JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I feel like a dummy now! (I'm used to it tho) I was going to sit out fishing until August when I'd turn 65 to be eligible for that sweet $6 Pioneer
license instead of paying $44 for the regular. I just discovered last night that you can get it the year you're going to turn 65 even if your birthdays
Dec 31. I could be fishing now. :(

The app is going in the mail today.

Yep. Happened to me last year.

I did not find out till the fall that you're eligible the year you turn 65.
I was at ODFW And found out by accident. Nowhere in the synopsis does it point this out and when I asked why not, I was given a shoulder shrug.

Yep. Happened to me last year.

I did not find out till the fall that you're eligible the year you turn 65.
I was at ODFW And found out by accident. Nowhere in the synopsis does it point this out and when I asked why not, I was given a shoulder shrug.
You have to be a 50 yr resident do you not?

Yay, I got an email yesterday saying my app had been processed and I could go to any ODFW office that sells licenses to get it.
Problem is that they closed all the offices yesterday. :(
:D

The Pioneer license was free, initially. Now that they've decided to start charging for it, the charge and/or fees will only go up.

I asked the clerk at Bi-Mart if the state was allowing the two fishing pole extra license this year for Willamette Springer season and he said yes, so I paid the extra $25.00 bucks.
Come to find out that the guy didn't know jack and after trolling on the river for a couple of hours last Sunday, a guy fishing near me explained that the state hadn't endorsed it for Springers, just for lake trout fishing.
He said that he didn't care if I continued with two poles, but the fines are steep, so I reeled in.
I'm also turning 65 this year so I'm out an additional $38.00 for the pioneer license.

I was able to get my license at Bimart today! They had to call ODFW and confirm that my app had been processed 1st and then it was good to go.
I didn't know that the parking permit was included and now I have 2 because I bought one last week.
I'll call and see if I can get a refund, if not I'll tell 'em OK I'll just sell it then. ;)

eta just emailed them and within 5 minutes had a reply that i'd be refunded.

Last Edited:
I asked the clerk at Bi-Mart if the state was allowing the two fishing pole extra license this year for Willamette Springer season and he said yes, so I paid the extra $25.00 bucks.
Come to find out that the guy didn't know jack and after trolling on the river for a couple of hours last Sunday, a guy fishing near me explained that the state hadn't endorsed it for Springers, just for lake trout fishing.
He said that he didn't care if I continued with two poles, but the fines are steep, so I reeled in.
I'm also turning 65 this year so I'm out an additional $38.00 for the pioneer license.

Gotta be here for 50 years? SHAT. 37 years, I'll probably not even be able to fish, the way things are going, if I'm even alive. I think it's stoopid having to pay close to $100.00 for Wifey and I to fish a few times a year for trout/bass/perch. I don't even bother with the $100.00 salmon tags anymore, 2nd season now, since the state cut hatchery plants so much.

Glad you're getting out Jeff. I was going to ping you and see if you'd tell me some fish stories this year. I start to ache when I see the bare tree's buds start to swell and turn the iridescent light green color you can see from the harbor.

Yay, I got an email yesterday saying my app had been processed and I could go to any ODFW office that sells licenses to get it.
Problem is that they closed all the offices yesterday. :(
:D

Any options for anywhere else passes are sold to pick it up?

BiMart maybe?

Likely Sportsmans where houses are closed, dunno.

Or maybe a Coastal store? "Should" be open, farm and ranch supplies...

Went out yesterday afternoon and the water was cold and low.
Four guys fishing by themselves and no bites.
The homeless have taken over the N. Basin Ave boat ramp. I was glad that I was carrying, as they are turning into a surly bunch of losers.

Went out yesterday afternoon and the water was cold and low.
Four guys fishing by themselves and no bites.
The homeless have taken over the N. Basin Ave boat ramp. I was glad that I was carrying, as they are turning into a surly bunch of losers.

No enforcement giving them the boot? That would figure.:( "Portland, The City That Works!" Where's that steaming pile emoticon when you need it?

Any options for anywhere else passes are sold to pick it up?

BiMart maybe?

Likely Sportsmans where houses are closed, dunno.

Or maybe a Coastal store? "Should" be open, farm and ranch supplies...
From what I understand, normally you would fill out the app at the ODFW office and they approve it then and you buy the license there.
Due to the virus and their offices being closed you can DL the app, and send it in to the ODFW. They process it, notify you, and
then you can go to anywhere that sells licenses and they call ODFW to verify that its been approved and then issue you the license.

PITA but it worked. You only have to do the application the 1st time, after that its noted in your ODFW profile that you're eligible and then
you can buy online or in stores. I sent the app in on the 18th and got the email back on the 23rd.

Be sure to sign the bottom of the app, my printer cuts off the part where it says "Signature" for some reason.

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/licenses_regs/docs/Pioneer_License.pdf

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews