JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
So I just bought *another* S&W .357. . . and I'm tossing up a mint safe queen to "justify" it.

Older production S&W model 65-2. Pinned barrel, recessed cylinder. Locks up tighter than any S&W revolver I have ever owned. Crane gap & forcing cone both perfect. Heavy barrel model, with serrated combat trigger. Faint turn line. Sweet trigger both SA and DA. Got it years back from an older gent who bought it new -- said he put less than one box of ammo through it -- all .38 spec. Normally I think stories like that are BS, but I believe it on this one.

Wearing the original number-matching walnut grips. Comes with original S&W box and paperwork, including the S&W wrapping paper ;)

This is likely the closest you're going to get to buying a "new" pinned and recessed .357 magnum K-frame.

asking $750 cash. Feel free to PM me with offers. I can send better pics to your email address. Looking to do an in-person transaction w/ an Oregon resident, or I will meet an out-of-state buyer at a Portland FFL for a transfer on their dime. Thanks!

Or trade for one of the following:

An older S&W m27
An older S&W m 29 or 629
A Colt 1911 or other quality "custom style" 1911
A very nice bolt action rifle in 30-06 with a high-power scope.
A very nice bolt action rifle in .22 WMR with a high-power scope, plus cash or an inexpensive handgun.
Other top quality handguns plus cash -- no plastic guns, please.

Re: the m65 -- it is considered by many the ultimate "fighting" K-frame -- to quote a wiser man than me: "the m65 has everything you need, and nothing you don't." No fancy sights to snag your draw, no shrouded ejector rod to slow your reload -- the essential duty weapon from back when the K-frame was the standard sidearm of american law enforcement, made the way they used to make 'em.

IMG_4720.jpg IMG_4724.jpg IMG_4729.jpg

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4729.jpg

Update -- for NWFA forum members only, I'll toss in a S&W factory leather holster with a full price offer (or a really good trade offer). This is one of the old S&W OEM OWB style holsters and is stamped with the S&W emblem. It has a nice patina, and is "period correct" for the m65-2

holstered.jpg

holstered.jpg

Just an FYI - you would need to meet at an FFL in the state of the buyer not them meeting at an Oregon FFL.

Bob
XDs45 (EDC)
NRA Life Member
OFF, SAF

hey Bob, not to hijack the thread, they can meet here in Oregon to do a transfer, but the pistol will be shipped to a FFL in there State.

So I just bought *another* S&W .357. . . and I'm tossing up a mint safe queen to "justify" it.

Older production S&W model 65-2. Pinned barrel, recessed cylinder. Locks up tighter than any S&W revolver I have ever owned. Crane gap & forcing cone both perfect. Heavy barrel model, with serrated combat trigger. Faint turn line. Sweet trigger both SA and DA. Got it years back from an older gent who bought it new -- said he put less than one box of ammo through it -- all .38 spec. Normally I think stories like that are BS, but I believe it on this one.

Wearing the original number-matching walnut grips. Comes with original S&W box and paperwork, including the S&W wrapping paper ;)

This is likely the closest you're going to get to buying a "new" pinned and recessed .357 magnum K-frame.

asking $750 cash, OBRO. Feel free to PM me with offers. I can send better pics to your email address. Looking to do an in-person transaction w/ an Oregon resident, or I will meet an out-of-state buyer at a Portland FFL for a transfer on their dime. Thanks!

Or trade for one of the following:

An older S&W m27
An older S&W m 29 or 629
A Colt 1911 or other quality "custom style" 1911
A very nice bolt action rifle in 30-30 with a high-power scope.
A very nice bolt action rifle in .22 WMR with a high-power scope, plus cash or an inexpensive handgun.
Other top quality handguns plus cash -- no plastic guns, please.

Re: the m65 -- it is considered by many the ultimate "fighting" K-frame -- to quote a wiser man than me: "the m65 has everything you need, and nothing you don't." No fancy sights to snag your draw, no shrouded ejector rod to slow your reload -- the essential duty weapon from back when the K-frame was the standard sidearm of american law enforcement, made the way they used to make 'em.

View attachment 75024View attachment 75025View attachment 75026

If I may be so bold as to ask, how does a shrouded ejector rod slow down a reload??

Best,
Gary

If I may be so bold as to ask, how does a shrouded ejector rod slow down a reload??

Best,
Gary

Hey Gary,

When you have a shrouded ejector like on the m66 or the 686 the shroud can prevent fast access to the ejector lever as the right side is blocked -- you have to push it clear of the shroud to access the ejector, whereas with an exposed no-underlug model you can push the cylinder free using the ejector rod and eject your spent shells all in one motion. With a little practice you can get pretty darn fast.

The old K-frames and the Colt Police Positive were designed this way, and infact when the US Military created the spec for the m1917 it specifically requested the removal of the ejector shroud as had originally been proposed by S&W (History of the Model 1917 S&W revolver...). Given that it is the US military, the real reasoning behind their decision (or lack thereof) will probably never be known.

Yep, I'm a revolver nerd. . .

That isn't to say that you can't be really fast with a shrouded ejector, it is just easier without one. IMHO, I think the primary advantage is weight savings for carry purposes, as a shroud on a screw in barrel contributes nothing to the strength of the revolver -- it merely provides a bit of counterweight for muzzle flip, and looks cool (if you happen to like the style)

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top