JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are they both interchangeable legality wise? Like say I want to conceal an AR pistol in a bag. Would that still fall under the law with a valid CHL? Thanks
Certainly think so. That is how it is here in WA. A hand gun is a hand gun. If I buy an AR that is sold to me as a handgun and I have to do the check as me buying a hand gun, then it's allowed on my permit (CPL). So unless the OR carry permit has some restrictions? If so have never heard it mentioned. Sure someone here who lives in OR can give a more certain answer. Do you have an OR carry permit? I would have to guess the department who issues them would have some info on their site?

I have my Oregon CHL and Utah cfp. I was thinking it would be okay as well. But the law always has grey areas that aren't in favor to us law abiding citizens unfortunately

I don't know?

A revolver is a handgun. But it's certainly not a pistol.

Thank goodness! Finally, someone else who understands the difference between a revolver and a pistol. Calling a revolver a pistol is as incorrect as calling a magazine a clip.

Thank goodness! Finally, someone else who understands the difference between a revolver and a pistol. Calling a revolver a pistol is as incorrect as calling a magazine a clip.

"Revolver: A pistol with revolving chambers enabling several shots to be fired without reloading." — Oxford Dictionary of English (2010 Edition)

"Revolver: A pistol having a revolving cylinder with several cartridge chambers that may be fired in succession." — The American Heritage Dictionary (Third Edition)

:s0165:

Well, according to this... An AR pistol qualifies as a handgun. Thanks

Glad to help. :)

"Revolver: A pistol with revolving chambers enabling several shots to be fired without reloading." — Oxford Dictionary of English (2010 Edition)

"Revolver: A pistol having a revolving cylinder with several cartridge chambers that may be fired in succession." — The American Heritage Dictionary (Third Edition)

Looks like the people who compile dictionaries don't know much about guns. No surprise there. They probably call a magazine a clip too.

Handguns can be divided into two classes: revolvers, and pistols. They are both handguns but they are not the same as each other. A revolver is not a pistol, and vice versa.

Firearms Verification
Gun Control Act Definitions

Pistol

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term "Pistol" means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:
  • a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);
  • and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

68cixeF.png

A revolver obviously doesn't have "chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s)" and therefore doesn't meet the definition of a pistol.

That's why when laws are written intelligently by people who know the difference they mention both pistols and revolvers, because they aren't the same thing.

Definition from Oregon Revised Statutes

"Handgun" means any pistol OR revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.

Pistol
S354b.jpg

Revolver
wqJnA13.jpg

Pistol
remington-41-short-derringer.jpg

Revolver
9UJXLsS.jpg

Pistol
DSC_0990%20Medium_zps2a0tgvgp.jpg

Revolver
YSDws8T.jpg

Pistol
db15_7-5_black_logo_1_.jpg

Revolver
31986-DEFAULT-l.jpg

5mmouw.jpg

Just as with calling a magazine a "clip" as if they are the same thing, even though many people incorrectly call revolvers "pistols" as if they are the same thing, there is a difference! ;)

by-their-proper-name.%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%95-Confucius.jpg

Last Edited:

:s0165:

Glad to help. :)

The pistol revolver thing got going quite a few years back now. Most don't make a big deal of it but a few still seem to. For the law, pistol, revolver, handgun, all mean the same thing. Have to hope everyone knows that? In my state our carry permit is called a Concealed Pistol License. Says when we have a valid one we are allowed to carry a pistol concealed. I have yet to hear of a case where someone was carrying a revolver here and was told the license does not cover that. :D
Now I know in the early days of other states catching up with us and issuing permits to carry some did put restrictions on exactly what you could carry. Some had the (item) you were allowed to carry on the permit and if you wished to carry more than one you had to have another stamp on the permit for each one. Don't know if anyone still does this these days. It was why I was pretty confident OR permits were for any handgun just like ours is.
The one interesting wrinkle is those shorty shotguns Rem and Mossy make. I hear a while ago story here (WA) had them in an ad saying these are not a handgun so no 10 buis. day wait. Heard the state stepped in and said no, they were going through the handgun waiting period. I never heard any more about this but was hoping too. If the sate did put that in writing it would mean those of us with a permit could carry one of those loaded in the vehicle or on the person. I highly doubt whoever in the state came up with the idea had that in mind. :D:D

So apparently Samuel Colt didn't know the difference either? :rolleyes:

I'd like to know where the folks that don't believe a revolver is a pistol got their information. Oh, I know! The ATF. :rolleyes:

In Mr. Colt's defense, it took 136 years after he invented his "revolving pistol" for the ATF to be founded and educate us all. :rolleyes:

But isn't everything the ATF publishes pure truth? You know, like how a sliding piece of plastic that is a bump-stock is, legally speaking, the same as a GE Minigun.:s0112:

Are they both interchangeable legality wise? Like say I want to conceal an AR pistol in a bag. Would that still fall under the law with a valid CHL? Thanks
What matters is whether it was manufacturered as a pistol or rifle. Pistol and handgun mean the same thing in this context and if someone doesn't like it they can go argue for hours on the difference between a silencer and a suppressor.:p :s0003:

Initial 1934 NFA laws restricted all concealable guns (in addition to machine guns etc): pistols, rifles cut down to be concealable, shotguns cut down. That's why we have the barrel and overall length requirements still today. Forfutunately the pistol part got removed before the law was passed.

Now when u get into something like Joe Bob was in a self defense shooting incident and had 1000 rounds rounds of ammo, 12 scopes, 4 lasers, and a grenade launcher attached to his pistol and how that might fly in his court defense for where he lives, well that's a whole different matter.

Last Edited:
Words mean things, but exactly what they mean can change over time. Demanding that people use the correct terminology assumes that everyone knows and agrees on what the current correct terminology is.

Sure, in modern nomenclature, "pistol" and "revolver" are two distinct subsets of "handgun", but the term "pistol" referring to a handgun was in general use for hundreds of years before the revolver was invented, so for most of the history of revolvers, they were simply a type of pistol. So which is true? I guess that depends on who you ask.

It's kind of the same thing with clips and magazines, though I don't think that a clip was ever truly a magazine. It was very common terminology back in the day though, to call a detachable box magazine a "clip". It was considered acceptable back then, and many "gun people" (including Elmer Keith) would often call them clips. If you do any research, you'll find that plenty of firearm industry advertising and even some military usage calling a magazine a clip. My grandfather was a WWII veteran and he always called them clips. Nowadays it's taboo, but only because the meaning has changed, not because the old-timers were stupid.

I know this issue has been beat to death and then some on all gun forums, and there will always be those who get up in arms if they hear someone call a magazine a clip, but a little historical perspective sometimes helps.

Initial 1934 NFA laws restricted all concealable guns (in addition to machine guns etc): pistols, rifles cut down to be concealable, shotguns cut down. That's why we have the barrel and overall length requirements still today. Forfutunately the pistol part got removed before the law was passed.

A lot of people don't realize how close we came to having handguns banned in the U.S., just like they are in most other countries. The gun control fight for decades was always over handguns, and it's only been the last 30 years or so that the focus has shifted to "assault guns" because they weren't getting any traction against handguns.

As discouraging as the gun control push is (especially here in the PNW), the culture has shifted decidedly away from banning handguns.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top