FFL depends on who and where you buy it from. Eighty percent lowers should be marked as a 'pistol' but legally all you really need to do is claim that you first assembled it as a pistol (the gov. then needs to prove you did not, which would be hard to do).

Stripped Lowers dont get sold as "pistols" . They get sold as "other". If you have a dealer that will transfer it to you as a pistol and it isnt barreled as a pistol he is doing it wrong and will get slammed at audit time and potentially get levied a build excise tax..

Last Edited:
Thank you guys for the info and reply's.

I was thinking of buying or building one but wanted to double check info before doing so.

That stock looks cool I agree but like said above the price is a deal killer.

Thanks for the offer to try one of your pistols that would've been a blast I'm sure, but unfortunately I am not local.

I really like the look for the SIG ar pistol but I don't like the price.

Jp

I picked up the SB Tactical PDW arm brace last weekend from Curt's for $230. Kind of expensive for a brace but quality and functionality totally worth it over going the SBR route...

I put this together for $1,100 including the optic. I overpaid for some stuff too because I got it from Cabelas since I had a bunch of gift cards there.

View attachment 422419

Very nice! :s0155:

The only way an AR-15 interested me was as an SBR.
A pistol with a brace gave me all I wanted out of the platform.
With one possible exception. A collapsing brace like keeseckb has on his pistol would be nice. Too bad they are so expensive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top