JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a new barrel to replace my overly heavy DPMS Kitty Kat 11.5" barrel. It's a full bull barrel.

upload_2019-6-19_15-3-10.jpeg

Nothing wrong with the DPMS except it's heavy as all get out. Adding the can on the end of it makes the whole damn gun stupid heavy. Not what I want.

I like the 11.5" over the 10.5" as I know my reloads velocities too well as well as their drop. That and it's a little easier on the suppressor.

I really want a good barrel, the DPMS has been really good to me and shoots roughly 1" groups. Would like a Wilde chambering over 556 to try and squeeze it under an inch.

Any pointers are appreciated.

So far I'm looking at a handful of great barrels but most don't have pinned blocks.

Picture is for reference to barrel weight, I'm in need of a barrel with lo pro pinned block.

I don't really understand the concept behind Wylde chambered short barrels. I had thought the Wylde chambering was to help with accuracy at distance? Something well beyond reasonably expected from pistol lengths.

You could have the barrel OD turned down in a lathe to reduce weight if that's the main issue of replacing it.
Exactly what I was thinking. It would be cool to find an artistic machinist to work a unique profile on that bbl. I had one thread my barrel. He did it perfectly on a lathe and charged $50

I don't really understand the concept behind Wylde chambered short barrels. I had thought the Wylde chambering was to help with accuracy at distance? Something well beyond reasonably expected from pistol lengths.

Shorter barrels are usually more accurate $ per $ than longer barrels, and .223 wylde should be more accurate $ per $ than 5.56.

You are correct at longer ranges it will be a little slower and have more drop, but out to 200-300 yards a short gun is a lot of fun.

Accuracy via precision machining and velocity from barrel length are two different things. 223 Wylde improves on the 2 other chambers offered regardless of barrel length.

You could have the barrel OD turned down in a lathe to reduce weight if that's the main issue of replacing it.

I thought about this, but DPMS doesn't make these barrels anymore and they have become rare and collectible. I'd rather leave it be and maybe put it in another gun down the road.

I thought about this, but DPMS doesn't make these barrels anymore and they have become rare and collectible. I'd rather leave it be and maybe put it in another gun down the road.

Good choice. I think that barrel assembly is awesome for a brickbubblegumhouse gun.

5.56 chambers can be just as accurate as a Wylde chamber. It has a lot do do with the barrel quality.

You may find you get a little better velocity with the Wylde chamber because it is most definitely smaller.

The barrel length vs velocity vs accuracy debate is more about wind drift than drop. A known distance is easy to correct for. The wind is way harder to judge. Higher velocities and bullets that are more slippery help the bullet to drift less from shot to shot. In variable or gusty winds at longer ranges this is a big deal.

If it were me i would keep that DPMS barrel. You can cut off the front sight post & the bayonet lug with a sawz all. Then grind it all smooth. Then you will have a nice pinned gas block. Get some high temp paint to protect the exposed steel.

Then you can put a nice free float rail on there. That will help tremendously with accuracy.

Heavy barrels are way better for high round count!!!!! Especially suppressed!! They don't heat up and point in a different direction.

You should be able to get at least 4,000 good rounds out that barrel. If it shoots 1.5 MOA or less you are in great shape. 4.5 inch groups at 300 yards with a close quarters rifle is more than satisfactory.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top